Napoleonic Wargame Club (NWC)

The Rhine Tavern

*   NWC   NWC Staff   NWC Rules   NWC (DoR) Records   About Us   Send Email Inquiry to NWC

*   La Grande Armée Quartier Général    La Grande Armée Officer Records    Join La Grande Armée

*   Allied Coalition   Allied Officers   Join Coalition

*   Coalition Armies:   Austro-Prussian-Swedish Army   Anglo Allied Army (AAA)   Imperial Russian Army

Forums:    ACWGC    CCC     Home:    ACWGC    CCC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:31 pm 

A returning veteran needs a frenchman for one of the following scenarios from campaign Marengo:
1. #033 Quad1 361 turns with an adjusted pdt file, so that the movement model would be as in campaign Eckmuhl. Most preferable.
2. #050 Arcole 280 turns
3. #053-54 Quad2 352 turns

House and optional rules up to discussion. Preferably Master-ofEurope style. Fast turnaround would be necessary.

Commanding Astrakhan grenadiers regiment
2nd Grenadiers Division, Russian Contingent

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:16 am 

It all sounds interesting... Tell me, though, what you mean by pdt file and whether you insist on ot, and what is the Master of Europe style.

Salute!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:20 pm 

Dear Tomasz,

The theme about the pdt files means that all the parameters of movements, actions etc are stated in a separate file, having an extension pdt. In particular it includes movement allowance and movement costs for different types of units. The scenarios included into the Campaign Marengo provide two main settings. One uses 10 minutes long turns with movement allowance for infantry 16 and basic movement cost of 4. The other setting uses 15 minutes long turns with parameters being 10 and 2 respectively. On the average the speed of all the units measured in hex per hour remains the same. But that only on the average. In particular the first one allows for differentiation betweens the roads. Movement along pikes turns out to be much faster that via roads.

The scenario #033 uses the second setting. From my experience with the scenario I conclude that the setting promotes unhistorical actions. Given the scenario length, using the 10 minutes turns is not a good idea. So I suggest to use the third setting which lies between the two. It uses the 15 minites turns and 4 MP basic cost. With movement allowances adjusted accordingly. It was widely used by Bill Peters in early 2000s. If you are still interested, drop me a line to anton_kosyanenko[at]yahoo[dot]com and I'll send you the files needed. They will not affect the gameplay in other your games.

Master of Europe is a set of culb-wide tournaments we had back then. It's often abbreviated as MOE. The latest one being the IV, the link is here: http://www.wargamech.ca/wc/nwc/Club_Web ... index.html
In the bottom of the page you may find optional rules recommended for participants to use. These are the most popular set of house rules used in the Club.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:20 pm 

Dear Tomasz,

The theme about the pdt files means that all the parameters of movements, actions etc are stated in a separate file, having an extension pdt. In particular it includes movement allowance and movement costs for different types of units. The scenarios included into the Campaign Marengo provide two main settings. One uses 10 minutes long turns with movement allowance for infantry 16 and basic movement cost of 4. The other setting uses 15 minutes long turns with parameters being 10 and 2 respectively. On the average the speed of all the units measured in hex per hour remains the same. But that only on the average. In particular the first one allows for differentiation betweens the roads. Movement along pikes turns out to be much faster that via roads.

The scenario #033 uses the second setting. From my experience with the scenario I conclude that the setting promotes unhistorical actions. Given the scenario length, using the 10 minutes turns is not a good idea. So I suggest to use the third setting which lies between the two. It uses the 15 minites turns and 4 MP basic cost. With movement allowances adjusted accordingly. It was widely used by Bill Peters in early 2000s. If you are still interested, drop me a line to anton_kosyanenko[at]yahoo[dot]com and I'll send you the files needed. They will not affect the gameplay in other your games.

Master of Europe is a set of culb-wide tournaments we had back then. It's often abbreviated as MOE. The latest one being the IV, the link is here: http://www.wargamech.ca/wc/nwc/Club_Web ... index.html
In the bottom of the page you may find optional rules recommended for participants to use. These are the most popular set of house rules used in the Club.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:10 pm 

It is difficult to come up with a road and pike movement rate that works without using very large MP rates so that there is some differentiation between a road and a pike.

For this new game I am working on, because the games seem to take too long to play, I am adding in more Pikes than in the past.

My approach for Eckmuhl was to have some differentiation. For the 10 min. moves I think its a fractional value of the Eckmuhl game PDT mp rates.

We cannot use fractions or decimals in the PDT File for the MP rates or costs and apart from using something like 100 for a MP rate the ones I have are the best I could come up with.

Note: I wish we could have had a "Double Time" movement allowance added in - with high fatigue accrual as a result ... but just never could get that added to my top priority list of options for the series. Isnt going to happen either.

Remember: the 10 min. move turn format was mainly used to help avoid Blitz issues. There is less movement per turn so you can square up or change formation (limber, etc) and avoid enemy cavalry a bit easier than in the Waterloo/NRC or Eckmuhl formats.

Good idea, Anton, and let me know how this game turns out.

Wish I could pick up the challenge but the move and my new duties at new house will keep me busier than normal. I will have to do my game turns in the morning when I get up and later at night before I go to bed.

Generalfeldmarschall Wilhelm Prinz Peters von Dennewitz

3. Husaren-Regiment, Reserve-Kavallerie, Preußischen Armee-Korps

Honarary CO of Garde-Ulanen Regiment, Garde-Grenadier Kavallerie

NWC Founding Member

For Club Games: I prefer the Single Phase mode of play. I prefer to play with the following options OFF:

MDF, VP4LC, NRO, MTD, CMR, PR, MIM, NDM, OMR (ver 4.07)