Napoleonic Wargame Club (NWC)

The Rhine Tavern

*   NWC   NWC Staff   NWC Rules   NWC (DoR) Records   About Us   Send Email Inquiry to NWC

*   La Grande Armée Quartier Général    La Grande Armée Officer Records    Join La Grande Armée

*   Allied Coalition   Allied Officers   Join Coalition

*   Coalition Armies:   Austro-Prussian-Swedish Army   Anglo Allied Army (AAA)   Imperial Russian Army

Forums:    ACWGC    CCC     Home:    ACWGC    CCC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 7:32 am 

What is acceptable in the way of engagements for dawn/dusk/night phases in HPS.
I have recently started a Cobexlaw Talavera with Ed Blackburn, the starting point being dusk. After eight moves of one hundred we found ourselves in a full-blown battle. Fortunately I was fighting not only a brave and gallant officer but also a honourable one. We have decided to restart with some basic rules.
1) Dusk or dawn, charges acceptable if charging and charged within four hexes.
2) No charges in night period.
3) In night period melees only skirmisher against skirmisher.
Does this give a reasonable balance between game engine and historic accuracy?

General Baron Bruce Hall, la 2e Garde d'Honneur,
1er Brigade
2eme Div de Cuirassier
Le Corps de Calvary de IV,
L'armée des Rhin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:54 am 

That sounds reasonable. I've tended to draw the "rules" a bit differently, but that's more or less within reason. My general feeling is that if troops are "in contact" when dusk hits, they can continue to fight it out. Otherwise, I simply use night to reorginize, and get my reserves into useful places.

Feldzeugmeister Gary McClellan
1st Jäger Bn
Brigade Wintzergerode
Chief of Staff Imperial Austrian Army

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 11:08 am 

Well, at least in european tradition the answer would be yes. Russian army was also very much affected by asian foes - turks, caucasians and so on. And poles as well, so there were numerous examples of night and twilight fights. Including charges as well. For example:
"Finding out that the night from 8th to 9th september in the village Tcharukovo the will be detachment of Major General Zeichmaister with cavalry of austrian avante garde (about 800 sabres altogether including austrians and poles) graf Lambert decided to attack enemy. About the midnight of september 8th he with his detachment crossed the Styr' river and headed toward Thcarukovo. To deal with enemy picquets 15 okhotnikov [volontiers-AK] were sent out. They were selected from Tatarian Uhlans regiment among the soldiers knowing german and were dressed in austrian raincoats and helmets. Graf Lambert sure in bravery of his troops and precise following to the orders gived decided to attack enemy, regardless disadvantage in numbers. A sotnya [hundred - a troops of cossack cavalry equivivalent of regular squadron, usually 70-150 men strong-AK] and squadron of tartarian uhlans were sent toward Nesvisz to observe enemy. With remaining troops he followed right toward Tcharukovo to cross the river in it and to attack enemy's flank and rear. Making a night march the avante garde uhlans were halted by a picquet but called themselves an Austrian Imperial patrol. Closing the managed to capture this picquet to a single man, but during the action a pistol shot was made. Graf Lambert reasoning that this shot could warn the enemy , leaving the Arzamass dragouns regiment in reserve at the settlement [Tcharukovo-AK] with remaining 5 squadrons went on at etended trot to the enemy's camp right flank. Not coming to that there was an enemy squadron met. Aleksandrian hussars charge followed. It was supported by Tartarian Uhlans. Austrian squadron was overrun and the detachment of graf Lambert charged into the enemy camp. As a result enemy was completely defeated and while chassing a great number of the was killed. For this action all the 15 okhotnikov were awarded - younkers were promoted to cornets and the others [read towaryshy and sherenosznye - i.e. privates] were given the signs of Military Order"

Gents! It's a shame you could not read it in russian.... My appologies for spoiling this wonderful text with my worthless translation[:I]

My two cents[:)]

Malorossiyskogo Grenaderskogo Polku
Polkovnik Anton Kosyanenko
2ya Grenaderskaya Diviziya,
8oi Pekhotnyi Korpus,
2ya Zapadnaya Armiya