Napoleonic Wargame Club (NWC)

The Rhine Tavern

*   NWC   NWC Staff   NWC Rules   NWC (DoR) Records   About Us   Send Email Inquiry to NWC

*   La Grande Armée Quartier Général    La Grande Armée Officer Records    Join La Grande Armée

*   Allied Coalition   Allied Officers   Join Coalition

*   Coalition Armies:   Austro-Prussian-Swedish Army   Anglo Allied Army (AAA)   Imperial Russian Army

Forums:    ACWGC    CCC     Home:    ACWGC    CCC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:15 am 

Good day gentlemen,
I'm searching for an Allied opponent to play #01H. The Action at Wertingen (HTH) from Austerlitz Campaign.
For the rules, take a look at the screenshot, be aware that I want to use "Manual Defensive Fire" and so the game will be done in phases instead turns.
Intention of these rules are an overall more realistic gameplay, at least in the Civil War series it improved the gameplay a lot and I hope it does the same hear.

Last edited by Christian Hecht on Sat Feb 20, 2016 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:21 am 

oh boy... that's going to be a long game... :mrgreen:

3ème Régiment de Grenadiers - Bataillon d'élite du 3ème Légère
2ème Brigade
Grenadiers de la Réserve
Réserve
La Grande Armée
--------------------------
"From the sublime to the ridiculous is but a step."
Napoléon Bonaparte

Military justice is to justice what military music is to music.
Groucho Marx

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:21 am 

It's not so big so maybe playing over TCP/IP would be a possibility.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:55 pm 

:frenchsalute:

Good idea with Manual Defensive Fire. So, it's long option, during play by both sides, but more historical, realistic, especially through opening fire of cannons to the many units. One shot to one unit. We have not many casualties, something for something. :thumbsup:

No Opportunity Fire Against Skirmishers, this option doesn't work with MDF. In normal game, when option MDF is off, allows to protect your moves of core units behind companies of skirmishers. :frenchcharge:

:frenchvive:

4ème Division de Dragons,
3ème Corps d'Armée,
La Grande Armée.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:36 pm 

Well I think you could maybe have even more casualties, besides the fact that the usually infantry could at best have the chance to fire 3 times(1. 2 hex distance, 2. 1 hex distance, 3. melee) I often see that no fire is triggered, but even if it fies the fire is conducted at only 50%, with MDF it is at 100% and likely at 1 hex distance what should give a lot casualties.
The MDF will simulate the close range fire when the assault is in a good firing distance and the defensive line is trying to stop the assault, with higher casualties there is also a higher chance to trigger a moral check and so be able to stop the assault.
Without MDF the defense is just too handicapped and I have yet to witness an assault that is stopped by this opportunity fire.
I had the same experience in the CW series and here with phased gameplay the defense can really achieve what was often historically done.

Indeed "No Opportunity Fire Against Skirmishers" is OFF because the player has full control and it's up to him to waste ammo on skirmishers or not.

Another side effect of these rules is that I hope to bring the players to "feed" a skirmisher line, with musket fire now having more impact and with skirmishers effectively getting free ammo(just bring a low ammo skirmisher back to its parent unit and combine them, what btw nicely simulates skirmishers replenishing themselves) it's a good way to conduct a "prelude" to the real assault, faint or what ever is planned in that corner of the battlefield.

And the skirmishers can still protect the parent unit, fire through them is -20% what reflects the fact the the skirmisher often captured the attention of the enemies formed units and ignored about the parent unit of the skirmisher.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 2:08 am 

With the new patch(currently only for the JTS version, hope this changes soon) I have to revive this request.
Check first post for the details.