American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Fri May 24, 2024 11:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: WAKE UP CALL!
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:52 am 
Wow.... thats all I can even say.... The AotM cordially invites you to visit anytime Generals Weir and Meyer.

Most amusing.... :D

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:39 am 

General Meyer . . . I coudn't help but overhearing . . . . . Please excuse Me for butting in!

Way out in the backwaters, I was serving in the AoG and rumours filtered through to my Command of the "The Red Drawers Affair".

Would You be so kind as to fill in a couple of gaps in my understanding of that deplorable episode?

Did You ever determine just why Sergeant Buckmaster wore those Red Drawers?

And why did he insist on being called 'Millicent' in private and Off Duty?

Also I would be grateful if You refrain from explaining - if You know the answer of course! - the penchant Sergeant Buckmaster had for wearing a bustiére on Parade.

I have a strong stomach when it comes to drink, ugly Wimmin and bad food . . . but there is only soooooo much a Body can stand when it comes to pecadilloes!!!
:? :shock: :roll: :oops: :mrgreen:

I thank You Suh!

Pat.

AoG

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:03 pm 

Why, General Carroll! Sit down here and join us! I believe that we've more than enough lobster salad and crackers to go around, and General Weir's pockets are deep this day for the drinks, although I suppose that I ought to support the flailing worth of those CSA banknotes with a little Yankee gold.

Much of what you may have heard about the "Red Drawers Affair," of course, has become distorted, twisted and blown out of proportion; but I will attempt to provide you with the actual events as I recall them. Forgive me if I get carried away in the telling of it, as some of what I'm about to relate still rankles and disturbs me.

(Ah, General Weir, you've a bit of lobster and crumbs hanging there on your beard...yes, that's it, good, you've gotten it!)

I had just returned from the very debilitating CSA Western Theater Training Course held this past July in Baton Rouge (see http://www.unioneaglesonline.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=230) and sponsored by Col. Stiles and General McOmish. I cannot really tell you, here, how immensely satisfying I found that particular experience; but suffice it to say that I was genuinely impressed with the organization of the thing! In fact, I was so impressed and taken with the memory of it that I failed to correctly realize the oddities associated with the arrival of the Michigan Women's Sanitary Commission into the AotT's camp!

We had not actually endured any recent severe actions nor had the army moved much prior to the Western Thunder Tournament; but here the women were, bustling about setting up hospital tents, unloading medicinal supplies from their wagons and generally creating quite a display of themselves as they did so! Not quite a few officers of our army were just standing about, taking it all in and completely disregarding their duties. I was more concerned with re-establishing proper discipline that with the reason for the Commission's visit!

Sergeant Buckmaster appeared to be the only one then present who seemed to understand the whole situation, so I naturally called him immediately over and instructed him first get the men back to their duties and to then report to me in my tent afterwards.

(It is good brandy, is it not! It sort of compliments to salt on the crackers, doesn't it?!)

Where was I?...Oh, yes! Sergeant Buckmaster! Through no fault of his own, "Millicent" was his given Christian name! Back in 1818 such things were not uncommon among the Monticlifians, an avant-guarde, splinter group of spiritual purists who were both abnormally obsessed with sugar cane and completely matriarchal in their organization. Many male children were routinely given the names of their grandmothers, a practice that eventually led to their almost total extermination by the Algonquin Indians, who became sorely disappointed in their raiding attempts to acquire slave-brides among their white neighbors. Some say that the French played a sorry role in all of that, but the facts are that young Buckmaster was one of the few survivors of the final attack. For many years thereafter, the Algonquins suffered from bad teeth!

He acquired his Buckmaster surname from the pioneers that adopted him, quickly learning to respond to the given name of Elwood. One can only imagine the horrible chiding he received over that name in the following school years and the many fistfights he was presented with in that rustic environment. Probably as a result of that, more than anything else, he kept his original given name close to his heart, revealing it only to those in his later life in whom he had complete trust. And that, gentlemen, is precisely what led to the "infamous" red drawers and his wearing of them on that salacious occasion.

(Oh, I see that Captain Sweeny is motioning to me just now! If you will excuse me, I will be back shortly!)

Commander, Army of the Tennessee
(2011-2014 UA CoA/GinC)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:07 am 

Why General Meyers, you do have a way with the telling of a tale, most enjoyable suh...most enjoyable indeed.

I must say though, had young Buckmaster been serving in one of our Southern armies he most likely would have spent several days riding a wooden mule. Such a ride will often clear a man's thoughts and instill a renewed sense of duty.

Not that we southerners have anything against mingling with the fairer sex during a time of war, but one must be discreet in such affairs, much as all is fair in love and war, I have found it most appropriate to......

[What's that lieutenant....I'm needed back east at once]

Ah... gentlemen this has been a delightful evening, good drink, good food and most importantly the company of good friends, but duty calls and I must bid you all ado, perhaps we can take this up back in one of the eastern taverns in the near future.

Gen. Meyer at your pleasure contact my office at the CSAMW and we can discuss the ribbon/medal issue you mentioned earlier.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2