American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 7:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:11 am 
I need help!
I have been trying to start a full campaign gettysburg HPS the last couple weeks and am running into a wall.The game works fine by myself and even if i e-mail the files back and forth to myself but whenever me and my opponent reach the third turn which is the stage where brandy station battle opens up the battle will start to open and ask me if i want to see the replay.if i click yes it tells me "error reading file" if i say no it opens with one hex visible tilted sideways and plays the background music but nothing else at all.As soon as i try to open the cpf. file two more files are created.the bto and btc files.I"ve tried to open these,get rid of them.everything i can think of and as long as the turn is mailed from my opponent it wont open.if i mail it to myself it opens fine.Ireally need help here.How else can I ever kick this yanks butt if I can"t even get my hoss to move at brandy????
Cpt. Shumate
Birds Div.
Army of Georgia
4th Brigade.
A.K.A.
Al

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:50 am 
Site Admin

A quick response is to make sure you are both at the same update/versio. Sometimes overlooked.

Best Regards,

General Pierre D.
1st Bde, 3rd Div,I Corps
Army of Georgia, CSA

ACWGC President
1997- Oct. 2006

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:59 am 

As Pierre said check the version.

But another cause, which my brother did[:D], not me: Make sure all your files particularly the cpf file is in the game's root directory. My brother had saved the cpf file to the subdirectory "campaign" and it resulted in a very similar response as you described. I could save his cpf file to my root game directory and use it up until it was time to go to the battle scenario then blank map. If either player is using a folder other than the game's root you will get problems.

For your information the two other files, bto and btc, are used by the campaign engine to track loses and carry them over to the next battle. Don't delete them after you finish the first battle or you will lose this information. They are, however, automatically recreated whenever the cpf file is openned even if deleted.

Hope this fixes your problem.

LG. Kennon Whitehead
Chatham Grays
III Corps, AoM (CSA)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:45 pm 
okay one more question.which directory is the root?Is it hps simulations?
thanks for the help.I am indeed at wits end
Al

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:34 am 

When installed using the standard installation the game is installed in C:\Program Files\HPS\Campaign XXXXXX this is the root directory of that game and the folder where you should extract all bte and cpf files. Also when installing upgrades this is the default directory for them and if you place the game somewhere else you will have to point the upgrade files to this new location.

By the way if you are still having problems getting the campaign file to work send it to me and I can try it and see what happens. Since I haven't had any problems with my games if it doesn't work in mine then you would know for sure the problem is in the file.

Gen. Ken Miller

Army of the Shenandoah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:24 am 
thanks for the reply.
heres what happened.it was entirely my fault.about a month ago when i decided i wanted to play this campaign i realized my campaign game wasnt working properly.this had happened before and i believe it was from a download i did trying to acquire direct x to run google earth.i had to re install the game before after this and never did get the direct x to work.well that was a year ago.i did it again a couple months ago forgetting it screws up my game.well it did it agian so i reinstalled my game but this time i had updated my game from version 1.0 to 1.01 which of course my opponent had done too.well when i reinstalled i forgot to reupdate it and swearing i was on the updated version because i remembered updating it i didnt check it.finally i checked it and it said 1.0 thats when it hit me.dummy you reinstalled the game last month and never reupdated it.I"m very dense sometimes.thanks for the help.I new it would end up being my fault.I believe computers would"ve driven most civil war commanders mad but they"ve had killed for half a dozen two way radios:-)
Al