American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 7:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Supply Trains
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 2:02 pm 

I am of the opinion that there is not enough small arms ammunition available, at least for the Rebs at HPS Gettysburg. This is a problem with all the BG Civil War games. Running out of ammo was a realistic occurance in Civil War battles but there was always a supply at Corps or Army level. I recall in "Terrible Swift Sword" a supply train that would resupply wagons when they ran low. I wonder if something similar could be created or if perhaps I am the only one that would like this.

Major General Jon Thayer
Old North State Divison
3/III
Army of Northern Virginia

jonathanthayer@bellsouth.net

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 2:43 pm 

Same problem with ammo supply for artilery, but the supply wagons will only resupply the infantry

Respectfully,

Col. Gery Bastiani
II Corp., 3rd Division AotM

"If there is a shell or bullet over there destined for us, it will find us" - General James Longstreet

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 6:34 pm 

Hi, General,

I also agree. I was appalled at the end of the first day at Gettysburg to find that 40% of my ammo wagons had been used up. The artillery ammo was even worse. While the Yanks had more ammo, I don't believe the differential was that great. I know Hunt kept preaching to the battery commanders to conserve ammo, but there is no need in HPS Gettysburg.

MG Mike Mihalik
1/III/AoMiss/CSA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:41 am 

I agree most of the HPS scenarios need more small arms ammo allocated. Regiments did run out of ammo but rarely did an army. I have found even the Yankees have small arms ammo problems in the Gettysburg scenarios when the battle actually lass more than one day.

Part of the problem is that you can't manage small arms ammo. Unlike artillery you don't have a medium range AI selection so your only choices on limiting wasting of ammo is shoot at practically nothing or shoot at everything you can see.

The second problem is the Low Ammo unit. They suck up as much ammo as an Out of Ammo unit and there is no way to stop him when ammo supplies are getting low. Here I would prefer a game change. Low ammo only uses up half as much ammo to resupply. This would also rebalance some of the ammo problems. Failing having this my second choice is to have units only resupply by command. That way you could at least withdraw low and out units and not have to worry they will suck all the ammo up as they fall back.

The artillery ammo problem for most scenarios is much better now but still badly needs to be changed to one gun uses one ammo point system so reduced and small sections aren't useless.

LG. Kennon Whitehead
Chatham Grays
III Corps, AoM (CSA)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:55 am 

The only thing I would change about the current system is to give the option of "Don't Resupply" to infantry regiments, so smaller/worse/fatigued units wouldn't use supplies I'd rather save for better regiments . . . With artillery, you can always limber them to prevent their using up artillery ammo. With infantry, changing formation to column doesn't prevent their resupply . . . I've completed large battles with a series of regiments hiding out where they won't get within 5 hexes of supply wagons.

Brig Gen Dwight McBride
1st Brigade ("The Regulars")
2nd Division/V Corps/AOP/USA