American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:17 am 

Gentlemen <salute>

After reviewing all the feedback and after consultation of the ACWGC Cabinet I have concluded that going with Option C is the best for the Armies of the Confederacy. Therefor I have prepared a draft plan to take us from a four army structure to one consisting of two armies. I request that each of you read the draft plan below and comment on this post or e-mail me directly

The Transition Plan for the Restructuring the Armies of the Confederacy

The Individual Officer

•Officers serving in the current Western Armies will be reassigned to the new Western Army (yet to be officially named).
•Officers currently serving in the Army of Georgia will be reassigned to the Army of Northern Virginia
•If there is a large imbalance in final army numbers then officers may be requested by the CoA to transfer to the other army
•Officers being reassigned may submit a special request to the Chief of the Armies to be transferred to another army.
•Officers being reassigned will retain all Army level and CSA awards as at the day of transfer
•Officers being reassigned will be issued a certificate of service and ribbon acknowledging their service in a disbanded army.
•Officers are more than welcome to retain their brigade name when they take up any new command

Command Positions – Western Army

•All officers currently serving in command roles will be asked if the wish to stay on. If they do then they will be put on the “To Command List”. However they must give a commitment to meet the administration requirements of their command position.
•Once vacant slots in the new army have been identified they will be filled by officers from the To Command List
•Once the remaining vacant positions list is known then command volunteers will be called for from the CSA – Colonels and above will be considered. Majors and above will be considered for CoS roles
•Appointments made to the new Western Army will be made by the CoA, in consultation with WTC and AC designates.

Command Positions – Army of Northern Virginia

•All officers currently serving in command roles will be asked if the wish to stay on. If they do then they will remain in their current position
•Once any remaining vacant positions are known then command volunteers will be called for from the AoG – Colonels and above will be considered. Majors and above will be considered for CoS roles
•Appointments to the ANV will be made by the ANV Army Commander in consultation with the AoG Army Commander, the ETC and the CoA

Command Positions – Theatre Commanders

• Appointments made to Theatre Commander and CSA HQ Chief of Staff will be made by the CoA
• Volunteers will be called for from the CSA – Colonels and above will be considered. Captains and above will be considered for the CoS roles

Volunteers;

When volunteers are called for Officers may volunteer for more than one position.

Chiefs of Staff;

CoS’s may, if they wish, retain a brigade command.

Transition Time Frame;

September 2014 –

•Confirm Option C is the CSA members preference
•E-mail all members of the CSA informing them of change
•Confirm the Western Army’s final name
•Call for Volunteers
•Cam goes on leave for 10 days

October 2014 –

•Set up new Western Army structure in the DoR
•Publish the proposed OoB for each army
•Time for further consultation if required
•Send out appointment letters and Army Ribbon Certificates
•Change over all officers to their new commands

1st November 2014

•CSA two army structure in place

December 2014

•CSA CoA Election Period
•Website Rebuild

1st January 2014

•Elected CSA CoA takes command

Brigade Commander
Alabama State Volunteers
Cleburne's Division
Hardee's Corps
(1/1/1)
Army of Tennessee

Confederate States of America

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:58 pm 
Suh Salute!! -

A very comprehensive guide to accomplish our re-organization. - Thank you Sir for taking the initiative and time to try and put things back on an even keel - we the Officers of the CSA owe you a large Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:40 am 

<SALUTE>
General

I echo the same sentiments...
Its very obvious you not only spent a lot of time and effort into this endeavor but you can also see the affection you have for not only this club but also for this Army.
Thank You!

I concur ..... I think its a great plan and I support you 100%... I am at your disposal Sir.

I Corp
Army of Tennessee

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:11 am 

Good work General McOmish Sir (salute)!

I support the proposal and am at your disposal wherever required.

Your obedient servant.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:18 pm 

General McOmish you are to be commended for a well conceived plan, I support it 100% and stand ready to lend any assistance necessary.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:31 am 

Gen. McOmish,

I want to thank you for taking on this task of re-organization. I think it will be a great boost to the Southern armies.

I would like to urge you to consider using historical names for the corps, divisions and brigades. I think this would give a real southern flavor to our re-organization. I assume we will need numerical designations for the records department but these could be used in conjunction with the historical names of the commands. Besides we don't want to look like those dam Yankees.

I would also urge the naming of the western army to be The Army of Tennessee.

Sincerely,

Army of Tennesssee

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:22 pm 

I like the idea Tom, only concern is I think you could only get it down to the division level due to there being many various commands that are the same at different times, places & in different spots during the war. Though having only two armies could free up some of those multiple use commands.

Also folks do like naming their own things. Some guys bring a little bit of culture & heritage to it.

Of course a vote of each Corps or Division could allow folks to decide on their own.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:51 pm 

Hello Scott,

Thank you for your thoughts but I don't see a big problem of setting up an army organization that is pretty close to being historically accurate. We don't have to be perfect in every detail.

In the case of the ANV we could choose the ANV oob at Fredricksburg with modifications. You have the 2 Corps Jackson's and Longstreet's plus Stewart's Cavalry division where individuals would command cavalry regiments or simply expand Stewart's division to the Corps organization of 3 divisions of 1864. Also I can't see why we can't use historical brigade commands. Who wouldn't want to command the Stonewall Brigade.

For the Army of Tennessee we might want to do a bit of juxtaposing of commanders but it leads to to a natural 2 infantry and 1 cavalry corps organization. We could choose division commanders from several time periods.

Another advantage to using historically true commands is the added espirit de corps gained from commanding historical units. Who wouldn't want to command A.P. Hill's Light Division, Hood's Division or Cleburne's Division with it's Hardee flags.

Also there are many brigades of troops made up regiments all from one state. I would think there would be great interest from some members to lead troops from their home states. Further I think it would motivate members to study their unit's history and historical commanders.

Finally, if commander's want to add nick names to their commands so be it.

In conclusion the idea is to look like an historical army and to honor the heroes of the Southern armies.

P.S. Scott ,I know you are a member of the NWC. I think the model for the re-organization of our armies is the job Chuck Jensen did with the French armies. It was most excellent.

Yours respectfully,

Army of Tennesssee

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:53 pm 

Not arguing against it, I think what I was alluding to was there might not be enough historical commands to go around. All depends on how the transition goes and how many officers are left after it. We could be looking at divisions stacked with 7-8 brigades in them, each. Also you have to factor for any future potential growth and finding a historic based command for them.

Of course that's not to say you can't pull from other armies from other parts of the war and attach them to the OOB. That is a possible solution to any shortage issue.

Check Jensen's plan for the French at the NWC was a good one, it lacks the use of the foreign nationals though, which could of been a potential recruitment tool for getting members to join. At the old iNWC I ran, we had a lot of Italian & Poles in our French Army in those historic Corps. Still Chuck did a good job. But I digress.

I think whoever becomes the new CoA should put it to a vote of the membership at large, then that way folks can have their say.

I like the idea, all you got to do is look at the division I run, Hill's Light Divison:

http://www.wargame.ch/wc/acw/sub/vmi/AN ... _Light_Div

:mrgreen:

I also used historical images when I ran the Western Theater, though slightly ahistorical, it was fun:

http://www.wargame.ch/wc/acw/sub/vmi/CS ... rn_Theater

8) :mrgreen:

I think we'll have to see what the results are of who is left and then can examine if it is feasible.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:22 pm 

Hello Scott,

I really like the way you have setup your Light Division site. I would still push for using historical brigade names though. Nice job!

Now as for expanding historical commands we could easily organize both armies to 3 infantry corps plus 1 cavalry corp each. We could also attach corps artillery reserve commands with several artillery battalions included. Additionally we could attach a Forest's cavalry command to the AoT and activate Breckenridge's Corp from 1864 to the ANV plus their are numerous Chief of staff post that could be created at army and corp level.

I guess in the end we will need to conduct a head count of all southern officers who will be taking part in our new army organization so we can have a number to work with.

If you need any help I will be glad to be of assistance.

Yours,

Army of Tennesssee

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:04 pm 

The reason why I did states is because folks have an affinity to their states too. One guy wanted a South Carolina styled brigade, so I went with states. The war is about State's Rights after all. :mrgreen:

I think Andersen's IV Corps would suit the ANV more. Depends on how the other Corps' get setup.

I think whoever becomes CoA should run two polls. First one to see how many folks would be interested in such a setup. If they are, overwhelmingly interested, then go ahead and do it. If it is rejected or not a huge margin of favor, then run a second poll to see if folks would like to let individual Divisions or full Corps' do so and then there might be a need to reshuffle folks based on their preference. It'll allow both parties to have their way, if there isn't a massive support for the idea.

The reason I would prefer to see it done via a vote system first is, unlike the NWC, the units here, some of them have their own traditions, going all the way back to the beginning of the Club, some of them. People have their own identities for their units and some are quite proud of them. I am sure most wouldn't mind a historical based OOB. But I also don't want to take away from traditions already set in this Club. Which is why I think a vote, would be a good idea. The idea would be implemented regardless, it would be the size & scope of it that would be determiend by the vote.

This is a good discussion and I hope more people would chime in too. This is our army folks & the future of it is up to you all. :D

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]