Napoleonic Wargame Club (NWC)

The Rhine Tavern

*   NWC   NWC Staff   NWC Rules   NWC (DoR) Records   About Us   Send Email Inquiry to NWC

*   La Grande Armée Quartier Général    La Grande Armée Officer Records    Join La Grande Armée

*   Allied Coalition   Allied Officers   Join Coalition

*   Coalition Armies:   Austro-Prussian-Swedish Army   Anglo Allied Army (AAA)   Imperial Russian Army

Forums:    ACWGC    CCC     Home:    ACWGC    CCC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Returning Soon
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:19 pm 

Good evening Gents

Some of you will be aware that around late September of 2016 I had an allergic reaction to some new medication I was starting to take for a stomach problem. Unfortunately this caused me to collapse and after spending a short time in ITU in a coma I woke up to very poor mobility, balance very poor resulting in spending a lot of time on the floor instead of my feet, severe pain in my legs, feet and ankles and eyesight affected enough to now where glasses for long distance (If I was a dog I would have been put down). I have been told it is possible damage to my brain which has affected mobility, balance and sight.

To be honest this has been hard especially as a family but it has brought us closer together. It has been tough as getting about now is via a wheelchair, crutches around the house but climbing the stairs to use the toilet, bathroom and get to bed has been very tough, resulting in falls, both up and down stairs, sleeping or I should say more like lying on the couch most nights as sleep does not come well, the odd accident due to my stubbornness not to use a commode (adult potty), and tears when I have had no choice, and if you shook me I would rattle due to the 31 tablets I take daily.

So my apologies to those whom I have neglected recently. I just need time as I am struggling both physically and mentally, coping with this new situation.

I have started Physiotherapy which I attend weekly and exercises I do on a daily basis, the young ladies have looked after me but push me hard and I need it at times and it can be gruelling work but I know it keeps my muscles from wasting away in my legs. I now have a car which has hand controls so I can get out and about once more, it has boosted my morale and with the help of my new wheelchair and a hoist fitted to the vehicle to help me get the wheelchair in and out, well I was like a kid in a sweet shop the first day I got it. House is like a small hospital now with walkers and crutches, commode, and various other equipment. Finally got money sorted which again has made a difference and we have been told we have got the house we applied for so I can now get a stair-lift fitted and hopefully we can move in within the next 6 weeks.

On the whole I know days are hard for me and coping can be difficult but I think I need to now look to get back into things. My war gaming has taken a nose dive also and even with pushing from Kelly my partner, I have lost interest but I hope to return to it soon as I have something in mind which I intend to pursue. I am hoping now to get back to the NWC and John if you still require a chief of staff well I would be honoured to jump back in (oh if only), if not I can finish a few things I started, email me at my outlook address if you wish to discuss things further.

I have a Sun Tzu quote as part of my signature, it says "If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle." For a while I did not know myself or my enemy and I struggled with defeat at every turn, but now I am starting to get to know myself, my limitations and also new possibilities and I know that my disability is not a difficult enemy to overcome but one that only tests you and makes you stronger and I am slowly not fearing the many battles ahead or their outcome but taking each day as it comes and dealing with it and fighting the battle put before me regardless of its outcome.

And now I will bid you all a good evening as my tea is calling a mountain of stairs to then climb.

Salute :frenchsalute: :frenchvive1: :frenchvive: :frenchvive1:

Post subject: Re: Returning Soon
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:33 pm 

Glad to see you are still amongst us.

Take care of yourself before you plunge back into the NWC...We are always here

2ème Brigade,
2ème Division,
1er Corps d'Armée,
La Grande Armée

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:41 pm 

Mark, you certainly sound life one tough dude. I am glad you are hanging in there. And I am glad you are not a dog.

Thanks for letting us know,
Jim

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:39 pm 

In New Zealand their is a Maori word we say to each other at times like this - kia kaha. It's tough to translate but in essence it means 'be strong' but its spiritual and well meaning.

So kia kaha Mark and I hope you have an improvement soon.

kind regards
Colin

Prince d'Austerlitz et Comte d'Argentan
Ordre national de la Légion d'honneur

"What is history but a fable agreed upon"

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:35 pm 

So sorry to hear of all of your medical problems. Looking forward to your return! I suffer with some paralysis but nothing like what you are going through. Hang in there and hang tough! :frenchvive1:

Generalfeldmarschall Wilhelm Prinz Peters von Dennewitz

3. Husaren-Regiment, Reserve-Kavallerie, Preußischen Armee-Korps

Honarary CO of Garde-Ulanen Regiment, Garde-Grenadier Kavallerie

NWC Founding Member

For Club Games: I prefer the Single Phase mode of play. I prefer to play with the following options OFF:

MDF, VP4LC, NRO, MTD, CMR, PR, MIM, NDM, OMR (ver 4.07)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:30 am 

Thanks for the NHS I say!

Glad to hear you are back here with us. Sounds like a dreadful time for you all.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:45 pm 

WOW! Continued good luck on improving.

I sent you a PM with a suggestion.

President, Colonial Campaigns Club

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:00 pm 

Good to see you returning Mark! :frenchvive:

And good to hear that you turned to winning "battles" again. :frenchvive1:

Now, would you mind telling us about those "young ladies"... :thumbsup:

Good luck and all the best! :frenchsalute:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:01 am 

Keep well and strong Sir. Members are with you.

Hurrah for the NHS indeed :)

From Kuala Lumpur where it is bloody raining again. Never mind, back to good old Blighty soon.

10th. Br. Bde.,
40th.(2nd. Somersetshire) Regt. of Foot

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:13 pm 

We're all glad to hear from you Mark and we're all wishing you well! One day at a time, we'll be here, even if it is just me and Bill Peters, after Ken Jones' horse blows the tavern a part with a fart... :frenchlol: :thumbsup:

Seriously though, take your time, we'll be hanging out and holding a spot for you by the bar! Pretty sure I told Richard Bradshaw to keep on eye on it... :russianveryhappy:

Just remember, even a man who thinks he's pregnant by an elephant, can still topple the greatest empire of his time! :frenchcool :frenchlol: :frenchsalute:

Allied Coalition Webmaster & Club Website Support