American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Fri May 24, 2024 2:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 6:07 am 

http://www.brettschulte.net/ACWBooks/southcarolina.htm

<i>Secessionville: Assault on Charleston</i>. Patrick Brennan. Savas Publishing Company (1996). 394 pp. 23 maps.

This is a review and summary of Patrick Brennan’s <i>Secessionville: Assault on Charleston</i>. <i>Secessionville</i> is a detailed battle history focusing on the James Island Campaign of June 1862 and the resulting Battle of Secessionville on June 16, 1862. The author is not a professional historian. Instead, I was interested to learn, he is a musician by trade. Do not let this fool you as far as his qualifications for writing this book go. John S. Petersen’s Foreword makes it abundantly clear that Patrick Brennan is an avid student of the Civil War and has been for a long, long time. Union Generals David Hunter and Henry Benham landed on James Island just south of Charleston in early June 1862. After a period of fortifying their camps, the Union forces attacked the advanced left flank of the Southern line at the Tower Battery. Unfortunately for them, Henry Benham was not much of a leader, and the attacks failed after several hours. The author asserts that the Battle of Secessionville was important far beyond its small size. He believes Charleston would have fallen had the Tower Battery been taken on June 16. Brennan also points out that with Charleston as a base in 1862, vast inroads could have been made into the Carolina interior. Brennan also points out that the two Generals in charge, Henry Benham and John Pemberton, were removed not long after the operation took place. The book contains 394 pages and 23 maps, and as usual with a tactical history there are many endnotes and an impressive bibliography.

In late 1861, the Union had taken Fort Pulaski near Savannah, Georgia, and they had landed at Port Royal and Beaufort along the Carolina coast. By the summer of 1862, General David Hunter and his Army of the South were looking to establish a way to attack Charleston, South Carolina with the help of Admiral Du Pont’s Southeast Atlantic Blockading Squadron. Hunter and his subordinate Henry Benham landed two Federal Divisions under Isaac Stevens and Horatio Wright Battery Island, Sol Legare Island, and James Island, just south of Charleston, in early June 1862. They spent the first half of June establishing and fortifying camps on Sol Legare and Battery Islands, separated from James Island by swamp. As the Union troops expanded their encampments, several sharp skirmishes took place. In the interim, David Hunter departed for Hilton Head and left Benham strict instructions not to attack.

Through some rules lawyering, Benham interpreted an attack on Tower Battery as a way to “secureâ€

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 4:10 pm 
Us musicians can make for competent fellows, in general (when there isn't booze around... not that I'm a drinker, but I have a lot of musician friends who spend as much time practicing with a bottle as they do with their instruments...)

Thanks for the nice review, as always.

Have you read <u>Gate of Hell: Campaign for Charleston Harbor, 1863 </u>by Stephen R. Wise? I enjoyed it as well. It doesn't cover Secessionville since it focuses on 1863, but a good account of that year, especially the episodes involving Battery Wagner.

Regards,
Lt. Col. Alan Lynn
3rd Battery "Jacksonville Greys"
4th Div, II Corps, AoA
God bless <><

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 12:30 am 

Alan,

Gate of Hell is definitely on my wish list. I'm hoping to pick that up some time in the next few months. There's also a book that focuses on the Fort Wagner fight that I'm looking into, but the exact name escapes me at the moment.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ALynn</i>
<br />Us musicians can make for competent fellows, in general (when there isn't booze around... not that I'm a drinker, but I have a lot of musician friends who spend as much time practicing with a bottle as they do with their instruments...)

Thanks for the nice review, as always.

Have you read <u>Gate of Hell: Campaign for Charleston Harbor, 1863 </u>by Stephen R. Wise? I enjoyed it as well. It doesn't cover Secessionville since it focuses on 1863, but a good account of that year, especially the episodes involving Battery Wagner.

Regards,
Lt. Col. Alan Lynn
3rd Battery "Jacksonville Greys"
4th Div, II Corps, AoA
God bless <><

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

-Brett Schulte
HPS Playtester

ACW Campaign Games Design Center:
http://www.brettschulte.net/ACWCGDC/index.html

My Civil War Book Collection:
http://www.brettschulte.net/ACWBooks/