American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 9:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Newbie Question
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:08 am 
What are the most popular graphics mods used for the HPS Civil War games? Also do most people play in 2D or 3D?

Thank You in advance,

Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:28 am 

There has been a lot of discussion on this topic. I don't remember the actual outcome, but my sense was that most people use 2D.

Myself, I strictly use 2D. Once in a great while,I might try 3D for something different. I like the 2D board-game effect.

<b><font color="gold">Ernie Sands
General, Commanding, Army of Ohio
ACWGC Cabinet member
</b></font id="gold">

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:48 am 

Dear Dan,

I like the 3D effect especialy with Rolf Hall's unit graphics, gives a better look more realistic. There is a set for each HPS game. I do however, check the 2D graphics during play for over views of the field. You can better tell which streams are crossable or not (dark blue verse light blue), that is much harder to tell in 3D mode. Enjoy!

Lt Gen Joseph C. Mishurda

ImageImage

Lt General Joseph C. Mishurda,
"Killer Angels"
XXV Corps, AoJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:17 am 

I like the 3D. It looks more real and the 2D reminds me too much of army maps and etc...

Willie Tisdale
"The Gray Fox"
Brig. General
Pee Dee Division
/2/II - ANV - CSA
VMI Adjutant / Instructor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:21 pm 

I find it easier to keep track of things with 2D, especially when playing the larger scenarios. But I have found that in 3D, it is easier to keep track of unit facings because 2D only shows the facing of the top unit. On more than one occasion I have inadverently presented a flank to enemy fire because I failed to inspect a stack in 2D before moving.

MG Mike Mihalik
1/III/AoMiss/CSA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:29 pm 

I prefer 3D but also use 2D to get an overview and for analysing the situation/formations etc. 2D zoom out is also useful when watching replays to see exactly where the moving units are on the map. I actually constantly have my left hand over the 1-4 keys so I can switch between views at will.

As for mods I too would recommend Rolf Hall's regimental scale units (http://www.brettschulte.net/ACWCGDC/rol ... aphics.htm). For me they make a huge difference to the gaming experience. I also mix and match various terrain mods that I've picked up from various places. Many of them have their origins in the old Talonsoft East/West Front games and for me make the terrain a little bit more realistic. But it really is a matter of personal taste and preference. As well as Brett Schulte's site you'll find many more mods here (although you'll need to register to download anything: http://www.xtreme-gamer.com/forums/downloads.php?

[url="http://homepage.ntlworld.com/a.r.barlow/acw/acw.htm"]General Antony Barlow[/url]
[url="http://homepage.ntlworld.com/a.r.barlow/aoc/XXAoC.htm"]Army of the Cumberland[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:27 pm 
In the HPS games I use 2D almost exclusively, but in BGS, I do 3D and rarely, if ever, 2D.

Gen. J. Cuneo, CSA
Army of Alabama, Commanding
Image Image

"I have seen the faces of men, who had dared death so often, it lost its' terror." -J.S. Mosby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:50 am 

I'm a flipper myself. I watch my opponents turn in 2D and then review the overall map in 2D while I do my planning. I switch down to 3D to move becuasse I don't trust the AI to move (especially the cav). I like to watch the firing in 3D of course as well. I am also a big fan of Rolf's regimental graphics it does give a more sweeping flavor to the battle lines.[:D]

Lt. Gen. Ed Blackburn
II/VI/AoS
"Forward Bucktails"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:38 am 

I use the graphics mods previously mentioned. I use 3D in Nappy, ACW, and Early American series (and the Talonsoft BG Series), and 2D for the PZC, MC, and SqB series. I use 2D in ACW to check maps occasionally for roads and river fords among other things since they don't show up well or are hidden on the 3D maps.

Lt. General Dirk Gross
XIV Corps/AoC