American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Fri May 24, 2024 12:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Supply sources
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:40 am 

Gentlemen,

I have a question: is there a way to capture an enemy supply source?

In one of my games, I am standing on an enemy supply source, but the propriety rights don't seem to change to the new owner.

Regards

Col Welleman

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:32 am 

Hi, Colonel,

All supply sources are good for is to prevent isolation. After a lifetime of study I have come to believe that isolation is inappropriate for the short duration battles we have and no longer use it, thereby rendering the supply source redundant. But if you use the isolation rule, I believe you are right. There is no way to change the allegiance of a supply source that I can recall short of the scenario editor.

MG Mike Mihalik
1/III/AoMiss/CSA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:01 am 

General,

I am not sure I follow you at all, or let's say I am sure I don't follow you at all.

What do you mean by your comment that it prevents isolation? That you can not isolate and overrun an enemy unit that holds the supply source?

And the supply source I am standing on has VPs, so you mean that even when captured, those VPs remain in Union hands?

Regards

Col Jan Welleman
2nd Bgd, 2nd Div, AoA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:50 am 

Hi, Colonel,

Supply source was an innovation introduced in Corinth, so that if the Rebs surrounded Corrinth the whole garrison wouldn't be isolated. As long as a Union unit can trace a path free of Reb units or zoc back to the supply source or a board edge, they aren't isolated.

VPs and supply sources are separate. If the supply source is in an objective hex, you get the victory points. But the two don't necessarily go together. You can have a supply source that isn't on an objective hex, and in such a case capturing the supply source wouldn't get you points.

Hope that clarifies what I was trying to say.

MG Mike Mihalik
1/III/AoMiss/CSA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:12 am 

Thanks, General, that explains a lot

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:20 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by mihalik</i>
<br />Hi, Colonel,

All supply sources are good for is to prevent isolation. After a lifetime of study I have come to believe that isolation is inappropriate for the short duration battles we have and no longer use it, thereby rendering the supply source redundant. But if you use the isolation rule, I believe you are right. There is no way to change the allegiance of a supply source that I can recall short of the scenario editor.

MG Mike Mihalik
1/III/AoMiss/CSA
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I believe within the HPS game terms "isolation" isn't a lack of supply. The tracing of a line back to a supply source is just a mechanism for determining if a unit is cut off from the rest of their forces and would tend to surrender. It's function is to give a player a way to detroy orphaned units that get behind their lines without having to commit a whole brigade to surrounding it. It also forces a player to maintain continuous lines and not have detached units acting like they have radios wandering around the enemy's rear. Unfortunately its implementation is somewhat simplistic which leads to units being isolated that shouldn't be.

LG. Kennon Whitehead
Chatham Grays
1/1/III AoM (CSA)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:44 pm 

Supply hexes were introduced into Tiller's engine to help any scenario where a defender is in a fort. Otherwise by doing what they should do, stay in the fort while the enemy surrounds them, they would suffer from isolation effects. (This really was needed in the EAW series The French and Indian War CD.)

They are set in the scenario editor, and can't be changed during a battle. They have no VP value, but quite often a supply hex and an objective hex share the same location.

MajGen Al 'Ambushed' Amos

The Union Forever! Huzzah!