Napoleonic Wargame Club (NWC)

The Rhine Tavern

*   NWC   NWC Staff   NWC Rules   NWC (DoR) Records   About Us   Send Email Inquiry to NWC

*   La Grande Armée Quartier Général    La Grande Armée Officer Records    Join La Grande Armée

*   Allied Coalition   Allied Officers   Join Coalition

*   Coalition Armies:   Austro-Prussian-Swedish Army   Anglo Allied Army (AAA)   Imperial Russian Army

Forums:    ACWGC    CCC     Home:    ACWGC    CCC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:47 pm 

Rich White and a few others are big fans of this scale. I enjoy playing them too. Rich put together several of these for Bautzen. The Lutzen series.

You will not find any "Company Level" scenarios in Marengo for the simple reason that I get very little feedback on them. Add to it that an entire "War" was composed completely in company level in Bautzen (The Finnish War of 1808-09) but I hear very few people that ever play them. Am I wasting my time putting them in the game? Feedback would prove me wrong and some completed club games too.

If you want to continue to see "company level" scenarios in the games I work on can you guys respond on them. When was the last time you played one? Bautzen has the most. What about the other titles? Wagram was my first game where I added them in.

Folks like me that enjoy the "EAW" series of JTS games like the company level. Its a change of pace ... interesting to play.

I will be posting a challenge soon for a "Finnish War" scenario from Bautzen. Hope to hear back from some of you on playing a game! :thumbsup:

15 min. move scenarios .... I played a lot of these over the last few years since I started adding them into the games I worked on. In most cases what I found was that there wasnt enough time to conclude the battle. Always seemed like troops were still coming up to the battle line. And their arrival times have to stick to the historical time too. I wont advance their arrival time just to satisfy the 15 min. move format.

I have played the 15 min. version of Dennewitz twice. David Guegan and I played it - I felt that the battle had not resolved itself yet. In my second game - same feeling.

In the Marengo game there are campaign scenarios that use the 15 min. move due to their size. Same for the first "Quad" large map - multi-day battle. Paco and I determined that if the scenario was multi-day it was best to use the 15 min. format. When it was only one day go with the 10 min. move. Sounded like a plan. Want to hear feedback on that.

Squadrons vs. Regiments for cavalry ... there is so little cavalry in Marengo vs. the other games that I didn't even blink on using Squadrons as the basic cavalry unit. Add to it that like Leipzig thru 1814 the regiments were parceled out to different brigades (especially the Austrians). So using the Regiment as basic unit was not really an option. I must note (still) that an 800 man cavalry regiment could not fit in one hex anyway ... max stacking is now 600 men in a hex. I would have had to break up the Austrian cavalry units anyway.

Cheers! :)

Generalfeldmarschall Wilhelm Prinz Peters von Dennewitz

3. Husaren-Regiment, Reserve-Kavallerie, Preußischen Armee-Korps

Honarary CO of Garde-Ulanen Regiment, Garde-Grenadier Kavallerie

NWC Founding Member

For Club Games: I prefer the Single Phase mode of play. I prefer to play with the following options OFF:

MDF, VP4LC, NRO, MTD, CMR, PR, MIM, NDM, OMR (ver 4.07)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:47 pm 

Haven't played them but I think they are only good to depict actions that need this level of detail.
The company level scenarios in Waterloo on the Hougoumont are a good example for this, but playing the whole battle on this level seems to be unnecessary.

15min is surely faster but I think the 10min scale is perfect is good and I would prefer to see the early Napi games get converted to 10min too.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:07 pm 

Christian - when I get time I would like to add in most of the Eckmuhl and Wagram scenarios using the 10 min. format. This would be only the one day scenarios like "Hunt for Davout" and "Aspern-Essling" the first or second day. I suppose I could add in the multi-day versions for those that dont mind the length. I am not sure I would have time to add in 10 min. versions for the campaign scenarios. Just too many of them.

NWC Founding Member

For Club Games: I prefer the Single Phase mode of play. I prefer to play with the following options OFF:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:47 pm 

I fully understand about the campaign scenarios, but if you cover all the none-campaign scenarios I would already be more than happy.
BTW in case you need assistance for that just contact me.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:33 pm 

Thanks for the offer .... I am sure that given time I will add them in.

I would just need to develop the basic PDT file for the 10 minute turns and then drop in the weather line data and update it so that the lines use only a 10 min. time.

NWC Founding Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:15 am 

I rather like the company level scenarios. I have played the full Waterloo a couple of times and indeed it's a huge committment. They are great for smaller actions or parts of battles where batallions are simply too big to play realistically. Played a couple of 1813 scenarios against Mr Repnin. And a couple of smaller Waterloo scenarios just completed. The advantage of such games is that units are less likely to be trapped with Isolation Rules.
What amazes me is the difference in firepower however between the EAW company games and these. I'm fond of EAW too for the same reasons.
Just a few random comments.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:05 pm 

Andy - what differences did you find for the firepower between the EAW and Nap company level units? Did EAW have less of an effect or more?

NWC Founding Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:22 am 

Bill. The artillery in particular in EAW hits far fewer men but I imagine cannons had improved by 1800. Also in say Waterloo one could hit up to a dozen or more men, in EAW usually 1 or 2. Hitting double figures is a rarity. But then again company sizes are rather different, and in EAW the whole stack can fire at once. I suspect the latter is more realistic; most of my games end up with very high body counts.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:56 am 

Please correct me if I am wrong, but aren't weapons' effects the direct result of how the pdt has rated the weapons matching each titles' weapons.dat file?

If so, then wouldn't the difference be solely due to the discretion of each individual pdt coder? Or put another way, it isn't really an engine difference as much as it is a ratings difference, isn't it?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:33 pm 

It is, Steve.

Andy, thanks for the data - entire stacks can fire in the Nap series too.

NWC Founding Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:03 pm 

Andy - ok, I just did a "field test" using the Bautzen RSW-012_Lappo-H_HTH.scn scenario. I was seeing mainly hits of no effect, 1, 2 and sometimes 3 men (very rare).

All fire was at 4 hexes with some shots at 2 hexes.

That is the typical engagement range in the company level games. If you are lining up to shoot at point blank range (1 hex) yes, the value rises but it should.

So I was happy with the results.

Size of units: Swedes - 100 men, Russians 75 men.

I remember those A class British boys knocking down 4-5 men at 1 hex range. Further out more like 2-3. Regular troops similar to what I am seeing.

I am thinking that maybe the Waterloo company level values might be different OR you are engaging at 1 hex a lot. Maybe you could shed some light on your range of engagement for us.

NWC Founding Member