Napoleonic Wargame Club (NWC)

The Rhine Tavern

*   NWC   NWC Staff   NWC Rules   NWC (DoR) Records   About Us   Send Email Inquiry to NWC

*   La Grande Armée Quartier Général    La Grande Armée Officer Records    Join La Grande Armée

*   Allied Coalition   Allied Officers   Join Coalition

*   Coalition Armies:   Austro-Prussian-Swedish Army   Anglo Allied Army (AAA)   Imperial Russian Army

Forums:    ACWGC    CCC     Home:    ACWGC    CCC
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: multiple target
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 1:54 am 

just a question[?]
I wander why the artillery shoots of my opponent (with french) in NIR (death in the fleches) affect all the units in an hex, and not mine[B)]
is there something to do for that[?]

Lieutenant Christian Rizo
58e Régiment de Ligne
1e Brigade
11e Division
IIIe Corps
Armée du Nord

"Un Hussard qui n'est pas mort à 30 ans est un jean-foutre" - LaSalle

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 2:09 am 

If 2 or more units are in column formation and they are fired upon then all units are assessed casualties, regardless of which unit you selected in the target selection dialogue box.

If 2 or more units in a hex are in line and are fired upon then only the unit selected as a target is assessed casualties.

Cavalry is not affected this way however....

If you several squadrons in a hex and target one squadron then only that squadron is assessed casualties.

Marechal John Corbin
Chief of Staff
La Grande Armee

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:38 am 
I thought it affected all units in line formation during a flanking shot.
While in column only the unit fired upon is affected.

Col Dalley
2éme Régiment Garde d'Honneur
Division de Cavalerie
la Jeune Garde

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 2:23 am 

Christian

If it is Battleground NIR that you are playing and not the HPS - NRC game, then Steve is almost right.

Artillery against line formation is unusual in the Battleground game.

If the fire is against the front of a battalion in line formation (that is from a hex facing one of the two front hexes of the battalion) then only the front battalion in the hex can be hit. Other units in the same hex, behind the battalion in line, can not be hit - unless the other units are also battalions in line formation in the same hex, in which case all of them will be hit.

If the other units in the hex are in front of the battalion in line, like skirmishers in the same hex, only one of the units (battalion or skirmish company) can be hit.

In the case of enfilade fire, the same seems to apply.

I tried with two battalions in line with a battalion in column and a two skirmish companies in a hex and only the two battalions in line were hit.

The answer is, do not have more than one battalion in line in a single hex. If you need multiple battalions in a hex, form them in column.

Regards

Mark
VII Corps

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 7:32 am 

The big advantage of having more than one line in a hex is: NONE!

Even if you put two lines in the same hex in case one of them is eliminated by artillery/infantry fire the losses are crippling. They are not divided if I remember correctly. Each unit is shot on and losses are similar to what one unit suffers.

No advantage for multiple shots FROM the hex that has two lines is profitable either.

We just disucssed this in my playtest group. The topic was brought up that if you have two 500 man Lines vs. one 1000 man line battalian then the latter has the advantage as it only draws one shot of ADF (speaking of the HPS games now) and only one morale test. Losses against it will not cause it to disorder as easily either. Going into square with one battalian is without the annoyance of one of the battalians failing its test and disordering the other units.

I liked to put ONE Russian line in a hex - it stays faced forward after an attack and a charge is stopped dead in its tracks as a result.

Oberst Wilhelm Peters
2nd Kuirassiers, Reserve Korps, Austrian Army