American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 11:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:36 pm 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by krmiller</i>
His idea of units that use road movement not being allowed to melee probably makes more sense. However it does produce a problem as there is no way for a unit to move along a road without using road movement even if it has enough MP to make the move without it.

Gen. Ken Miller
Army of the Shenandoah
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Actually it can be implemented by just having the player figure the cost of entering the terrain without road bonus and track the movement costs manually like we would if everthing was done on a card board map. But it is pretty much a trust system because the other player may not be able to see the movement to confirm it. Also, interpreting some of the more complex hex, elevation and hexside effects can be difficult.

Although it would be nice if HPS added a third formation that couldn't use road rate but could cross a bridge and take all combat ability away from the road column.[:D]

LG. Kennon Whitehead
Chatham Grays
III Corps, AoM (CSA)

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:10 pm 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by krmiller</i>
<br />General Whitehead has done an excellent job of covering the topic.

One House Rule I have used is that melee in column is allowed at bridge crossings where that is the only way to move....

Gen. Ken Miller

Army of the Shenandoah
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I had begun to respond again to this bridge business yesterday when all of a sudden my UPS battery power came on so I quick copied the text I was working on to WORD...so since I wrote it I thought I would send today...I hope I am not making too big a thing of this, but the implications of bridges...moving across them, the enemy blowing them up, repairing them, et.al. is all new to me and I am bound to chip my teeth one day over bridges in one of these huge campaign maps.

<font color="red">Written and not sent yesterday:</font id="red">
<b>Mr. Miller, Sir! That makes good sense to me i.e. in a scenario with bridges. And like other house rules, until all scenario maps are familiar enough the players would have to inspect them to find such bridges and come to an agreement. I don't know if it is an issue in Campaign GB or not but I know my opponent in that DOES NOT like meleeing in anything but line. I will direct him to this post just in case we were to encounter bridges. I should think that there must be some bridges on the maps of the Full Campaign. I don't know that there are or are not because thus far I have neither looked for any nor encountered any. The irony of this self-admission is that I was just reading the War College article on "Battlefield Intelligence" so you can be sure I will be examining the C GB maps more closely.

Thanks.</b>

So that being said, and since I am only just back online, I will so "reconnoiter" the big maps for the location of possible pesky bridges this very evening...thanks as always. I learn an awfully lot from you fellows and I am glad you have patience with me.

LtCol.Tom Ciampa
2nd Bgde,1st Cav
XIV Corps, AoC

Profile Send private message