American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Jun 06, 2024 1:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:07 pm 

No reports for the moment. In a few days, the 1st HACW will celebrate is first year. This war has started July 1st 2005.

The score is:

<font color="beige">CSA 1154</font id="beige">
<font color="blue">USA 1414</font id="blue">

Lt. Col. Harold Lajoie 3/2/I/AoM, CSA.

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:50 am 

CS LG Tony Hill reported a Confederate Major Victory at the Battle of Murfreesboro !!! 156 points for the Rebels... [:p]

The score is:

<font color="beige">CSA 1310</font id="beige">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:23 am 

CS LG Tony Hill has received the CSA 1stHACW Veterans Medal for his 100th turn of play in the tournament.

Congratulations Sir.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:47 pm 

No final reports to signal in the tournament. Please, don't forget to report your games as soon as they are completed. Thank you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:43 pm 

Three scenarios of Spring 1862 to be completed...

I would like to have reports for Dunagin's Farm, Valverde and Glorieta Pass if possible.

Thank you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:58 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Harold Lajoie</i>
<br />Three scenarios of Spring 1862 to be completed...

I would like to have reports for Dunagin's Farm, Valverde and Glorieta Pass if possible.

Thank you.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Harold, are these old battles or have you started the cycle again?

Major General Don Golen

1st Division/ V Corps/Army of the Potomac, Union!
Assistant Commandant Union War College

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:18 am 
they're old battles. He's just trying to tie up loose ends I think. If you click on his links you'll see these are the oldest of the still unfinished ones... a number of them seem to have some of the same players?

MajGen, 2/VIII/AoS
"Beer! It's not just for breakfast anymore!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:09 pm 

Yes, these old games should be over now but the players had some delays. We must finish the 1st War before starting the 2nd...

I will consider setting a time limit for the future tournament, but I don't like to put pressure on the players.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:07 am 

Location: Mukilteo, Washington, USA - 25 miles north of Seattle
<font face="Andale Mono"><font size="4"><font color="pink">Colonel Lajoie Suh! <salute>

Harold, I think I can speak for the majority of the Club members when I say you have done an unbelievable job on this Tournament! Although I tend to be in agreement with you on wrapping up the 1st tournament I also know that the members would love to get started on the 2nd one with the addition of some of the newer battles! Just take a look at the threads of both postings! It is hard to believe that you started it over 13 months ago, where does the time go?

Again, my hat is off to you Suh for a great Job!

Respectfully,

</font id="pink"></font id="size4"></font id="Andale Mono">

<font color="pink"><font size="4">Nick Kunz</font id="size4">
[img]C:\FrontPage%20Webs\Content\library\vol_1\v1p2_files\CsaGenStaffB.gif[/img]
<font size="4">General
Commandant
Confederate States of America</font id="size4"></font id="pink">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:15 pm 

General Kunz,
thank you for the compliments, it is appreciated.

The war continue... No reports from the various battlefields for the moment.

We have a few games that seem to be stopped and this could be problematic.

I'm already thinking about the next tournament and there is a good possibility that the participants will be limited to only one battle at a time. This could minimizes major slowdowns.

I must also find a more practical way to deal with unfinished or really slow games. I don't like the push the players to finish their battles. Maybe setting a time limit and take the battle result when the time is over could be an idea.

If anyone have interesting suggestions, they are welcome.

The score for the 1st HACW:
<font color="beige">CSA 1310</font id="beige">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:50 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Harold Lajoie</i>
<br />I must also find a more practical way to deal with unfinished or really slow games. I don't like the push the players to finish their battles. Maybe setting a time limit and take the battle result when the time is over could be an idea.

If anyone have interesting suggestions, they are welcome.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Firing squads work very well!!![:p]

<b><font color="gold">Ernie Sands
General, Commanding, Army of Ohio
ACWGC Cabinet member
</b></font id="gold">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:50 pm 

CS Colonel Robert Hinkle have reported a Minor Confederate Victory at Brice's Cross Roads. This will add 9 points to the Rebels and 3 points to the Yankees.

updated score:
<font color="beige">CSA 1319</font id="beige">
<font color="blue">USA 1417</font id="blue">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:39 pm 

Dear Lt. Col. Harold Lajoie 3/2/I/AoM, CSA.,

The Battle of Resaca is presently at Turn 23. The battle was one of the last battles to start and summer has not help to speed up the game. Just wanted to let you know the status.....

Colonel R.E.Daley
1st Corps of the ANV
3rd Calvary Divsion,
3rd Brigade
"We are the Midnight Riders"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:57 pm 

Well, I have many toughts about the next tournament and how to manage it more efficiently. I'm learning a lot with the 1st HACW, this is really a great experience for me. It was really the "fog of war" when I started this project. How long it could take to complete all the battles ? How many players may participate ? What to do if a game is not finished ? etc... Now I have some answers, and I will try to use them for the next HACW.

First of all, the registration system worked really well.
The majority of the battles didn't stay too long in the "open" status. Minor changes may be applied; I'm thinking of limiting the players to one or two games in play at a time. This way, more players will participate and the damages will be minimum if, for any reason, a player can't finish his game(s).
Imposing a minimum rank system to play larger battles is also in consideration. This could eliminate some unbalanced games where a green Field Lieutenant is totally destroyed by an experienced Major General in a key battle. This system will give more importance to the rank of the players, rewarding the veterans by assigning them to the major battles of the tournament. By example, small battles could be opened for everyone; medium battles to Lt. Colonels and higher; largers battles to Lt. Generals and higher.

The second phase, the termination of (hopefully) all the battles, is tougher. The rules imposing a minimum of 3 turns/week is not and realistically could not always be respected. Players are humans and problems are inevitable. Setting a time limit for each battle may be an interesting idea. Games not ended at this time could simply be cancelled, but players might be allowed to ask for a prolongation if this extension would not delay the end of the tournament. With this rule, your humble servant will not have the play the policeman anymore and no more pushing in the back of the slow players. [;)]
The substitution rule (for players unable or unwilling to finish a battle) was used two times so far; we may conserve this option. As the recuperation of the player's file and password is not always possible, another option must be considered. The game could be restarted from scratch if the tournament is not too advanced and there is time to play a new game; or the opponent may received the major victory by default, simplier but maybe unfair. Some reflexions are needed on this topic...

Finally, the fog is dissipating and I could now say that the HACW tournament can be a bi-annual event. It is clear that all the battles could be completed in a little less than two years.

Your comments, suggestions and encouragements are always welcome.
To the actual and future participants, without you, this tournament could not be succesful. When I see all the names on the Battlefields section of the 1st HACW, I feel really good and this is a great reward. Thank you all and now, stop reading this and GO FINISH YOUR GAME !!! [:p]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:30 pm 

Location: Mukilteo, Washington, USA - 25 miles north of Seattle
<font face="Andale Mono"><font size="4"><font color="pink">Colonel Lajorie Suh! <salute>

Harold, great thoughts on this the first of hopefully many <b><u><font color="beige">HACW Tournaments</font id="beige"></u></b>! Thru out the course of the tournament I heard from any number of participants who claimed the tournament sparked their interest back in the Club! This is a very important tool for the Club and it's members, something to be connected to and by! Again Harold, I can't say it enough, <b><font color="beige">GREAT JOB!</font id="beige"></b>

Okay then, here is a couple of thoughts. I agree with the limit as to the number of current battles each participant can have. I would go further and say that <b><font color="beige">ONE BATTLE AT A TIME!</font id="beige"></b> This would solve a lot of the problems with uncompleted games! You want to play more battles, finish up your current tournament battle first!

I also agree somewhat on the level of rank for certain battles. The poor Fld Lt who took on General Wolken at Gettysburg was soo embaressed that he is no longer in the Club! My only change to your suggestion would be to lower the major battles to <b><font color="beige">Major Generals and up</font id="beige"></b>. Many Club members can't achieve rank higher than Major General because of their command position.

Harold, your proposed rule changes sound great to me! You don't like em, you don't have to participate, but knowing the Club members that will not stop them from gaming. Tournaments are not an easy task to manage and you have done a once again <font color="beige">a Terrific Job!</font id="beige">

For what it is worth, that is my two cents!

Respectfully,

</font id="pink"></font id="size4"></font id="Andale Mono">

<font color="pink">Nick Kunz
[img]C:\FrontPage%20Webs\Content\library\vol_1\v1p2_files\CsaGenStaffB.gif[/img]
General
Commandant
Confederate States of America</font id="pink">

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next