Napoleonic Wargame Club (NWC)

The Rhine Tavern

*   NWC   NWC Staff   NWC Rules   NWC (DoR) Records   About Us   Send Email Inquiry to NWC

*   La Grande Armée Quartier Général    La Grande Armée Officer Records    Join La Grande Armée

*   Allied Coalition   Allied Officers   Join Coalition

*   Coalition Armies:   Austro-Prussian-Swedish Army   Anglo Allied Army (AAA)   Imperial Russian Army

Forums:    ACWGC    CCC     Home:    ACWGC    CCC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Any Allied officer
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:18 am 

I was wondering if any Allied officer would like to accept the challenge of a newly arrived (yet not new to the game) French artillery lieutenant.
Any scenario from JTS Leipzig. I'd like to try a manoeuvering one if possible (Kulm or one of the bonuses for instance).
1 turn per day, plus ou moins.

Post subject: Re: Any Allied officer
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:21 am 

Why the so limited choice, monsieur lieutenant?

If you have the Napoleonic Russian Campaign software, I could offer you more than 10 custom but strictly historical scenarios; those are created perfectly for training - maneuvering - clashes as you wish.

1. The battle of Vilkomir, June 28th, 1812. Historical (65 turns, Medium). The rearguard action of the Russian 1st Corps under command of GL Wittgenstein against the advancing Marshal Oudinot's II Corps. The Russians perform their scheduled retreat to Dunaburg. GM Kulnev's rear guard attempts to hold back the French advance-guard. Can Wittgenstein hold out until the rest of his march columns and rear guard troops arrive, or not?

2. The Battle of Saltanovka, July 23rd, 1812. Historical (58 turns, Medium). I guess, you are familiar with the battle. It is just the R&H interpretation.

3. The Battle of Kakuvyachino, July 26th, 1812. Historical (48 turns, Medium) . After the day of battle at Ostrovno on July 25th, the French advance guard under command of Marshal Murat brings up reinforcements for the coming day's battle. The Russian rear guard get reinforcements too, and make the attempt to hold back la Grand Armee, in the hope that Bagration's Second Army may still be able to join with Barclay's First Army at Vitebsk.

4. The Battle of Yakubovo-Klyastitsy, July 30th - 31st,1812. Historical ( 120 turns, Large). Wittgenstein had planned to cross the Dvina at Druya and fall on Oudinot's rear. He had learned that Macdonald was about to cross the river at Jakobstad. Apprehensive that Oudinot and Macdonald might mount a combined operation against him, Wittgenstein turned around and moved toward Sebezh. On his way there, he got information that Oudinot was headed in that direction as well. Wittgenstein decided to attack at once to clear his own way to Sebezh. Oudinot still had no idea where Wittgenstein was when he arrived in Klyastitsy on the afternoon of July, 30th. When Wittgenstein learned of the French positions, he ordered GM Kulnyev's advanced guard to attack without awaiting further reinforcements. The French advanced posts were chased out of the woods before Olkhova at 5:00 p.m. by Kulnyev's forces as he moved onto the small plateau overlooking Yakubovo .

5. The Battle of Pruzhany, August 8th, 1812. Historical (52 turns. Medium). South of the main army, Prince Schwarzenberg's Austrian and GD Reynier's Saxon Corpses maneuvered against the Gen.Tormasov's 3rd Russian Observation Army. They were anxious to avenge the defeat at Kobrin of July, 27th. The advancing Austro-Saxon forces were beginning to threaten Tormasov's magazines in Pruzhany, so he adjusted his maneuvers to increase the level of pressure against the enemies in an effort to slow their advance. Both sides sent out numerous reconnaissance forces to probe ahead of their advancing columns.

6. The Battle of the Berezina, October 20-23, 1812. What if? (288 turns, Large). So, what if: Napoleon left Moscow a month earlier; Admiral Chichagov came with his army on the banks of river Berezina a month earlier too, far outpacing his opponents in the Volynia; the XI corps of Marshal Augereau came to Russia right after the corps of Marshal Victor, and while the latter holds back the tide of GL Wittgenstein and Shteingel's troops on the left, and the Prince Schwarzenberg's unreliable Austrians and weak Saxons of GD Reynier related struggle with the forces of GL Osten-Sacken on the right wing, the corps of Augereau and quite inexperienced military forces of the Duchy of Lithuania - the last chance of the Emperor to retain the Berezina crossings and for salvation of the whole La Grande Armee (also the Victor's IX Corps is involved there at the last day of the battle).

7. The battle of Chashniki, October 31st, 1812.Historical (100 turns, Large). After Marshal St.Cyr left Polotsk, the French were no longer able to hold the Dvina line. II Corps withdrew to the Ulla, its main force at Chashniki, the VI Bavarian Corps - in the direction of Vilna. Thus, at the very moment when Napoleon began his retreat from Moscow, the situation called, above all, for ensuring the security of the line of retreat in the rear of the French main army, and took on a dengerous complexion. The safety of the French army rested solely on Marshal Victor's IX Corps in Smolensk - the only major formation along the line of retreat. After wounded at Polotsk Marshal St.Cyr had been put out of action, and with Victor on the scene, there was no any question about who was in command. The two corps united between October 29th and 31st.
GL Wittgenstein's troops crossed the Dvina on the 24th, took up the pursuit and arrived in front of Chashniki on 31st. Though, accidentally misdirected Legrand's division and IX Corps cavalry were not present, Victor knew he had to engage Wittgenstein, but he wanted to act with full strength and postponed his advance to the next day. Wittgenstein, however, unaware of Victor's presence in the area, attacked II Corps.

8. The Battle of Fridrichschtadt-Dahlenkirchen, November 11th, 1812. Historical (56 turns, Medium). The attempt of GL Paulucci with the Riga Corps go on the offensive and to defeat Marshal Macdonald's X Corps. Given the weakness of his troops, Macdonald did not attempt to lay siege to Riga, leaving for the Russian troops a chance to mount a major offensive operation against the enemy, who, in their observation role, were widely dispersed. This presented the Riga Corps with opportunity to throw the X Corps back across the Aa river, and then make advancing against Mitau.

9. The battle of Volkovysk, November 16th, 1812. Historical (56 turns, Medium). When FM Schwarzenberg heard of Admiral Chichagov troop's departure to get in touch with GL Wittgenstein's Corps, he marched on following him. Reynier's VII Corps had been left behind near Volkovysk to cover against the GL Osten-Sacken's Army of Wolynia approach. Learning the Austrians had crossed the Bug river, Osten-Sacken followed at once, reached Yzabelin on the November 14th, and faced Reynier, who held Volkovysk. Sacken took Reynier by surprise and captured the town in a night attack, but he was unable to dislodge the enemy from his main position on the high ground north of Volkovysk. Renewing his attack on the 15th, Sacken suddenly realized that he was in a precarious position: Schwarzenberg turned around to lend a hand to his ally and appeared at Volkovysk on the 16th.

10. The Battle of the Tagliamento River, September 28th, 1813. What if? (156 turns, Large). "Hannibal ante portas!" The Austrian invasion of Italy in September of 1813. Marshall Murat at the head of all combined Italo-Neapolitan forces.

You have the very remarkable avatar, monsieur lieutenant. If I'm right, that is a Staff-officer of the King Victor-Emmanuel's Italian army.
The beautiful portret. Is he your ancestor?

Votre serviteur,

Chevalier Guards Regiment

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:16 am 

Dear Prince,
Unfortunately I do not own NRC: currently, my equipment is limited to Leipzig and Marengo. I'll improve it in the future.
The fine officer in the portrait is the Neapolitan-French officer Carlo Filangieri: indeed a remarkable personality, yet not an ancestor of mine..

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:52 am 

Hmm.. I have not found him in my OOB of the King Murat's Neapolitan army. :frenchsad:
But he is very interesting for me. What a noble personality!
Please, monsieur lieutenant, what do know about him?

As much I can attribute correctly his uniform, it is Regimento di Cacciatori #3.
The Commander's Order of the Two Sicilies and epaulets show his too high military and social status. He is Brigade General at least.
What else?

Now about a battle for you, mon amie.
Ok, your preference. Leipzig. Bonus 9.
The battle of Kulm was always interesting for me. It was the "starry hour" of my hero - GL Osterman-Tolstoi. But I never play it.
Start, please, the scenario and send file to my Headquarters - vladimir1812@gmail.com
Optional Rules - at your choice.

Votre serviteur,

Chevalier Guards Regiment

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:26 pm 

Well, Your excellency did not find him because at the time (1815) he was an aide-de-camp and unofficial chief of staff to King Joaquim. His rank in the Neapolitan army was maresciallo di campo (major general), the king apponted him lieutenant general only after the battle of the river Panaro, in the final days of his rule.
Before these last shots of the Napoleonic wars, he was an officer in the Grande Armée, where he only reached the rank of captain, mainly because in 1808 he killed a northern italian general in the French service in a duel - which really bothered the French. It is said that Napoleon called him "tete de Vesuve" (Vesuve-head), and I do not think that it was meant to be a compliment.

I find that the most interesting part of his life is the post-1815 one though. He remained in the Neapolitan service under the Bourbons until 1860, being cashiered after the 1820-21 revolution, being recalled in 1831, reforming the army in the 1830s, being the general-in-chief which reconquered Sicily in 1849, and finally inducing the last king of Naples Francis II to give a constitution to its state. A pretty interesting biography indeed.

I'll send you a dispatch with the opening shots.