Napoleonic Wargame Club (NWC)

The Rhine Tavern

*   NWC   NWC Staff   NWC Rules   NWC (DoR) Records   About Us   Send Email Inquiry to NWC

*   La Grande Armée Quartier Général    La Grande Armée Officer Records    Join La Grande Armée

*   Allied Coalition   Allied Officers   Join Coalition

*   Coalition Armies:   Austro-Prussian-Swedish Army   Anglo Allied Army (AAA)   Imperial Russian Army

Forums:    ACWGC    CCC     Home:    ACWGC    CCC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Reading vs. eReading
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:41 pm 

I suspect the average is above 40 and those in and around 40 are the younger members.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:52 pm 

Richard Bradshaw wrote:
So what is the average age of this club? I get the impression Grecian Formula grey hair removal people could make a killing here. I just turned 59 so I am feeling right at home .... retirement home :) I assume older software does not attract those young folk, other than your children?

I assume that you need actual hair in order to use Grecian formula right? :D

2ème Brigade,
2ème Division,
1er Corps d'Armée,
La Grande Armée

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:52 pm 

While we are talking books I recommend The Campaigns of Napoleon by David Chandler, it is my favorite book and I bought it back in 1969! Great maps and over a 1000 pages of information by one of Great Britain's leading Napoleonic Historians.

Battle On...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:54 pm 

I also love Chandler and my copy of the book is well used.

There was a new version put out a whike back. Is there anything i. It that makes it worth buying again?

2ème Brigade,
2ème Division,
1er Corps d'Armée,
La Grande Armée

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:01 pm 

I did not know they printed a newer version, but Amazon has used copies selling for $100 to $200 and the kindle version going for $65 and that is a lot of money. I remember spending more than 1/2 of a weeks wages to buy my copy, but that was more than a few years ago.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:18 pm 
Chandler's The Campaigns of Napoleon is an absolute must for every collection. I bought mine in 1991, but it is the same 1966 version that Al has. I have no idea about a more recent printing, but my guess is that there would be a very minimal difference. I spent a rather long quest trying to locate Esposito/Elting's, A Military History and Atlas of the Napoleonic Wars. Thank God they republished it in 1999. Another classic read is David Hamilton-Williams', Waterloo New Perspectives.

There are, of course, numerous others, but these three are certainly among my very favorites.

Now, to answer some of the other questions, I will be 52 next month and a bottle of Grecian Formula lasts me quite a long time. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:10 pm 

I did read David Hamilton-Williams' Waterloo New Perspectives but then I read a few review saying that he wasn't up to the standard of a good historian... and his work on that particular campaign wasn't to be taken seriously because his sources were not precises and/or correct.

3ème Régiment de Grenadiers - Bataillon d'élite du 3ème Légère
2ème Brigade
Grenadiers de la Réserve
Réserve
La Grande Armée
--------------------------
"From the sublime to the ridiculous is but a step."
Napoléon Bonaparte

Military justice is to justice what military music is to music.
Groucho Marx

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:05 pm 
I honestly don't put much faith in reviews or critics either for that matter. You must always filter the perspective of any author or critic. David Hamilton Williams' work made sense to me based on my own understanding of human nature and the personalities involved. I am sure there were critics who thought Sibourne's account to be spot on. Most Dutch-Belgians I know would have a real problem with that.

Sometimes you have to interpolate to arrive at the core truth.

Discounting the reviews, what did you personally think of the content?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:17 pm 

In my opinion Waterloo new perspectives is by far and way one of the best accounts of Waterloo. It explains a whole series of very fundamental flaws to original British empire imposed commentaries offered.

I give it 10 out of 10. JFC Fuller once wrote a book called the Generalship of Alexander the great. This was also heavily criticised by the less talented 'scholars'. Fuller went on to demonstrate his military and historical genius in many ways not the least of which was his development of the attack by paralysation with Liddell Hart that led to the basis of modern warfare.

His books are a must read for those interested in Military history. He brings operational understanding and I believe the title we discuss here does exactly the same. Read in conjunction with 'the Battle' and the traditional accounts you can gain a correct insight as to what may really have transpired on those hallowed valleys in Belgium.

The English accounts are full of holes that to me are obvious if you are a student of the period.

For example a decisive hinge strike by the Prussians just as the old guard attacked is contested as the real reason for the mass French rout. I believe given the deployment and shape of the battle line this was indeed the real reason.

As the author points out given the massive smoke many French soldiers that routed could not even see the Old Guard's attack and resultant defeat. This to me is one of the many things this excellent piece of work brings.

The people who actually launched a series of personal attacks on this wonderful author would IMHO make for easy meat in this club. :mrgreen:

Prince d'Austerlitz et Comte d'Argentan
Ordre national de la Légion d'honneur

"What is history but a fable agreed upon"

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:21 pm 

As in the post on old games members played and now books we have read these are great discussions with interest to all members. Thanks Guys... I have been enjoying all the comments on various books and hearing the interest of our members from all over the world!

Have Fun, Good Reading and Battle On...

Al

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:51 pm 

Colin's comments are, as usual, insightfull and thorough. Thank god he is on the right side :D

Yet more books for me to purchase

Newer members of the LGA are encouraged to stop into Pierre's tavern to read more of Colin's wisdom.

2ème Brigade,
2ème Division,
1er Corps d'Armée,
La Grande Armée

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:25 pm 

Officers,

I think a real book is the best way to relax ( of course with a fine glass of french redwine ) and learn about the time of Napoleon.
You can feel the paper, you can hear the paper if you get to the next side.
I think it is a better feeling as a Ebook.
Maybe I am to old for this new things :shock:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:12 pm 

I have ALWAYS enjoyed reading a REAL book ... it's easier to carry to the bathroom :D ... but seriously ... there is just something about turning the pages and holding both sides of the book that feel better.

In the last 15 years I have acquired EVERY book in the Osprey Series' as well as tons of other books in other series. These are all digital and I won't tell you how I got them. But, they are easier to gather together into one location and easier to go through and reference things in different books at the same time. I continue to add to this collection and occasionally add to my REAL collection, but it only has about 200 books in it and because of working for John Tiller, are not limited to Napoleonics. I would venture to say that my digital collection is well over 2000 books (some of these are NOT in English) ...

I am 54 and will turn 55 on the first day of rifle season.

dog

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:49 pm 

I think the one thing we all can agree on is that no matter what the format that reading is a good thing. I've got a collection of "real" books and a collection of digital ones also so I don't mind either preference. As for age I just turned 54.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:28 am 

I agree with Mark ... reading is the important part.

I substitute teach in 8 different counties ... and it saddens me greatly that only the little ones like/love to read ... the older ones don't want to read unless it's facebook, texting, sexting, webpages, game related ... but invariably, they stop reading books and our world is in trouble because of it.

dog

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next