Napoleonic Wargame Club (NWC)

The Rhine Tavern

*   NWC   NWC Staff   NWC Rules   NWC (DoR) Records   About Us   Send Email Inquiry to NWC

*   La Grande Armée Quartier Général    La Grande Armée Officer Records    Join La Grande Armée

*   Allied Coalition   Allied Officers   Join Coalition

*   Coalition Armies:   Austro-Prussian-Swedish Army   Anglo Allied Army (AAA)   Imperial Russian Army

Forums:    ACWGC    CCC     Home:    ACWGC    CCC
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:57 am 

I'm fully agree with Paco.

General de Brigade Yann Lamézec
Comte de Davout
CO 2ème division de cavalerie légère
ADN2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 10:08 am 

Général de Division D.S. "Green Horse" Walter
Baron d'Empire, Duc des Pyramides
Commandant 3ème Division, VIème Corps Bavarois, L'Armée du Rhin
Brigade de Tirailleurs de la Jeune Garde

""Faithful and solid"? Nice motto"

Sir,

After being assigned to the 11th Light Dragoons my research lead me to the following web sites:

Land Forces of Britain, the Empire, and Commonwealth

http://www.regiments.org/regiments/uk/cav/D11h.htm

http://www.regiments.org/tradition/mottoes.htm

Where Treu und Fest is defined as Staunch and Steadfast (Ger.)

Are you sure of your translation? Maybe the German meaning has evolved over time?

2nd Lt. Jon Graswich
<font color="red">11th Light Dragoons
4th Cavalry Brigade
Anglo-Allied Cavalry Corps
H.Q. Staff</font id="red">

<i>Treu und Fest</i>
<i>Staunch and Steadfast</i>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 5:24 pm 

All that's really happening here is that we are running headlong into the inevitable limitations of the system. Obviously, given the knowledge that everyone has, there is no problem with the "Full Barrett". It's not unethical, immoral, or unclean. (It's truly ugly to see from my side, but that's beside the point.)

This sort of play is more noticable in Waterloo simply for a couple of reasons. First of all, it's probably the one game that the most people in the club have in common. You may not own Eckmuhl or NIR or PTW or Wagram, but you have BGW. Then, the natural development of the game will draw one to certain tactics. The Full Barrett is really the equivalent to Queens' Gambit Refused. A known approach that sets the game down certain lines. It may be the single most effective French approach, which tends to draw players to it.

Campaign Waterloo will repair it, but only to a certain extent. Not even the campaign system can "hide" knowledge sufficiently to keep us from knowing far too much about our enemy. It's just something we have to deal with.

Now, I just need to figure out how to draw the Full Barrett into the McClellan Meat Grinder (tm and pat pending)...

FML Gary McClellan
1st Jäger Bn
Chief of Staff Imperial Austrian Army

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 5:29 pm 

Lt. Graswich,

The English have a very poor track record translating foreign mottos into the Queen's tongue. The most famous example is their translation of General Cambronne's "<i>merde</i>" as "The Guard dies but never surrenders."[:D]

Regards,

Paco

<i>Maréchal</i> M. Francisco Palomo
<i>Comte de Marseille
Duc d'Abrantes</i>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 7:10 pm 
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Jon Graswich</i>
Where Treu und Fest is defined as Staunch and Steadfast (Ger.)

Are you sure of your translation? Maybe the German meaning has evolved over time?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Just trying to kid you a bit ... of course "faithful and solid" is a very literal translation, especially the "solid" part. Certainly a regimental motto (especially the Cherrypickers's of Harry Flashman fame [;)]) warrants are more flowery interpretation. [8D]

Commandant [url="http://home.arcor.de/dierk_Walter/NWC/3_VI_AdR_Home.htm"]3ème Division[/url], VIème Corps Bavarois, L'Armée du Rhin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 8:01 pm 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by paco</i>
<br />Lt. Graswich,

The English have a very poor track record translating foreign mottos into the Queen's tongue. The most famous example is their translation of General Cambronne's "<i>merde</i>" as "The Guard dies but never surrenders."[:D]

Regards,

Paco

<i>Maréchal</i> M. Francisco Palomo
<i>Comte de Marseille
Duc d'Abrantes</i>

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Paco

In fact, it's Michelet (a famous french historian of nineteenth century)which changed "merde" by "La Garde se meurt mais ne se rend pas". But,I agree with you in spirit.
I agree too with Allied officers :
- it's a scandalous that french young officers can have a tactic which forbid senior allied officers to beat them easily as they plan to do.[:o)]
- It's a scandalous that Waterloo can have a different result than in history.
- It's a scandalous that French can begin an attack against english position. They just have to be fixe until the end of the game.
In fact, it's scandalous that French officer can win a battle.

It's A JOKE ![:D][8D][:o)][:D][:)][8D][:p]
Eh eh, let me pay the first round

Best regards

Yann

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 8:09 pm 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by D.S. Walter</i>
Just trying to kid you a bit ... <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Now that's just not fair. You know us Brits aren't the most confident with all these foreign words.

In actual fact, Staunch and Steadfast translated from English into Foreign would actually read:

<font size="6">STO-AW-N-CH ET ST-É-D-FA-ST!!</font id="size6">

<font color="orange">Majoor Peter Robinson
Commander I Corps
[url="http://www.geocities.com/militaireacademie"]Koninklijke Militaire Academie[/url] Adjutant
3rd (Prince of Wales's) Dragoon Guards</font id="orange">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:12 pm 

Depends what part you are from. Stornch an stidfas would be a better translation for Birmingham. I am always redirecting lost foreign and southern students on campus trying to find Mine Gite.

This of course deflects from the subject of Barrett and his anal humour which is driving me potty.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 2:20 am 

From a French players point of view it is quite a straightforward decision as to tactics.

First: No French player worth his Baton would assume that the Prussians would arrive late. He must assume that the Prussians arrive on time.

Second: Given the first point, why should the French player dither?
The only hope of success is to crush the allied line and prepare for the Prussian arrival.

The Full Barrett accomplishes this nicely.

As for "Historical Play":

Provided I comply with any house rules set out at the start then I am free to do as I please with my army. The object of the game is to have fun, learn something along the way ( Merci Mon General Barrett ) and of course win.

My two cents

Marechal John Corbin
Chief of Staff
La Grande Armee

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 2:31 am 

Well to complicate the language issue not only am I not English (American), but from Texas.

So y'all just lemme no if we all need to change the ol motto.

2nd Lt. Jon Graswich
4th Cavalry Brigade

<i>Treu und Fest</i>

<i>Faithful and Solid</i>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 3:00 am 
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Jon Graswich</i>
So y'all just lemme no if we all need to change the ol motto.

I think "stained and stubborn", sorry, "staunch and steadfast" is fine. [;)]

Commandant [url="http://home.arcor.de/dierk_Walter/NWC/3_VI_AdR_Home.htm"]3ème Division[/url], VIème Corps Bavarois, L'Armée du Rhin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 3:32 am 
TEXAS!!

Well then the motto should be translated thusly:

Stupid and Stuck!

hehehe....

Red River humour gang, don't go pullin' the plug. Texians and Okies do this all the time, and our border is still demilitarized ....

mostly. [:p]

Colonel (ret) Al Amos
1er Dragoons
AdN

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 3:54 am 

Al,
Demilitarized?

Have you looked at most pickups lately? I live 5 miles from the border, and while there are no checkpoints, the typical pickup is armed better than most third world nations.

Hm... I take it back, there ARE checkpoints... the next county over in Texas is dry, and so right on our side of the line are dives/honkey tonks

FML Gary McClellan
1st Jäger Bn
Chief of Staff Imperial Austrian Army

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 5:32 am 

Al,

I know that y'all ain't an Okie because clearly I see from your post that you can read and write[:D]

"Have you looked at most pickups lately? I live 5 miles from the border, and while there are no checkpoints, the typical pickup is armed better than most third world nations."

Gary,

As the NRA has plainly stated it is Constitutional right for every truck owning American to have a mounted rifle rack in the cab with a deer rifle, a shotgun, and a cattle prod. Oh yeah, and a 20mm Bofors mounted in the bed of the pickup and of, course, you are allowed to tow whatever artillery your truck's trailer hitch is rated for.

2nd Lt. Jon "Tex" Graswich
4th Cavalry Brigade

<i>Treu und Fest</i>

<i>Faithful and Solid</i>
<i>Stained and Stubborn</i>
<i>Stupid and Stuck</i>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 6:57 am 
As the NRA has plainly stated it is Constitutional right for every truck owning American to have a mounted rifle rack in the cab with a deer rifle, a shotgun, and a cattle prod. Oh yeah, and a 20mm Bofors mounted in the bed of the pickup and of, course, you are allowed to tow whatever artillery your truck's trailer hitch is rated for.

I guess we're lucky that they don't allow twin turrets of 14" guns then. [:p]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next