Napoleonic Wargame Club (NWC)

The Rhine Tavern

*   NWC   NWC Staff   NWC Rules   NWC (DoR) Records   About Us   Send Email Inquiry to NWC

*   La Grande Armée Quartier Général    La Grande Armée Officer Records    Join La Grande Armée

*   Allied Coalition   Allied Officers   Join Coalition

*   Coalition Armies:   Austro-Prussian-Swedish Army   Anglo Allied Army (AAA)   Imperial Russian Army

Forums:    ACWGC    CCC     Home:    ACWGC    CCC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 3:17 am 

While browsing books to buy at Amazon.com I came across a book that supposedly details how Ney escaped the firing squad and amde it to America...

Has anyone read this book ?

Is it a real schollarly work or just musing's ?

Marechal John Corbin
Chief of Staff
La Grande Armee

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 3:41 am 

Not really familiar with the book itself, but it's been a long held fringe theory.

Probably not as credible as the Nap was poisoned books
More credible than the Hitler in Bolivia books.

FML Gary McClellan
1st Jäger Bn
Chief of Staff Imperial Austrian Army

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 4:16 am 
John,

Is it a thin book with a guy in front of a firing squad with red, white and blue colors used on the cover? If so, never heard of it. hehehe... just kidding.

I had a book thusly described on the topic. Sounded more like someone who wanted to claim Ney as a relative, than a serious history.

Can't say I blame them. We all like to have famous people in family tree. I can honestly say our family's roots go all the way back to Adam and Eve. [:D]

Colonel (ret) Al Amos
1er Dragoons
AdN

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:42 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Al Amos</i>
<br />John,

Is it a thin book with a guy in front of a firing squad with red, white and blue colors used on the cover? If so, never heard of it. hehehe... just kidding.

I had a book thusly described on the topic. Sounded more like someone who wanted to claim Ney as a relative, than a serious history.

Can't say I blame them. We all like to have famous people in family tree. I can honestly say our family's roots go all the way back to Adam and Eve. [:D]

Colonel (ret) Al Amos
1er Dragoons
AdN
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Ok - this theory reminds me of the Jesse James story.

Supposedly he wasnt killed by the Ford brothers and they used the body of a relative with a similar name to put in his casket.

Jesse later went on to be the Governor of Montana.

And so on and so forth.

I have the little booklet and it makes interesting reading but is it true?

Which leads to:

Question: were the first tadpoles named Adam and Eve? [:D]

Oberst Wilhelm Peters
2nd Kuirassiers, Reserve Korps, Austrian Army

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:43 am 

Al, you're from Oklahoma so I'd have to see proof of that Adam & Eve thing. [:D]

Lt. General Sir Mark Nelms K.G.
1st Regiment of Foot Guards

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 1:07 am 

I lived in Wilmington, NC. In Wilmington there is a large public garden that was once the grounds of a plantation. In one area there is a lone grave marker and according to provided information buried there is a "French Marshal of Napoleon's Army" I have also heard rumors that Ney made it to America and that he was in North Carolina at the time of his death.

Marechal Jonathan Thayer
Moyenne Garde
Duc de Saalfeld et Prince de Friedland
10/III
Armee du Nord

jonathanthayer@bellsouth.net

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 3:48 am 
Okay Mark,

They had no belly-buttons. There now only families would keep that kind of trivia. [:D]

Colonel (ret) Al Amos
1er Dragoons
AdN

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 5:24 pm 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Al Amos</i>
<br />Okay Mark,

They had no belly-buttons. There now only families would keep that kind of trivia. [:D]

Colonel (ret) Al Amos
1er Dragoons
AdN

Families or elephants![:D]

Oberst Wilhelm Peters
2nd Kuirassiers, Reserve Korps, Austrian Army

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 1:52 am 

if you are still interested in Ney: http://www.napoleon-series.org/faq/c_ney.html

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Did Marshal Ney Die in 1815 or Did He Escape to America?
By Tom Holmberg

The book, Historic Doubts as to the Execution of Marshal Ney by James A. Weston (N.Y.: Whittaker, 1895) presents the theory that Marshal Ney escaped from France after a staged execution to live in the United States as a schoolmaster. The evidence presented is tenuous at best, on a par with the theory that Elvis is still alive. In late 1819, a somewhat mysterious stranger going by the name Peter Stuart Ney appeared in South Carolina, where he was hired as a schoolmaster. Three years later P.S. Ney moved to North Carolina where he taught school in various communities until his death on 15 November 1846.

P.S. Ney had certain general physical similarities to the famous French Marshal, he was "vaguely" foreign, and bore scars similar to those the Marshal may have had. P.S. Ney allowed people to believe him to be the famous Marshal; on occasion, especially when he'd been drinking, he would declare himself to be the Marshal. Supposedly certain, unnamed, Frenchmen and foreigners recognized P.S. Ney as the Marshal at various times during his 'stay in America.'

As for the rest of the evidence it consists of statements such as that P.S. Ney was an excellent horseman and fencer, that he had a military bearing, and other characteristics he might have shared with the Marshal. Similarities were noticed between P.S. Ney's handwriting and the Marshal's. Supposedly Ney escaped execution through the intervention of Wellington and was unable to return to France (while the monarchy reigned) under threat of death.

P.S. Ney's last words were reportedly: "Bessieres is dead, and the Old Guard is defeated; now let me die." He was also reported to have confessed on his deathbed to being the Marshal. The inscription on his tombstone reads, in part: "...Peter Stuart Ney, a native of France and a soldier of the French Revolution under Napoleon Bonaparte..."

Editor's Note: Several graduates of Davidson College in North Carolina have told me that one of their school's legends is that Marshal Ney taught there after faking his execution in France. Could they have been referring to Peter Ney?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

<font color="green"> <b>Général de Division David Guégan Comte de Toulon, Duc de Nimes</b>
Co 11eme division
III Corps, AdN
Co Division d'Infanterie de la Jeune Garde, Garde Impériale Image

http://home.earthlink.net/~davidguegan/</font id="green">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 2:04 am 

And close to where I live there is the following information: http://library.davidson.edu/archives/ency/ney.asp

<font color="green"> <b>Général de Division David Guégan Comte de Toulon, Duc de Nimes</b>
Co 11eme division
III Corps, AdN

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 2:55 am 

DNA evidence would be more conclusive. It is an interesting story, though.

<b><font color="gold">Ernie Sands
GdB,1er Brig,1eme Div,VI Corps,AdR
President, Colonial Campaign Club
</b></font id="gold">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 4:20 am 

Yes what ever is the truth about it, the story is interesting. Even if this Peter Stuart wasn't Michel Ney...

Co 11eme division
III Corps, AdN

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 6:15 am 
I think that the most important thing is that Marshall Ney stepped out of history after the date of his execution.

Was he able to escape from his punishment? Who really cares since after December 7th, 1815, he didn't influence History of Europe anymore.

[url="mailto:pyguinard@hotmail.com"]Capt. Pierre-Yves Guinard[/url],
6e Division, II Corp
AdN

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 8:20 am 
"Who really cares..."

So if a person isn't influencing the "History of Europe" it doesn't matter what happens to him, or if he even exists?

Colonel (ret) Al Amos
1er Dragoons
AdN

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 12:16 pm 
<br />"Who really cares..."

So if a person isn't influencing the "History of Europe" it doesn't matter what happens to him, or if he even exists?

Colonel (ret) Al Amos
1er Dragoons
AdN

Col Amos, you know I meant. [:D]

<b><i>Maréchal Michel Ney , duc d’Elchingen, prince de la Moskowa</i></b> had ceased to exist even if his flesh could have been alive somewhere.

The guy claiming that he was Marshall Ney when he had to much to drink is as interesting as me writing this message...

...or you reading it! [:p]
<font color="beige">
(This said in a friendly way, of course [:)])</font id="beige">

[url="mailto:pyguinard@hotmail.com"]Capt. Pierre-Yves Guinard[/url],
6e Division, II Corp
AdN