Napoleonic Wargame Club (NWC)

The Rhine Tavern

*   NWC   NWC Staff   NWC Rules   NWC (DoR) Records   About Us   Send Email Inquiry to NWC

*   La Grande Armée Quartier Général    La Grande Armée Officer Records    Join La Grande Armée

*   Allied Coalition   Allied Officers   Join Coalition

*   Coalition Armies:   Austro-Prussian-Swedish Army   Anglo Allied Army (AAA)   Imperial Russian Army

Forums:    ACWGC    CCC     Home:    ACWGC    CCC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:47 pm 

#08H3. The Full Battle of Caldiero - Historical (HTH)
A question here, could be that the release of the French 2nd Division is set to in incorrect time & date?
It's released on 10am on the 30th October while the description mentions its release on 8am on the 31st October
I looked at the 1st day scenario(#08H1. First Day of Caldiero - Historical (HTH)) and here the division doesn't release at all on the 30th October.
I guess it's not intended that the division is able to cross the river before the second day or is it?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:24 am 

I was going by the source information I had at hand. They said that the division was out of the battle until it crossed the river. From what I remember one brigade did cross but was forced back across the river. Thus the division as a whole did not engage the Austrians until the next day.

Feel free to put out an alternate version if you feel that mine is incorrect.

Its a hard scenario to win as the Austrians. Add in that division and it might upset the balance of the scenario. If you decide to release it sooner I suggest you playtest it first before you post a scenario. I can only think that the troops on the Austrian left flank will get overrun if you add them in.

Generalfeldmarschall Wilhelm Prinz Peters von Dennewitz

3. Husaren-Regiment, Reserve-Kavallerie, Preußischen Armee-Korps

Honarary CO of Garde-Ulanen Regiment, Garde-Grenadier Kavallerie

NWC Founding Member

For Club Games: I prefer the Single Phase mode of play. I prefer to play with the following options OFF:

MDF, VP4LC, NRO, MTD, CMR, PR, MIM, NDM, OMR (ver 4.07)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:43 pm 

I haven't found any hard facts on what the rest of the the 2nd French division did on the 30th but in "Erzherzog Carl von Österreich als Feldherr und Heeresorganisator" Volumen 3 the brigade of Brun is mentioned and that it was supposed to march east on the northern bank to allow the crossing of the 2nd French division near Perassco. It also mentions that the brigade of Brun battled with the Austrian brigade of Nordmann, at first Brun had only 1 regiment and was in thrown back twice before the second joined, if that is correct it maybe worth to consider placing some or all battalions of Brun's brigade on the northern bank of the river.
That the rest of the 2nd French division joined on the 30th is not mentioned, so if it crosses on the 31st it's just fine.
At the end the exact release time of the 2nd division doesn't matter that much as the pioneers that can repair the bridge won't release before 9pm on the 30th and I guess it takes them until the morning of the 31st to get the bridges done if not longer.

So currently I just point out that the description is contradictory to what the player sees in the scenario, you may want to correct the description so it doesn't lead to anymore questions.