American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 5:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Is Shiloh a flawed Disk?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 1:26 am 

I have played the Shiloh Campaign Disk through once, and am currently involved in another email game presently. I have also heard from club members that the same anomaly came up in their games. If this is so isn't this a rather serious flaw? At least to the point of making the final battle of Shiloh useless as a simulation.

I realize that strategic choices should, and do have an impact on the final disposition of the Union forcs at the battle. But the flaw that I will describe seems completely senseless.

The flaw is that in the final Battle of Shiloh ALL Union units are frozen and remain frozen until fired upon. Not one single unit released? Isn't this rather ridiculous. It certainly ruined a fairly decent campaign in the sense that what glory is there in defeating your opponent when he can't move all of his men?

This particular version of the battle had the rebels pushing the Union army right back to the Tennesse River and actually preventing the crossing of Buell's army. OK, a possibility to be sure but what sense is there in having the entire Union army frozen as it is destroyed.

Has this come up for anyone else?

Another flaw I found was in the Confederate options. As it turned out it didn't have any effect on the game but it was curious nonetheless. In the Fort Donelson scenario I managed to escape off of the board a good portion of Forrest's cavalry. Much to my joy I found them available for the Battle of Shiloh.

But, much to my chagrin they frozen for the entire battle! Was the point of having them there then? And certainly a commander like Forrest was not the kind of individual who was going to remain idle while his compatriots fought the enemy only yards away.

Another small "anomaly" we discovered in the "Belmont" scenario. Did you know that the Union gunboats can merely crawl down the river bank of the Mississippi River and engage the Confederate Bluff batteries without being able to be hit? Really nice.

Anyway, I thought I would throw this out into the Tavern to see what other people have encountered. I sure hope this campaign doesn't turn out like the other one. Heck, if the entire Union army is going to be frozen, I might as well play the AI.

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:30 am 

Have you updated to the latest patch?

If so, there is another update pending. It should be released in a few weeks.

Rich

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:50 am 

Hey Rich,

Will the Update fix the problem of Fixed Union units until fired on. I am at Fort Donelson and will be at the battle of Shiloh Shortly. I would hate to run into this problem on my First Shiloh Campaign. I am running Version 1.02 (the lastest patch at the HPS Site). When will the Correction patch be released? 1.03?

Lt Gen Jospeh C. Mishurda

ImageImage

Lt General Joseph C. Mishurda,
"Killer Angels"
XXV Corps, AoJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 6:06 am 

Gents,

If this is the same one I found the problem was the campaign scenarios, #172 and # 173 start a day early on Apr 5 but the union forces don't release until Apr 6. I found this flaw last year right after the 1.02 patch and posted a notice at the ACG-SZO Forums where I got a reply from Rich Walker.

Ken,

My apologies, I corrected the mistake in the stand alone scns and "Thought" I also corrected the campaign files. But I missed that needed correction. Is there any chance you saved your previous files before that particular scn was chosen in your campaign. Regardless, you shouldn't have to suffer a defeat due to a designing error.

I'll correct the problem immediately, but I'm not sure when it can be released. Can I special email you the corrected files??

Rich

Fortunately I still had the files and my opponent and I backed up to the start of the Shiloh battle after putting in the corrected files and everything worked out ok with my union forces releasing at varuious times on Apr 5. We're just starting the second day , it's still a tough fight for the yanks but at least you have a chance.

If this is the problem you can wait for the latest update, Rich assured me it would be taken care of then. Or I suppose you could contact Rich and see if he has the file to send you or drop me a line and I can send you the corrected scn files he sent me. First though I would suggest you find out if this is the file you're playing. If you don't know how to do determine the scn file in use send me the .cpf file and I'll let you know.

Gen. Ken Miller

Army of the Shenandoah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:37 pm 

John has finally given the OK to release the patch I gave him months ago. I believe everything should be OK. If you need the files now, just email me at richardw@multipro.com

Rich

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 1:25 pm 

Dear Rich Walker,

Thank you for your willingness to help. I emailed you requesting the files for my current campaign in progress. If you do not recieve the email let me know.

File has been recieved. Thank You!

Lt Gen Joseph C. Mishurda

ImageImage

Lt General Joseph C. Mishurda,
"Killer Angels"
XXV Corps, AoJ