American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:52 pm 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by tciampa</i>
<br />and actually designing a couple of boardgames that got published - Port Stanley Wargamer No.28 a collector's item).<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Tom, I used to have that game on the the Falklands War and liked it a lot but sadly it got lost along with many of my old games when I spent some time abroad in the 90's. I should try to get another copy off ebay. Good memories[:)]

By the way we do have a Training Officer in the AoC (Gen Roubaud) to give new recruits further insights and experience through manoeuvre games as we identified that some recruits drift away if they don't find their feet quickly. Perhaps more can be done but that does at least acknowledges that there is an issue for new recruits who just need a little extra practice before being exposed to highly competative opponents with more experience. The War College is a very useful resource too and I have learned a lot from the articles there. I note that you have had some good tactical discussions in the 'Quartermaster's Depot'. That's a good place to get help and insight too.

[url="http://homepage.ntlworld.com/a.r.barlow/acw/acw.htm"]General Antony Barlow[/url]
[url="http://homepage.ntlworld.com/a.r.barlow/aoc/XXAoC.htm"]XO, Army of the Cumberland[/url]

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:18 am 

About Port Stanley. I am in the credits as the original graphics designer and probably in the playtester list too, though I also did some of the game development with my friend Albert Parker who was the one who came up with the idea and concept for the game. Albert, an old gaming friend moved away to DC but we stayed in touch. He suggested we ought to try a game on the Falklands War while it was still going on and we finished it almost right after it ended though it took a year or so to appear in The Wargamer. He had been reading the British Times each day and much of the detail came straight from the battle reports. He asked if I would do the graphics. I also volunteered to write WWW and I did. Keith Poultier answered almost immediately and was very enthusiastic. We sent him a draft of the first set of rules and the counters and map and he sent us a contract...a home run out of the box. We were thrilled. Of course they did quite a bit of redesign of the map to conform to their graphic image and changed its size somewhat and added a little chrome to the rules. But the design stayed largely faithful to ours. If you had the game you know then that it was very detailed. Again, I was the Right Brain, he was the Left Brain. We also designed a small RevWar game called Little Gibraltar which was published in a DC Club zine. The Birth of the American Light Infantry at the Battle of Stony Point in 1779 when us Colonists pulled off a successful Dieppe on you Imperialists with unloaded muskets in the middle of the night. [:D] Later, much later, when HPS Campaign 1776 came out I worked with Rich Hamiliton on a scenario of it for that game. We actually managed to convert it though it worked better as a little boardgame. That game was my idea as at the time I worked for the NYS Bureau of Historic Sites and had worked on many projects at the Stony Point Battlefield site and museum including an interpretive sign project. Everything we needed, maps, 1st person accounts, books were all in the sites archives.

Thank you for your comments and consideration. I do know about General Roubaud's role and we did play an advanced combat infantry training game...which consisted of me getting royally and Roubardly whipped severely as so after General Hartwig's similar beating in advanced cavalry training. I guess we can label those "object lessons." I have also relied heavily on the wonderful tactical papers and battle suggestions at the War College, some of which saved my bacon and in some games...I need to re-read some of them before trying those scenarios again. So I do pay attention, but it is the retention of what I learned...when under pressure...that I need to work on.

I have also had, as someone below mentioned about General Peters, a very kind offer by a couple of my experienced opponents, to give me tips and explanations of where I went afoul.

If I were in a crap game it would probably be said that I am trying to make my point the hard way...the club does indeed have practices, special departments and avenues of training if one seeks it. I am sorry if I seem to have implied otherwise. My point is that the people who might learn of us and think about joining might be more inclined if they learned a little more about what we have to offer <b>BEFORE</b> they have to commit to their "enlistment papers." Of course they can access the club rules and see the armies and maybe read the old newsletters and see the albums. But if on the websites that advertise links to the ACW there was a line or two specically addressing newbies with that link expressing a friendly welcome to new members maybe more people might click on the club site and be enticed...and maybe I am all wet.

Thank you Antony...there is reason why you are administrative timber and so well-regarded. In fact you are all impressive diplomats for the club...even General Peters [:D]

Thanks.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Antony Barlow</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by tciampa</i>
<br />and actually designing a couple of boardgames that got published - Port Stanley Wargamer No.28 a collector's item).<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Tom, I used to have that game on the the Falklands War and liked it a lot but sadly it got lost along with many of my old games when I spent some time abroad in the 90's. I should try to get another copy off ebay. Good memories[:)]

By the way we do have a Training Officer in the AoC (Gen Roubaud) to give new recruits further insights and experience through manoeuvre games as we identified that some recruits drift away if they don't find their feet quickly. Perhaps more can be done but that does at least acknowledges that there is an issue for new recruits who just need a little extra practice before being exposed to highly competative opponents with more experience. The War College is a very useful resource too and I have learned a lot from the articles there. I note that you have had some good tactical discussions in the 'Quartermaster's Depot'. That's a good place to get help and insight too.

[url="http://homepage.ntlworld.com/a.r.barlow/acw/acw.htm"]General Antony Barlow[/url]
[url="http://homepage.ntlworld.com/a.r.barlow/aoc/XXAoC.htm"]XO, Army of the Cumberland[/url]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:57 am 

Thanks Sir. I need to get a grasp on that withdrawal business. I once asked about how that works; meaning when it is appropriate and when it might be unethical and "gip" one's opponent out of higher level win but I never got an answer and I haven't seen but maybe one old post on the issue. I think I am confusing "leaving the map" when there are no "exit hexes" with scenarios and campaign situations that actually HAVE "exit objective hexes" for one side or the other. Until now I wasn't sure if it is was a gamey tactic or even illegal to leave without a sanctioned exit hex. I do remember General Walters' response to someone else's post on the same subject. So maybe I am good with that now and as a matter of fact I may at this very moment be in such a situation where it may be better to run then to fight to the last man...I fear, however,if I do that at this particular juncture after one win and two losses, that I will lose the campaign immediately.

Thanks.
Tom

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by nelmsm</i>
<br />Just a few quick comments on what is an interesting thread. First, part of the mystique of the campaigns, or at least to me, is knowing when you've got a clunker of scenario. Knowing when to cut and run and when to stand and fight was an important aspect of what it took to be a commanding general in the period. If I start a scenario that I recognize to be an unbalanced nightmare from the start then I start the withdrawal process. This is where the termination bid comes into play as I'll let my opponent know what I'm up to so we can end it and move on hoping for a better battle. As for losing all the time I've been there and done that. Just ask General Simms how he racked up all those victories as a Rebel. No officer should be afraid to step into their respective Taverns and ask for a fellow officer to school, or for you Rebs, "Skool", them while playing a scenario. It is nothing to turn off the fog of war and give hints while playing a friendly match.

General Mark Nelms
6/3/IX/AoO
"Blackhawk Brigade"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:18 am 

As a general rule (if there are no exit hexes for your side, which is an entirely different situation)

If you are in a Campaign scenario, feel free to exit to your heart's content. There are a few side issues (setting victory level and units using the map edge to escape immediate destruction), but overall, "preservation of forces" is not only an approved strategy, but is pretty mandatory in some circumstances.

If it is a stand alone scenario, it tends to be frowned upon.

Major General Gary McClellan
1st Division, XXIII Corps
AoO,USA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:25 am 

Thank you sir. That is very helpful.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Gary McClellan</i>
<br />As a general rule (if there are no exit hexes for your side, which is an entirely different situation)

If you are in a Campaign scenario, feel free to exit.... If it is a stand alone scenario, it tends to be frowned upon.

Major General Gary McClellan
1st Division, XXIII Corps
AoO,USA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:16 am 

Hi,

Here is the section pertaining to withdrawal in the club rules.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">5.1.4 Withdrawal of all (or a substantial portion of) forces from the battlefield, unless specified in the scenario as a victory condition, will cost the withdrawing player a 2-step reduction in the level of victory. Removal from the map of individual units, routed behind enemy lines by the game engine, is allowed. (This rule is waived in the case of campaign scenarios.)<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

MG Mike Mihalik
1/III/AoMiss/CSA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:23 am 

The only exit strategy that I frown upon is when a player gains a lead in points and exits the field to avoid further fighting that might alter the current victory conditions.

Mike, the word "substantial" seems a bit subjective.

Major Richard Walker
I Corps
Army of the Mississippi
2nd Brigade, 3rd Division
"Defenders of Tennessee"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:50 am 

If I can help, just let me know.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by notso</i>
<br />Gen. Simms,

I did in fact make a note of Maj. Walker's reply to the call to duty.

Lt. Col. Larry (Notso) Quick
"Moycullen's Marauders"
"The Calvert Line" Division
"Banshee" Corps
AoA

"Now fill your glasses up, my boys, a toast come drink with me,
May Erin's Harp and the Starry Flag united ever be!"

"Then fill your glasses up, my boys, and drink a hearty cheer,
To the land of our adoption and the Irish volunteer!"

Major Richard Walker
I Corps
Army of the Mississippi
2nd Brigade, 3rd Division
"Defenders of Tennessee"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:52 am 

Lt.Gen Simms,

My Fredericksburg scenario is a modified version of Pete's Seibels Fredericksburg, (a Cornith Mod). Basically, the yanks come in from the far right of the map and the rebs from the far left. The OOB remians untouched. The scenario has been fully played tested to 121 turns of 127 and resulted in a Reb Major Victory.

It won't be fun for you if you don't like Fredericksburg and as I said, only a good Yank Commander will achieve victory and that hill climb may also be to much for your old body.....So as long as you are engaging Gen 'Dee Dubya' Mallory, I can bear to let Fredericksburg slide.....My goal was to answer the call to your allegations....

Let's enjoy our gaming and have fun with the banter, etc....but should you decide to fight, I'll send you the scenario file to review.

kind regards,

Colonel R.E.Daley
1st Corps of the ANV
3rd Calvary Divsion,
3rd Brigade
"We are the Midnight Riders"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:52 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">nsimms Posted - Apr 10 2007 : 12:22:09 AM
...Where is that nurse that has all of the curves - you don't mean that General Laub is having another physical? <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

If she's got curves, I'll get physicalled as often as necessary...[:p]

General Jeff Laub
Union Chief of the Army
ACWGC Cabinet Member
http://www.geocities.com/laubster22/UnionHQ/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:02 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Posted - Apr 09 2007 : 7:04:27 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK … what am I passionate about? Let’s start with scenario design. Yeah … that’s a good one. LOL

Food for thought???

On each side of the club we have institutions like VMI, West Point, and the two War College’s. Scenario design is one of those animals … like the Cabinet … that crosses both sides of the club.

What about establishing a department under the Cabinet that is dedicated to scenario design? Like the other institutions, this one would have a Commandant and a staff where OBD is given out in accordance with the same rules and regulations?

Just my two cents.

Lt. Col. Larry (Notso) Quick
"Moycullen's Marauders"
"The Calvert Line" Division
"Banshee" Corps
AoA

Isn't that basically what I proposed???[8D]

Is it Army independant, reporting to the Cabinet, or a position within the Armies???

I would advocate to it reporting into an Army, or one into each Army, if we have the interest, as we do with West Point and VMI. The Rules, OBD and Awards guidance are already set up to support the Armies in providing "administrative" support. I would probably not want to have the Cabinets role altered to start including those types of activities...Lets leverage what we have in place from Rules, etc.

Perhaps I'll start a new thread to help flesh this out into a proposal that the Cabinet could then vote on...

General Jeff Laub
Union Chief of the Army
ACWGC Cabinet Member
http://www.geocities.com/laubster22/UnionHQ/