Napoleonic Wargame Club (NWC)

The Rhine Tavern

*   NWC   NWC Staff   NWC Rules   NWC (DoR) Records   About Us   Send Email Inquiry to NWC

*   La Grande Armée Quartier Général    La Grande Armée Officer Records    Join La Grande Armée

*   Allied Coalition   Allied Officers   Join Coalition

*   Coalition Armies:   Austro-Prussian-Swedish Army   Anglo Allied Army (AAA)   Imperial Russian Army

Forums:    ACWGC    CCC     Home:    ACWGC    CCC
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:17 am 

#02H. The Action at Gunzburg (HTH)
Having played this scenario with patch 1.02 a while back and recently with Patch 1.03 I have some ideas, suggestions and feedback for it:

- I suggest to add more time to the scenario, if the current troop positions are kept the start should be 2-3 turns earlier so that the first French can be at the Günzburg bridge on 09:00, and the scenario should extend to at least 15:00 when the French pushed over the bridge North-East of Günzburg.
This would also give enough time that the bridge at Reisenburg could play a role, the current shortness of the scenario automatically eliminates that possibility.
It would also give time for a redeployment of Mahler from the Gunzburg area to at least the bridge right(55,29) of it.
- Lower bridge values to simulate the partial progress of the bridge dismantling would be nice, at least in the area were the units are longer fixed. That gives room for the Austrians to further dismantle it and for the French the need to repair it far enough for a save passage. This would also take up a lot time in the scenario so making it longer makes even more sense.
- According to webpage(http://obscurebattles.blogspot.de/2013/ ... 05_13.html) the Island had trees(poplars) instead of marsh land but also a gravel bank on the south side is mentioned, maybe the terrain could if not made forest be made at least Rough to simulate that.
- Maybe remove the road through the marsh area as it seems to have been so hard to get through it that the French troops turned back, alternative would be to change it to Path or remove some hexes completely. That also makes sure the French can't be flanked by the Austrians at Leipheim
- The Tyrolan Jägers should maybe be deployed south of the river and it should be up to the player to use or not use them on the island.
- A reason should be given(victory hexes?) to the Austrians to advance over the bridge North-East of Günzburg and so to repair that bridge like Mack ordered.
Maybe a change in the victory levels would be good so that each side must control a bridgehead on the opposite river bank to win.
That way it may also force the Austrian player to position himself close to the bridge and be a good target for an assault and artillery fire from the French.
- Add some clear hexes at the north side of the river crossings so artillery finds a place for a quick setup.
- Webpage(http://obscurebattles.blogspot.de/2013/ ... 05_13.html) mentions that the Kaunitz #20 regiment was composed mostly of raw recruits from Galicia, who had no great love of the Habsburgs and probably wondered why they were up in snowy Bavaria in the first place. This may even deserve an E instead D rating.
It's position was also interesting, it may be best to place the battalions in extended line one after another.
Besides this it should also be fixed to allow the French a surprise attack or else the crossing is simply blocked before the bridge can be crossed.
- Eastern group should stay fixed as this would simulate the dismantling and repair of the bridge and the hapless regimental commander that had the idea of stacking the battalions one behind another, if not fixed it would be another reason to lowering the rating of the Kaunitz #20 regiment from D to E.
- It would also be good to Fix the Western Group and let it only unfix by French unit closing in on them as they only showed up very late with Archduke Ferdinand and at a time when Mack had already canceled the river crossing because the bridge at Elchingen had be conquered by the French.
- Maybe adding the Austrian leaders would be good at least for each area, in the West "Auersperg" and in the East "Gyulai" as I would prefer to have leaders in the game but with lower regimental ratings compared to higher regimental ratings that are not in place but without leaders.

- After a 2nd play under 1.03 a question stays, why should the French not only have to take the bridgeheads but also inflict much higher casualties while doing so to achieve victory?
I don't see this possible in the current scenario, the Austrians can inflict massive casualties while the French try to get over and if the victory has shifted far enough the Austrians can fall back as they don't even need to hold the victory hexes anymore. Victory conditions should be rather the opposite of what they are now, the Austrians wanted to cross on Macks orders and if the French deny it that alone should be worth a minor victory,. If the French penetrate beyond the bridgeheads they should get a major victory as any hope of letting the Austrian Army cross the Danube here are crushed.

Last edited by Christian Hecht on Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:32 pm 

At this point I dont want to mess around with this scenario. Maybe if I get time in the future.

I would suggest you just make up a newer version of the scenario and address as much of this as possible in your version (aside from map changes).

I try and go with historical start and end times as much as possible. Usually Night ends the fight.

When I get some time I will look this over but your other concerns to me were more important. Sound fair?

Generalfeldmarschall Wilhelm Prinz Peters von Dennewitz

3. Husaren-Regiment, Reserve-Kavallerie, Preußischen Armee-Korps

Honarary CO of Garde-Ulanen Regiment, Garde-Grenadier Kavallerie

NWC Founding Member

For Club Games: I prefer the Single Phase mode of play. I prefer to play with the following options OFF:

MDF, VP4LC, NRO, MTD, CMR, PR, MIM, NDM, OMR (ver 4.07)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:15 pm 

Sounds fine. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:14 pm 

Here I also took a closer look at the victory conditions.

The current objectives allow the French only 200 points that are positioned near the 3 bridges to the left. These 200 are barely enough for a draw but the French is at best able to take one bridge and build a bridgehead but not more. Now originally the Austrians wanted a bridgehead but instead the action ended with a French bridgehead. That is why I think the French should get a victory if achieving one bridgehead. That may not sound like a big achievement but we have the French without cavalry and just a few guns facing a much stronger Austrian who is in a much better position with cavalry and many more guns. In the light of this the control of a single bridgehead by the French on the opposite river bank against a so much stronger Austrian should without a doubt yield at least a minor victory for the French.

With bridgehead I do not just mean a single hex south of the river but rather several additional objectives in a good distance around the bridge. I would say that the bridge at Leipheim and close to Günzburg should have objectives that include holding the cities while the bridge North-East of Günzburg should simply have them positioned in a half-circle in a distance of about 4-5 hexes to the South of the bridge.
By this the Austrians can attempt to remove any French bridgehead and deny a French victory, but if being unable or unwilling to do so the French get the victory.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 4:41 pm 

Sir.
I have tried this battle twice and was able to capture 2 objectives. The bridge at Liepheim and the smaller bridge at Grunzberg. I still suffered a major defeat. I do not believe the French can win this scenario. I am really not sure. I do believe the win criteria is totally unrealistic.
thanks
James Grcevich :frenchsad: