Napoleonic Wargame Club (NWC)

The Rhine Tavern

*   NWC   NWC Staff   NWC Rules   NWC (DoR) Records   About Us   Send Email Inquiry to NWC

*   La Grande Armée Quartier Général    La Grande Armée Officer Records    Join La Grande Armée

*   Allied Coalition   Allied Officers   Join Coalition

*   Coalition Armies:   Austro-Prussian-Swedish Army   Anglo Allied Army (AAA)   Imperial Russian Army

Forums:    ACWGC    CCC     Home:    ACWGC    CCC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Reading vs. eReading
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:51 pm 
Salute!

Here is my list of must have reading for the Napoleonic era:

David Chandler's Campaigns of Napoleon.
Esposito and Elting's Military History & Atlas of the Napoleonic Wars.
Brent Nosworthy's With Musket, Cannon, and Sword.
Clausewitz's On War.
Sun Tzu's Art of War.
Sun Pin's Military Methods of the Art of War.
The last two are excellent translations by Ralph D Sawyer.
Alessandro Barbero's The Battle.

These are all books I can open to any page and simply start reading...

Regards,

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:59 pm 

I am 58 Richard. :D

La Grande Armée

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:55 pm 
Red Nemesis wrote:

And every bit as handsome as he was at 20! It is good to be in the Anglo-Allied Army where we age gracefully. I suspect that it may have something to do with victory being less stressful than defeat. Poor, French buggers, but they did bring it upon themselves wot. :shock: :wink: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:41 pm 

MCJones1810 wrote:
Red Nemesis wrote:

And every bit as handsome as he was at 20! It is good to be in the Anglo-Allied Army where we age gracefully. I suspect that it may have something to do with victory being less stressful than defeat. Poor, French buggers, but they did bring it upon themselves wot. :shock: :wink: :mrgreen:

LMAO Mark :shock:

La Grande Armée

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:39 am 

E Books for travelling , real books (meaning hard cover ). when reading at home.
Speaking of Waterloo , I have just purchased Waterloo - The French Perspective by Andrew Field , so far very good

It is based on primary French sources that the author claims have never been published before. Contains a lot of battle narrative and quotes from the diairies of the FRench soldiers who were at Waterloo

So far very good

Looks' like everyone agrees - Chandler's book is the Cream of Nappy works - I only have it on E- Book - the hard cover has just been too expensive everytime I look

A must read is also the three volume set of 1809 -Thunder on the Danube - excellent work

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:13 pm 

I got hooked on military history early on, and by the time I finished junior high school had devoured my brother's textbooks. Since he went to the USMA, I got to read all the West Point military history series. My first interest was more in ancient and medieval periods, and indeed formed the foundation of my undergraduate degree. Maybe it's the parallels between Hannibal and Napoleon, the Sacred Band and la Garde, but that was what made me first start studying this era in depth, moving from broad overviews like JFC Fuller's Military History of the Western World to Creasy's Fifteen Decisive Battles of the World and Hamilton-Williams Waterloo: New Perspectives.

As to the kind, I prefer a real book, especially one with lots of campaign maps, but am less particular than I was before Kindles.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:42 pm 

In terms of acquiring the series, Thunder on the Danube 1809, where would I get the best bang for my buck, since it is not available in local book stores or for my eReader ? I've looked on Amazon, but are there any other websites I may be missing, that are in fact, a better deal to buy book online?

Thanks Guys!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:56 am 

Al Kling wrote:
While we are talking books I recommend The Campaigns of Napoleon by David Chandler, it is my favorite book and I bought it back in 1969! Great maps and over a 1000 pages of information by one of Great Britain's leading Napoleonic Historians.

Battle On...

I found this one for free online at a site of questionable legality ... I just finished 'Anatomy of Glory' and will start in Campaigns of Napoleon today ... the hardest part will be lugging my copy to the throne on my laptop :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:32 pm 

But a lap top comes with the collapsable cup holder so you can bring a favorite drink for the long read. And there will be TP there to wipe away the tears when L"Emporeur keeps losing in the end.

Lloyd's Battery, Royal Artillery
Royal Regiment of Artillery
Reserve Artillery & Engineers

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:19 pm 

Richard Bradshaw wrote:
But a lap top comes with the collapsable cup holder so you can bring a favorite drink for the long read. And there will be TP there to wipe away the tears when L"Emporeur keeps losing in the end.

The Emperor simply lost because he could NOT be everywhere at once. Betrayed in the capitol, betrayed by stupidity of others, betrayed by the loyalty of others, he simply was not enough to stem the tide of all other nations against him. He proved more times than not that he was the smartest of all even if you combined them.

Even Wellington was truly lucky in the end as was Blucher, thanks to Ney and Grouchy

but the TP WOULD be a big help ... I almost did come to tears and did choke up once or twice when finishing 'Anatomy of Glory'

:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:13 pm 
So the consistent theme I am hearing is...

...the Emperor lost. :wink: :wink: :wink:

Now that is what this Hanoverian would call a Nappy ending! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:28 pm 

Yeah, but have you ever heard of a movie called "Hanoverian Dynamite" ? No, so :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:54 pm 
That is probably because we Hanoverians are so inordinately modest. :wink: :roll: 8)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:23 am 

LOL ... not to mention there is nothing known as the 'code hanoverian' or 'hanoverian brandy' or 'hanoverian complex' or
people being nicknamed Napoleon for their behavior/abilities, such as

P. G. T. Beauregard (1818–93), Confederate general, "Little Napoleon"
Jean-Martin Charcot (1825–93), neurologist, "Napoleon of the Neuroses"
Neal S. Dow (1804–97), temperance activist, "Napoleon of Temperance"
Toyotomi Hideyoshi (1536/7-98), Japanese general, "Napoleon of Japan"
Kamehameha I (c.1758-1819), Hawaiian king, "Napoleon of the Pacific"
Francisco Solano Lopez (1827–70), Paraguayan president, "Napoleon of South America"
Antonio López de Santa Anna (1794-1876), Mexican president, "Napoleon of the West"
Toussaint Louverture (c.1743-1803), Haitian revolutionary, "Napoleon of Haiti"
Douglas MacArthur (1880-1964), U.S. Army general, "Napoleon of Luzon"
George B. McClellan (1826–85), U.S. Army general, "Young Napoleon"
Mirambo (r.1860-84), Nyamwezi warlord, "Napoleon of Central Africa"
James K. Polk (1795-1849), U.S. president, "Napoleon of the Stump"
Qin Shi Huang (259-10 BC), Chinese emperor, "Napoleon of China"
Nader Shah (1688/98-1747), Iranian shah, "Napoleon of Persia"
Shaka (1787-1828), Zulu king, "Napoleon of Africa"
Te Rauparaha (1760s-1849), Maori chief, "Napoleon of the South Pacific"
Thutmose III (1479-25 BC), Egyptian pharaoh, "Napoleon of Egypt"
Adam Worth (1844-1902), American criminal, "Napoleon of Crime"

and YES I used google ... :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:12 am 
Sorry, Mark, but I do not engage in hero worship as many others are well known to do. Napoleon Bonaparte was a genius, but he was also only a man. He was not the god that he, and many others, believed him to be. He had some extremely fine abilities, and some very fatal flaws. His ambition and ability caused the Napoleonic Wars to drag on far too long, resulting in the deaths of far too many, and the destruction of far too much.

I respect him for all that was good, and recognize all that was bad as well. I am an objective neutral in the matter.

I am also an American, with no ties whatsoever to Hanover. All of my antics in the uniform given to me by this club are role playing, and nothing more. It is a tribute to my skill at the game that I seem to have woven my character so tightly to my person, and that it is so much believed by the members of our club. I never get confused by that myself. They are nothing of the same, and the lines in my mind never become blurred.

Napoleon Bonaparte was both great and tragic, but certainly never a god.

I have given you a glimpse at the person behind the 'Hanoverian' mask. For me, it is very easy to tell the difference.

Now damn that Corsican Imp to the Eternal Fires of Hades! Helga, my glass seems most unfortunately empty, and I know there must be some Jager yet left in this establishment. Please be a dear and fetch me a bottle so that I can better endure all of this French fawning over a despotic tyrant bent on the destruction of all things just and right for the personal benefit of his own, boundless ego.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next