American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Fri May 24, 2024 6:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:24 am 

I just completed a 7 Days battle in the Peninsula during which I ended up with a slew of supply wagons with low supply levels that made them useless, yet i had to keep them from being captured. There was a cache of "fixed supply wagons"with 600 supply pts in each some distance behind the lines. I had hoped these were "milch cows" where I could re-supply these wagons but I found out it didn't happen when I brought them to adjacent hexes. Is thee any way in which supply wagons can be re-filled?

BG Drex Ringbloom,
Cdr,2nd Div,VIII Corp
Army of the Shenandoah

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:32 am 

Hi,

Not that I know of. We have discussed partial resupply and combining depleted supply wagons in a previous thread, but unless and until the HPS folks take an interest, there will be no improvement in the supply system. At least in the Peninsula you usually have enough ammo to finish the battle.

MG Mike Mihalik
1/III/AoMiss/CSA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:37 am 

Nice post, Drex! I too have often wished for a better logistical capability, something that's been discussed within this forum previously. However, there seem to be so many specific and different issues raised that the whole thing tends to become overloaded and confused. Maybe we can all work in this post to once again itemized these things for the record; in other words, have everyone submit their specific ideas for change or addition to the supply capabilities. I'll be glad to keep track of and summarize the list for HPS.

Your suggestion of "Milch Cow" wagons being able to re-supply field wagons is excellent!

I for one would like to see the supply wagon speed and movement capabilities made standard for all games!

Anyone else?

Maj. Gen. Jos. C. Meyer
Second Division, 14th Corps,
Army of the Cumberland

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:33 am 

I think the idea of refilling a supply wagon would make these games much more interesting. Tactical logistics was a prime consideration during the ACW and campaigns depended on them. I realize that all game situations would not qualify for wagon re-supply due to the nature of constant movement, (Gettysburg for the Rebels being one)but consider that the game designers added to some scenarios a supply source with them as an objective. Contests like these and those with a secure rail-head should have included into them however re-supply capability, even if it helped the Rebels sometimes.

Gen Dave Danner
2nd Brigade, 2nd Division, XX Corps
Army of the Cumberland

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:59 am 

In large battles(7 Days is 407 turns!) you end up with useless wagons that must be moved out of harms way. In the battle I spoke of the Fixed Supply Wagons were so far back that I could never use them.I'm sure the reasons must be good for not doing something about it and as has been said before, it isn't appropriate for all battles. Its not a gamebreaker for me.

BG Drex Ringbloom,
Cdr,2nd Div,VIII Corp
Army of the Shenandoah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:25 am 
http://www.wargame.ch/board/acw/topic.a ... ply,wagons Vote: Supply procedure as is, or change preferred?

Back in January, I started the above thread with a request that members vote on what they would like to see in supply/resupply changes. Four of 17 voted to keep the supply system as is.

It was a followup to a previous post: Supply Problems While Seeking Realism
http://www.wargame.ch/board/acw/topic.a ... C_ID=13204
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">The logical programming strategy would be to pattern supply assignment the same way we presently do ranged fire. Left click on the supply wagon, then right click on the targeted combat unit. No need to reinvent the wheel.
Or <font color="yellow">we could assign supply melee style</font id="yellow"> which would allow consolidating several low ammo wagons to resupply a large unit. Just left click on the wagon and drag it to the low ammo unit.
That would also allow us to preferentially direct supply resources to a strong corps or division and avoid the automatic supplying of a weaker, heavily fatigued force.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Discussions of the deficiencies of the supply system have been going on for years and I admit that I have often been the instigator.

At present, our best option is to go to the editor function and add more wagons to the scenario. There is no way to get useless small factor wagons out of the way other than run them out of the area, shoot them, or present them to the enemy for capture or annihilation by soaking up some of his automatic defensive fire...all options that suck for realism!

However, I prefer to take the attitude that "my glass is half full," rather than half empty and I will use the game editor to create more wagons as necessary until a game designer makes the requested changes in the game engine.
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I ended up with a slew of supply wagons with low supply levels that made them useless, yet i had to keep them from being captured. There was a cache of "fixed supply wagons"with 600 supply pts in each some distance behind the lines. I had hoped these were "milch cows" where I could re-supply these wagons but I found out it didn't happen when I brought them to adjacent hexes.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">I suggest that you might use the game editor to delete those wagons too distant to use in the battle, then schedule them to arrive at your resupply hex at some reasonable interval in play.

BG Ross McDaniel
2nd Bde, 3rd Div, III Corps, AoG, CSA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:09 am 

Thanks for bringing me up to speed Ross. Unfortunately I wasn't around when this matter was discussed. However its not a big issue and the game isn't diminished in any way.

BG Drex Ringbloom,
Cdr,2nd Div,VIII Corp
Army of the Shenandoah