Napoleonic Wargame Club (NWC)

The Rhine Tavern

*   NWC   NWC Staff   NWC Rules   NWC (DoR) Records   About Us   Send Email Inquiry to NWC

*   La Grande Armée Quartier Général    La Grande Armée Officer Records    Join La Grande Armée

*   Allied Coalition   Allied Officers   Join Coalition

*   Coalition Armies:   Austro-Prussian-Swedish Army   Anglo Allied Army (AAA)   Imperial Russian Army

Forums:    ACWGC    CCC     Home:    ACWGC    CCC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:27 pm 

Bonjour Mis Amis,

I am looking for an experienced officer for large campaign scenario #'s 06 and 07 with reduced stacking of 1200 infantry and 400 cavalry. I have found I believe that reduced stacking gives a much more realistic and historically accurate battle . It allows for greater defense in depth and no more 1000 man heavy cavalry stacks acting like tank battalions running over anything.

Also I have changed movement allowances to be in line with the Eckmulh Campaign, infantry (22), cavalry (28) and artillery (24). This a much more flexible movement system. I will supply all necessary files which will not alter the overall game.

I would like to exchange 3+ turns per week. I will play either side and I am negotiable on optional rules. If interested please send courier to my HQ.

Respectfully, :frenchsalute:

4ème Corps d'Armée
La Grande Armée

Last edited by Thomas Moore on Wed May 10, 2017 4:45 pm, edited 6 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:12 pm 

Thomas - what charge multiplier are you using? Are cavalry worth 3x, 4x or 5x their value?

Generalfeldmarschall Wilhelm Prinz Peters von Dennewitz

3. Husaren-Regiment, Reserve-Kavallerie, Preußischen Armee-Korps

Honarary CO of Garde-Ulanen Regiment, Garde-Grenadier Kavallerie

NWC Founding Member

For Club Games: I prefer the Single Phase mode of play. I prefer to play with the following options OFF:

MDF, VP4LC, NRO, MTD, CMR, PR, MIM, NDM, OMR (ver 4.07)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:13 am 

Hello Bill,

I am using 3 for the multiplier and 3 for follow through. I also increased disruption to 3/4's movement so fighting retreats could be more easily conducted with out having to sacrifice so many units that become disordered.

Lastly, my main compliant is with the stacking limit for cavalry is way to high in the standard game. In an article from H & R boys 1.01 project. They clearly show that not much more than 300 cavalry in a 100 meter hex could be handled effectively.If you like I will be glad to send you a copy of the H & R article if you do not have it.

I would love to hear your views on the subject. Thanks

4ème Corps d'Armée
La Grande Armée

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:09 am 

The problem with the H&R reasoning is that in large battle scenarios you simply cannot get the spread that they want. Its like a New York sidewalk at rush hour. You are constantly having to move a piles of units out of the way to get one more in.

In miniatures it worked right ..you had spacing and yet you had the ability to mass too.

What the system needs is a unit match up based not so much on size but on the ratings of experience, morale and leadership as well as fatigue and losses.

I hail H&R for trying to come up with an alternative but my experience playing it was like trying to wade through shoppers in the mall at Christmas time.

Cavalry stacking has been lowered in the games I helped produce from 900 to 600 ... so at least I made an effort ... I remember when it was 2000 infantry and 1000 cavalry. The old days of Battleground ....

Generalfeldmarschall Wilhelm Prinz Peters von Dennewitz

3. Husaren-Regiment, Reserve-Kavallerie, Preußischen Armee-Korps

Honarary CO of Garde-Ulanen Regiment, Garde-Grenadier Kavallerie

NWC Founding Member

For Club Games: I prefer the Single Phase mode of play. I prefer to play with the following options OFF:

MDF, VP4LC, NRO, MTD, CMR, PR, MIM, NDM, OMR (ver 4.07)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:02 am 

Hello Bill,

Thank you for your thoughts. I also tried the the H&R games and found the same problems of stacking. They nearly doubled the number of units. Also their attack modifier of ( -60 ) made successful melees very difficult.

My proposed limits of 1200 infantry and 400 cavalry does not increase the number of units. Certainly less than the games that have only cavalry squadrons. What it does is makes the single battalion stack of battalions over say 700 or more a viable defensive force in one hex.

In regards to cavalry the H&R research article pretty much shows that the limit on how many cavalry could be controlled in a 100 meter hex was about 300. Therefore I compromised set the limit to 400 to make it easier to get a stack of 2 or 3 squadrons closer to the limit.

Next, I set the strength value of artillery guns to 10 men. I did this so a battery of artillery could be stacked with almost all battalions. My reasoning for this was that artillery batteries in the first rank usually deployed with close infantry support so crews could run for shelter at the last moment before melee.

Now this 10 men strength value gives you a stacking limit in the parameter data of 120 guns. I solve this with a simple house rule of limiting deployed artillery to 8 guns per hex which was the historical limit for artillery.

While I'm at it I also increased disordered movement from 2/3 to 3/4. This greatly facilitates fighting retreats where the common tactic of the pursuers is to engage retreating units in order to disorder a unit and make it a sitting duck for persueing forces.

Finally,the objective in making these changes was to make the game more historically accurate in comparesion to smash and crash battles that high stacking limits lead to. My tool for this was a few simple changes to the pdt. file with out the use of a large number of house rules. Also it does not require any changes to OOB's.

Well, I hope this food for thought and would like to hear your ideas.

Tom

4ème Corps d'Armée
La Grande Armée