Napoleonic Wargame Club (NWC)

The Rhine Tavern

*   NWC   NWC Staff   NWC Rules   NWC (DoR) Records   About Us   Send Email Inquiry to NWC

*   La Grande Armée Quartier Général    La Grande Armée Officer Records    Join La Grande Armée

*   Allied Coalition   Allied Officers   Join Coalition

*   Coalition Armies:   Austro-Prussian-Swedish Army   Anglo Allied Army (AAA)   Imperial Russian Army

Forums:    ACWGC    CCC     Home:    ACWGC    CCC
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 7:05 am 

"I guess we're lucky that they don't allow twin turrets of 14" guns then."

Well actually Walter we do down in Houston..........

http://www.usstexasbb35.com/

2nd Lt. Jon "Tex" Graswich
<font color="red">11th Light Dragoons
4th Cavalry Brigade
Anglo-Allied Cavalry Corps
H.Q. Staff</font id="red">

<i>Treu und Fest</i>
<i>Staunch and Steadfast</i>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 9:50 am 
So this is how your pickup trucks look? Ahhhh .... [8)]

Général de Division D.S. "Green Horse" Walter
Baron d'Empire, Duc des Pyramides
Commandant [url="http://home.arcor.de/dierk_Walter/NWC/3_VI_AdR_Home.htm"]3ème Division[/url], VIème Corps Bavarois, L'Armée du Rhin
Brigade de Tirailleurs de la Jeune Garde

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:21 am 

Do you guys get Ali G in the States? I heard he almost got beat up during an NRA meeting - I've not seen the episode. I did see the 'Throw the Jew down the well' episode which I think was filmed in Texas - absolutely hilarious if a little disturbing.

If you've not seen it, I just found this: http://www.campchaos.com/show.php?iID=866 [:D]

<font color="orange">Majoor Peter Robinson
Commander I Corps
[url="http://www.geocities.com/militaireacademie"]Koninklijke Militaire Academie[/url] Adjutant
3rd (Prince of Wales's) Dragoon Guards</font id="orange">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 3:20 pm 

Gary,
if you would like to see the McClellan Meat Grinder (times two in this case), please send me a turn of our Peninsula Battle. My wife is out of town and a man can only watch so much baseball, I think.

Lt. Gen Jim P.
Austrian Cav.

2/III/AotM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 4:08 pm 
Pick up Truck,

a)<i>noun</i>, used by male citizens from Texas to court females from Texas. Ideally equipped with: 1) A cattle prod, used to separate the selected "evening's date" from the rest of the herd; 2) A deer rifle to wing said "evening's date" in an effort to escape once she starts talking marriage; and 3) A shotgun, to be used as a dowry for daddy-in-law's use during said marriage. (traditional definition.)

b) <i>noun</i>, similar to definition "a" except roles are reversed. Female Texans "courting" Male Texans. In this case, Pick-up Trucks are ideally equipped with: 1) A deer rifle to bring intended 'mate' to gound; 2) Shotgun, being held by DADDY ready for ensuing wedding after a successful hunting season ..uh... date: 3) A branding iron, to mark 'her man'. (more recent definition.)

----
Jon, you're correct I'm not a native OKIE. Like Gary McClellan, I'm a transplant.

Colonel (ret) Al Amos
1er Dragoons
AdN

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:50 pm 

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.

Returning from a week of work, with a thirst to match that of a herd of dehydrated camels, I arrive at my customary perch at the bar, all set to ease the strain on the seam of my purse, fair bulging with the rewards from my toils.

But hark! What is this unholy din that assails my poor ears. This is not the jovial banter of friend and foe alike that once sallied back and forth across the room; and around the tables, like cavalry around a square.

Listen to the walls, can you still hear the murmurings of Paul Harris, Neil Henderson, or the ravings of the mad Vice-Roi, Eugene himself with his 600 room, multi-story campaign tent with rotating gun turret and devilishly cunning cream pie flinger[?]

It grows harder to hear now, but if you listen very carefully, yuo may just catch it above this frighful din.

And what is this noise of which I speak? It is none other than the bleating of the sheeple; a defeated sheeple. Where is the spirit that enabled Wellington to hold his line together long enough to allow the Prussians to arrive and share in the victory?

There are only two certainties in life. You will pay taxes and you will die. Not a long list by any stretch of the imagination; and clearly contains no <i><font color="yellow">'You will be defeated each time you play the Allies at BGW'</font id="yellow"></i> clause.

For all else, I recommend following the philosophy of Peter O'Toole in the (second best line of the) movie when T.E Lawrence declares <i><font color="yellow">'Nothing is written!'</font id="yellow"></i>

To every strategy there must be an effective counter. It may not be pretty, it may not be Napoleonic, but it will be effective.

Turn 10 vs. the up-tempo French assault

<u>Allies</u>
Infantry: 12,650
Cavalry: 4,225
Artillery: 47

<u>French</u>
Infantry: 14,775
Cavalry: 3,800
Artillery: 106 (that's <i>one hundred and six</i> and rising [:0])

Prussians - enjoying a leisurely luncheon at Wavre [:D]

Employing similar tactics for the Allies against Theron Lambert, I got tonked right off the field; so no strategy is perfect, it depends on execution and exploitation of every one of your opponent's errors.

Finding the appropriate tactics to nullify this French strategy has been an interesting challenge. That said, my preference remains to play the games, employing units in a somewhat more historic format than stacking skirmishers to the maximum capacity of a hex to gain as many shots as possible.

For those who do not like (or want) the challenge of overcoming this manoeuvre, I recommend more care when selecting an opponent. There are still those out there for whom the accuracy of the simulation of period tactics is more important than the outcome of the game.

Now then barkeep, help ease the burden of my weighty purse, by exchanging a small portion of its contents, for a barrel of your finest ale. And Barrett, ny good man, when I start a-sluring and a-dribbling, please knock me down with your Friday night drinking bucket, lest I reveal the means with which to stone-wall your assault.

Cheers

GdD Eason
Comte de quelque chose
Duc à l'orange
VII Corps