Napoleonic Wargame Club (NWC)

The Rhine Tavern

*   NWC   NWC Staff   NWC Rules   NWC (DoR) Records   About Us   Send Email Inquiry to NWC

*   La Grande Armée Quartier Général    La Grande Armée Officer Records    Join La Grande Armée

*   Allied Coalition   Allied Officers   Join Coalition

*   Coalition Armies:   Austro-Prussian-Swedish Army   Anglo Allied Army (AAA)   Imperial Russian Army

Forums:    ACWGC    CCC     Home:    ACWGC    CCC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:54 am 

I guess I will start the content portion then, and will make an effort to put together an article for the SDC site that I will share here -in this first instance, I think it will be on managing the bridge crossings in the historical Wagram scenarios (mainly because that is what I am currently playing around with).

I doubt there will be much of a surprise in all of this, as it is mainly about effective management in game terms, as well as making an effort at command control maintenance and maybe traffic control as well.

I don't know that there is a lot that the Austrian player can do about this (although I guess as I am playing the AI in these tests that impacts the results a bit), or rather I will be sure to note that aspect of it... plus, there will be a lot of screenshots.

I don't have much of a time table on this but I don't think that it will take all that long (relatively speaking). Anyway ... it is about the topic. A major river crossing by a larger (by period standards) army. I guess in a sense it is also like managing the beach landings in Normandy.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:16 am 

Yes please.Those rivers are a pain to try and cross.....

Post subject: Re: House Rules
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:04 pm 

@S_Trauth
Would there be any housrules involved?

For sure an article about river crossing would make itself useful in the Library section and as teaching material for training games.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:08 pm 

Bill mentions the use of pioneers & skirmishers and I guess the player should indeed agree to his suggestion to, look here:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=15280

So a house rules like this might cover it appropriately:
"Use Pioneer type units in their historical usage. Meaning that the breakdown of a pioneer unit into skirmishers won't use these skirmishers as light troops but to work on bridges."
Or other suggestions?

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 7:19 pm 

Another one can be "No recon by leaders behind enemy lines." as this seems very gamey, especially with the usual replacement leaders that even if lost are replaced again.
But how far should the leaders be restricted?

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 3:29 am 

I'd say Leader units should be within the command range of their units, rather than off sightseeing.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 11:59 am 

Christian Hecht wrote:
Bill mentions the use of pioneers & skirmishers and I guess the player should indeed agree to his suggestion to, look here:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=15280

So a house rules like this might cover it appropriately:
"Use Pioneer type units in their historical usage. Meaning that the breakdown of a pioneer unit into skirmishers won't use these skirmishers as light troops but to work on bridges."
Or other suggestions?

Divided companies of pioneers will guard for batteries of cannons on the hexes. Simulation of earth works around cannons.
The same for alone buildings, villages, trenches, bridges, fords, crossroads, gates and castles.
Simulation of crews for HQs, ammo dumps and sentries.

4ème Division de Dragons,
3ème Corps d'Armée,
La Grande Armée.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 1:35 pm 

To eliminate the tactic of war i.e "blitzkrieg" , "vermiform movements" , "side by side" , "one by one" of whole units, we need to have the spacing between the stacks, hexes, formations, i.e should be 100m or 1heks. Such intervals to simulate formations, battalions, dyons, squadrons, companies in motion, in ordering, in touch of commander, in lines, columns, squares, etc. There must be a break for maneuvers, bypasses, retreats or escapes.

3ème Corps d'Armée,
La Grande Armée.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 7:30 pm 

Cezary Pluskwa wrote:
Divided companies of pioneers will guard for batteries of cannons on the hexes. Simulation of earth works around cannons.
The same for alone buildings, villages, trenches, bridges, fords, crossroads, gates and castles.
Simulation of crews for HQs, ammo dumps and sentries.

Now those are really interesting points, while I'm aware of great deeds that pioneers did like the crossing of the Berezina, where they really used that widely for other duties?

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 7:39 pm 

Cezary Pluskwa wrote:
To eliminate the tactic of war i.e "blitzkrieg" , "vermiform movements" , "side by side" , "one by one" of whole units, we need to have the spacing between the stacks, hexes, formations, i.e should be 100m or 1heks. Such intervals to simulate formations, battalions, dyons, squadrons, companies in motion, in ordering, in touch of commander, in lines, columns, squares, etc. There must be a break for maneuvers, bypasses, retreats or escapes.

Well I guess depending on the optional rules the players are using any tight and/or overstacked formation will pay a price for it.
Without spacing the player will face problems when maneuvering, trying to bypasses, retreat or escape. And with overstacking the casualties by artillery and musket fire are raised up to 50% I think.
So I'm not sure there needs to be a rule for spacing, also because it would have to take the units size into consideration.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 10:17 am 

Primeval forests, woods, copses, thickets, shrubs, etc. were a big problem, even barrier for the movements troops during the Napoleonic wars. They used roads, paths, gaps and glades to the marches into the forest. Generally, they not fought in woods, certainly not in massive formations as it was on the fields, grasslands and opened areas with the commanders, regimental's banners and trumpeters. This applies to both infantry, cavalry and artillery. No matter whether, they were conscripts, linear, light or Guard. Naturally in skirmish mode, yes. Only. In the game we must to divide the whole battalions to the independent of companies. If they can. At the moment, these tactics, maneuvers are too much like as on the Crimean War, ACW and the IWW. It should be a ban on movement and the formation of line in the forest, a column should move 1 hex through the forest, while skirmishers 2 hexes as the old way.

3ème Corps d'Armée,
La Grande Armée.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 10:36 pm 

Please remember that "house rules" can be (AND should be) ALWAYS negotiated between players before they play the game, as with OPTIONAL rules.

So, any option or rule or idea MAY be played or, at least presented, in any particular game.

President, Colonial Campaigns Club

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:55 pm 

Hi gentlemen,

I'm back to Tiller game after many years.

High casualty level was always something that hurt my historical point of view of this period. So I would like to try privileging games fire over melee with a set of rule

disorganized unit could never engage melee
organized unit must stop melee process if disorganized by defending fire.

organized infantry/cavalry could always melee skirmisher/wagon/officer/artillery
limitation: skirmisher could only be engage by one hex
artillery could be engage by any hex but attacker must start in contiguous hex

infantry in Line could never engage melee vs infantry
exception Line could engage infantry by rear

infantry in column could engage melee
limitation :
over open terrain, only one hexe could engage melee.
more than one unit cold engage melee but they must start move in the same hex
over other terrain, melee could be initiate from contiguous hexe if they sart movement from contiguous hex

skirmisher could only engage melee vs artillery/skirmisher/wagon/officer/artillery
skirmisher could only melee from different hex if they start movement in contiguous hex.
skirmisher from different hex could not regroup in one hex for melee purpose.

cavalry could charge from contiguous hexe if they start movement from contiguous hex or in the same hexe.
cavalry are free to initiate any melee after the first one.

an officer must always be in the starting hex of one of the attacker or in a contiguous hex and must end his move with one attacker or in a contiguous hex
no routed unit must be in the same hex as the officer, otherwise officer could not be in charge of melee.

no more than 3 Skirmishers by hex.
disorganized Skirmishers not in cover and not with line/column must retreat if in contact with opposite unit

disorganized unit could not be moved at top
Disorganized unit could not move closser than 3 hexes of enemy, unless there is friendly unit in a front hex.

I will propos to test those rule with a Busaco or Talavera battle.

Let me know your sentiments

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:54 pm 

This rule set goes beyond the aim of this thread as it seems to shift the gameplay considerably.

I see that you already did a separate thread for it and that is good as I can imaging there will come up discussions about the necessity of some points.

The intention of this thread is mainly to collect some small easy to use rules that can solve some basic problems or fill some gaps that are not really covered by any game mechanic or optional rule, so overall a much smaller endeavor that what you seem to aim for with your rule set.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:48 am 

That right, those set of rules change à lot the gameplay. Game again IA are mutch more pleasant also.