Napoleonic Wargame Club (NWC)

The Rhine Tavern

*   NWC   NWC Staff   NWC Rules   NWC (DoR) Records   About Us   Send Email Inquiry to NWC

*   La Grande Armée Quartier Général    La Grande Armée Officer Records    Join La Grande Armée

*   Allied Coalition   Allied Officers   Join Coalition

*   Coalition Armies:   Austro-Prussian-Swedish Army   Anglo Allied Army (AAA)   Imperial Russian Army

Forums:    ACWGC    CCC     Home:    ACWGC    CCC
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: OOB
PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:46 am 

As I worked through the 1805 OOB I saw some things that maybe need to be fixed:

- The French Waldeck infantry uses graphic of Hesse infantry(113/50) but should it use it as a dutch unit?

- Austrian Dragoons and Chevaulegers have graphic/icon switched. Chevaulegers should have 45/13 and Dragoons 44/12.(That was already lengthy discussed at the gamesquad forum, and unless hard facts show up it might not be worth to toy around with it)

- Following French artillery units are designated as "Heavy" unit type but should be "Light" unit type(at least judging by the artillery that is uses), they use A but should use B for the unit type in the OOB.
1/8 Regt Foot
3/7 Regt Foot(2x in OOB, 1 in Art/3D/IIIC, 1 in Res/IIIC )
17/5 Regt Foot(4x in OOB, 1 in Art/1D/IVC, 1 in Art/2D/IVC, 1 in Art/3D/IVC, 1 in Res/IVC but that one is correctly designated B, the others all use A)
5/1 Regt Foot
3/1 Regt Foot

- French 17/5 Regt Foot is 4x in OOB, 1 in Art/1D/IVC, 1 in Art/2D/IVC, 1 in Art/3D/IVC, 1 inRes/IVC, all together 24 guns what seem much too large for a single company that should have only 8 guns. Are these other companies?

- Does the French 4/7 Chasseurs purposely use 18/6 as graphic/icon instead of 19/6 like the other squadrons of the regiment?

- 3lb Grenz Bty doesn't use the Grenzer artillery graphic(50) but just the normal foot artillery graphic(48), same counts for unit icon, it uses 4 but should use 6.

- For the Austrian army the unit graphic for the German units seem to be used very often, only very few use the Hungarian graphics, just wonder if that is correct.

- In Kutusov's Army the Musketeers Regiments use the same graphics for their Fusilier Bat. and Grenadier Bat., they also have the same quality ratings, I can understand that some Grenadiers might not have performed above the Fusilier units but isn't it appropriate to still use the Grenadier graphics for the grenadier battalions like it was done in Buxhowden army?

- The Heavy Section in Artillery/IIC uses the graphic for the Garde Artillery, is that correct?

Last edited by Christian Hecht on Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: OOB
PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:30 pm 

Christian - I answer much of your concerns below along side your text. Note: I dont have my books on this campaign anymore so cannot verify some of the items.

Christian Hecht wrote:
As I worked through the 1805 OOB I saw some things that maybe need to be fixed:

- The French Waldeck infantry uses graphic of Hesse infantry(113/50) but should it use it as a dutch unit? We did not make up a new icon for this one. The slot that is shown as Waldeck in my spreadsheet has the comment to use the Hesse infantry if we dont make up a new one. That is what must have happened and no new icon will be forthcoming for this game.

- Austrian Dragoons and Chevaulegers have graphic/icon switched. Chevaulegers should have 45/13 and Dragoons 44/12.(That was already lengthy discussed at the gamesquad forum, and unless hard facts show up it might not be worth to toy around with it) Yes, I see this. Let me do some checking just to be sure. My friend, Mike, can help me to ensure that this is indeed correct. Both types used white and green interchangeably throughout the wars. I will look at the Austrian army PDF I have too which discusses uniform colors for 1805. Simple fix by the way. I use Ultra Edit to do mass changes within files.

- Following French artillery units are designated as "Heavy" unit type but should be "Light" unit type(at least judging by the artillery that is uses), they use B but should use A for the unit type in the OOB.
1/8 Regt Foot
3/7 Regt Foot(2x in OOB, 1 in Art/3D/IIIC, 1 in Res/IIIC )
17/5 Regt Foot(4x in OOB, 1 in Art/1D/IVC, 1 in Art/2D/IVC, 1 in Art/3D/IVC, 1 in Res/IVC but that one is correctly designated B, the others all use A)
5/1 Regt Foot
3/1 Regt Foot

I cannot verify this .... I do not have Bowden's book on the campaign anymore. So maybe the gun type should have been "heavy" ... but let me see what I can find out. The French army was still using 8lb guns then. You are confusing the issue too ... if it is a Light gun then it uses a "B" gun class (Light). If it is a "A" type then it is a (Heavy) gun class. Or were you speaking of the PDT file weapon type?

- French 17/5 Regt Foot is 4x in OOB, 1 in Art/1D/IVC, 1 in Art/2D/IVC, 1 in Art/3D/IVC, 1 inRes/IVC, all together 24 guns what seem much too large for a single company that should have only 8 guns. Are these other companies?

Probably what happened is that I copied it three times in that corps. Again, I will have to refer to Bowden or OB for that corps to get it correct.

- Does the French 4/7 Chasseurs purposely use 18/6 as graphic/icon instead of 19/6 like the other squadrons of the regiment? Yes, am sure that the 19 is an error.

- 3lb Grenz Bty doesn't use the Grenzer artillery graphic(50) but just the normal foot artillery graphic(48), same counts for unit icon, it uses 4 but should use 6. Will fix this.

- For the Austrian army the unit graphic for the German units seem to be used very often, only very few use the Hungarian graphics, just wonder if that is correct. I used a list of regiments that were either Hungarian or German. A lot of the Hungarian regiments fought in Italy. You might want to look in the OB for the Caldiero campaign in N.Italy. A higher percentage of Hungarian regiments were present in the Archduke Charles' army.

- In Kutusov's Army the Musketeers Regiments use the same graphics for their Fusilier Bat. and Grenadier Bat., they also have the same quality ratings, I can understand that some Grenadiers might not have performed above the Fusilier units but isn't it appropriate to still use the Grenadier graphics for the grenadier battalions like it was done in Buxhowden army? Probably a mistake. I will look into this one.

- The Heavy Section in Artillery/IIC uses the graphic for the Garde Artillery, is that correct?
Hmm, probably an error.

I made a copy of your comments and will look them over. No guarantee that they will make it to the next update. I will try my best. I am busy with getting my current project finished.

Generalfeldmarschall Wilhelm Prinz Peters von Dennewitz

3. Husaren-Regiment, Reserve-Kavallerie, Preußischen Armee-Korps

Honarary CO of Garde-Ulanen Regiment, Garde-Grenadier Kavallerie

NWC Founding Member

For Club Games: I prefer the Single Phase mode of play. I prefer to play with the following options OFF:

MDF, VP4LC, NRO, MTD, CMR, PR, MIM, NDM, OMR (ver 4.07)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:17 am 

Your correct I mixed up A & B but I definitely mean the unit type not the weapon.
When I checked the OOB scenario I saw artillery units that used B as unit type and those carry the designation "Light".
The units I listed should have this too in my opinion because they use rather light artillery guns like the French 3lb & 6lb.
I listed those with the French 8lb too because there are other units in the French OOB that use this gun and they are designated as Light so I thought that you regard the 8lb as Light artillery too.
Or should the 8lb be heavy? in that case I will search the units that are designated as Light.

1/8 Regt Foot using French 3lb
3/7 Regt Foot(2x in OOB, 1 in Art/3D/IIIC using French 8lb, 1 in Res/IIIC using French 12lb this one is obviously OK but the first in Art/3D/IIIC should be designated as Light too)
17/5 Regt Foot(4x in OOB, 1 in Art/1D/IVC using French 6lb, 1 in Art/2D/IVC using French 6lb, 1 in Art/3D/IVC using French 6lb, 1 in Res/IVC using French 6lb but this one is correctly designated as Light, the others all use A unit type and so are not designated as Light but should be)
5/1 Regt Foot using French 8lb
3/1 Regt Foot using French 8lb

Regarding the Hungarians, I haven't checked what is used in the OOB but compared what I saw in the Italian_Campaign_OB.scn to what was written in the "Armies of 1805" pdf.
And there you say Hungarians use blue pants and the examples you mention there the Benjowsky IR#31 and Alvinczy IR#19 units don't wear blue pants, at least not in the Italian_Campaign_OB.scn I used.
Only units I see with blue pants are infantry units that are designated as Light.

Besides that from the PDF I though the soldier graphic of a Hungarian line unit doesn't carry a mustache so to distinguish them from the German line, but on the units.bmp I don't see any picture that fits to that from the PDF.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:55 am 

Christian - always glad to go back and check on the Austrian uniforms.

Consider all of this a long term project. I doubt I could get to it all this year or even by May of next year. Probably when I get a more permanent residence and job hunting is over and I have a job where I am not going to be laid off within 2 mos.

NWC Founding Member

For Club Games: I prefer the Single Phase mode of play. I prefer to play with the following options OFF:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:35 am 

Further update: pretty much in the same situation. Cant get to this right away. I really appreciate the depth of research and checking you have done on our work! Don't be discouraged by my sometimes negative replies. I hate to commit to something I know I wont get to right off and then have the person ask me over and over again when its going to be ready.

Just figure that its on my list of things to do.

We also found out that a Corsican light infantry unit was accidentally given a cavalry unit instead. These things happen when there is only one instance of the unit in an OB.

NWC Founding Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:53 pm 

No problem, I understand that very well and I personally also rather keep it on my list than work on things when I can't fully commit to them.
As long as it's on your list I don't worry.