This historic crossroads town, midway between Ratisbon and Ingolstadt, assumed great strategic significance in April 1809. It is an oft-contested objective in Campaign Eckmuhl.
Downtown Abensberg: The Klosterkirche (Abbey Church), built in 1710.
Downtown Abensberg: Marktplatz (Market Square), with houses dating from the 15th to the 17th Centuries.
Abensberg: Surviving section of medieval town wall.
Abensberg: 15th-Century Traidstadl.
Abensberg: Sankt Barbara Catholic Church, built in 1380, modernized in 1700. The steeple is the highest structure in town, a landmark visible from far away.
Abensberg: Medieval town wall facing the Abens River.
River Abens at Abensberg.
The Napoleonshohe, the height east of Abensberg on which Napoleon stood to address the Bavarian contingent at about 8:30 AM on 20 April, 1809. In Campaign Eckmuhl, the hill is an important feature in any fighting around Abensberg. Also known as "Gary McClellan Hill."
Looking west from Napoleonshohe toward Abensberg. The steeple of Sankt Barbara Church is visible in the distance. The town of Abensberg has expanded eastward, filling most of the formerly open ground west of the hill.
Looking west from the southern end of the Napoleonshohe, toward Abensberg (Skt Barbara steeple at right), the local shopping center and....McDonald's!
Looking south from the Napoleonshohe over the formerly marshy valley of the Abens River, now drained but still very low and flat. The church steeple in the distance is probably at Perka.
Looking southeast from Biburg. These heights are a key tactical feature of the Abensberg-Siegenburg-Offenstetten area.
Looking southwest from the Steinberg hill over the Siegbach valley and Siegenburg.
Return to Index