Napoleonic Wargame Club (NWC)

The Rhine Tavern

*   NWC   NWC Staff   NWC Rules   NWC (DoR) Records   About Us   Send Email Inquiry to NWC

*   La Grande Armée Quartier Général    La Grande Armée Officer Records    Join La Grande Armée

*   Allied Coalition   Allied Officers   Join Coalition

*   Coalition Armies:   Austro-Prussian-Swedish Army   Anglo Allied Army (AAA)   Imperial Russian Army

Forums:    ACWGC    CCC     Home:    ACWGC    CCC
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Fuentes #112
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:14 pm 

Played a mirror match of this one with Andy.

This is an impossible situation for the French. I marched the French to a major defeat. Andy pulled out a minor defeat, but I made two colossal blunders in the game as the Allies. (Note: Do not drink and wargame.) Even with my blunders, there was no way I could see the French pulling out even a draw unless they chose to just march off the map and not engage.

I'm not sure how to balance it better. The Allies have a very strong defensive position full of village hexes and walls. Their 2-line infantry will tear the French apart. I know historically it was not a great idea for the French to attack this position, and in that respect, the scenario plays out appropriately.

If you are looking for a scenario where both sides have an equal chance of winning, this is not it.

Post subject: Re: Fuentes #112
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:24 pm 

I there any chance of flanking the position? My opponent tried that in 113 scenario but with mixed results--my counterattack north of the town threw them back but the French nearly got to the village in the south and should have pushed harder..

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:15 pm 

There is not much room. The map is pretty much just Fuentes.

I did "allow" Andy to pretty much surround me and to borrow about 20 of my cannons. Still didn't make a difference. We were 100-150 points away from it being a draw.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:06 am 

Yes. You can flank and even surround the position. But the town itself with villages and walls becomes like Stalingrad. The British infantry and artillery can cause major damage to an attacker. And they have sufficient resources to counterattack as well.
We are now trying scenario 115 as that has more strategic possibilities.