Napoleonic Wargame Club (NWC)

The Rhine Tavern

*   NWC   NWC Staff   NWC Rules   NWC (DoR) Records   About Us   Send Email Inquiry to NWC

*   La Grande Armée Quartier Général    La Grande Armée Officer Records    Join La Grande Armée

*   Allied Coalition   Allied Officers   Join Coalition

*   Coalition Armies:   Austro-Prussian-Swedish Army   Anglo Allied Army (AAA)   Imperial Russian Army

Forums:    ACWGC    CCC     Home:    ACWGC    CCC
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 6:47 pm 

Hello fellow Scholars,

I am in the process of doing an extensive study of the Battle of the Nations (Leipzig), from Oct 16-19, 1813, and was interested in collecting as many OOB sources as possible. I am particularly interested in units' STRENGTHS and MORALE attributes (e.g. Young Guard are typically rated as "elite" formations when in fact they were simply the best of the conscripts for that year and probably were no better than "veterans")

I currently have several common & well known reference sources, such as:

Nafziger's "Napoleon at Leipzig"
Bowden's "Napoleon's Grande Armee of 1813"
Digby Smith's "1813 Leipzig"
Petre's "Napoleon's Last Campaign in Germany, 1813"
Osprey's Campaign #25 "Leipzig 1813"
Per-Eric Jansson's "Leipzig"
Anschluss' "Leipzig 1813"

Are there any other obvious sources that I am missing? Are there any useful websites that have "mnore detailed", "newer", "better", or "more accurate" OOB data for this decisive battle? What is the conventional wisdom on all these sources... are any thought to be more credible than others?

I always respected Nafziger's research. I note that Nafziger has a website called "Nafziger's Collection", which includes separate Allied (20 pages) and French (18 pages) OOB's. Are these more detailed (in terms of #'s) than what is in his book "Napoleon at Leipzig"?

I really do appreciate any references, data, and information that you provide... thanks so much!

Feel free to respond to this thread or directly to my home email of tcavallin1@cogeco.ca

Lt Tim Cavallin, AdR

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 4:18 am 

The book Imperial Sunset by Delderfield is a good one.

Maréchal Tony R.Malone, Comte d'Auvergne et Duc de Vauchamps: Division d'Infanterie de la Moyenne Garde; CDR III Corps Armee Du Nord
"The Guard may die, But it never surrenders".