American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 7:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Scenario victory list
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:43 pm 
Sirs,
Many years ago, we had a document that listed all the completed game scenarios along with the victor and level of victory for each completed scenario. One could use this document to judge the balance on each game, ie., if the game had been played 62 times by club members, and the yanks had 51 major victories, this might be a scenario to shy away from as a Son of Dixie. Does this document still exist? If so, where may I find it?

Fld. Lt. J. K. Wilson
AotM (unassigned)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:05 pm 

Location: Mukilteo, Washington, USA - 25 miles north of Seattle
<font face="Andale Mono"><font size="4">Lt Wilson! <salute>

Jay, what you are looking for is located at the Home page under Express Links, from there you will find Scenario Listings! Unfortunately the list hasn't been updated since 2004. But it should give you an idea of what you are looking for!

Regards,

</font id="size4"></font id="Andale Mono">

<font color="orange"><font size="4">Nick Kunz
General
Commandant
Confederate States of America</font id="orange"></font id="size4">

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:12 am 

The Master List of Games disappeared with the demise of the old club record system in 2004 so the Scenario Listings only cover the TS games for a few years up to July 2004.

The HPS games are not organized in such a manner to make tracking them easy. There are so many scenarios and it is difficult to determine which one is being played in a campaign. Most of the time, I can narrow down what scenario that I'm playing in a campaign to two or three but I'm guessing when I turn in a New Game report. The campaign scenarios also aren't named but are 'somewhat' numbered. That kind of information (won-lost records by scenario) also isn't easily available anymore to us club members.

I'm kinda glad that the capability doesn't exist anymore. Mark Nelms used to say that it took no time at all for him to produce the Master List of Games each month but you won't get the same story out of me for transferring that information to the Scenario Listings format. It was a labor of love but still a pain in the rump to update the Scenario Listings each month.

Maj Gen Ned Simms
VI/AoS/USA
Blood 'n Guts hisself, a land lovin' pirate. Show me some arty tubes and we'll charge 'em.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:35 am 

Perhaps the tradition could be revived in the New Year, if only for the stand-alone battles rather than all the campaign battles too?

It'll provide the sort of statistics that will help players select which scenarios to play next if they can see which ones are likely to be fairly evenly balanced. Also this will help less experienced players when facing veteran opponents. Besides, some folk might fancy a challenge to see if they can win an almost <i>unwinnable</i> battle.

Brig. Gen. Rich White
3 Brig. Phantom Cav Div
III Corps ANV

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:23 am 
I think that a statistical record system which would give the balance of a scenario would be good, but taken to its logical conclusion a handicap/rating system for players would have just as much benefit to the players.

That however could be a slippery slope:-

A rating system might mean that as a player improves he would find it harder and harder to get new opponents, and IMHO that is just the opposite of what the clubs aims are.

Both of these would require time to setup and become operational, but would also put a great burden on someone to have to update the system every month. Unless it could in some way be incorporated into our existing system.

If we where just to keep it simple a suggested list of evenly balanced scenarios would be the easiest to produce (agreed upon by the two armies) and would require only updates after new scenarios or mods have been produced and playtested.

Lt. Colonel Ed Stewart
2nd Brig, 3rd Div,
III Corps, ANV