American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Fri May 24, 2024 3:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Small arms supply
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:48 am 

I think this has been discussed before but I wanted to bring it up again to see what ideas may have come up. It is my opinion that the small arms supply for the Confederates at Gettysburg is way too low. I see that in some of the updated scenarios the Rebs have wagons added and that should solve the problem in those games but is there anyway to address it in existing scenarios. i also know you can doctor the OOB but I don't mess with stuff like that. I am in a single Gettysburg 3 day battle. I have played using fire power and meleeing very little which I believe was historical and I am opening the second day with over 6,000 men with low ammo. I have four full supply wagons so some of those men will resupply but I know it not nearly enough. I am wondering where this discussion may have gone in the past. Is there anything that can be done with a patch. I don't mind running low on ammo but it should have a tactical effect, not strategic.

Major General Jon Thayer
Old North State Divison
3/III
Army of Northern Virginia

jonathanthayer@bellsouth.net

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:02 pm 

If you are playing one of the Battle scenarios you can fix it by editing the scenario and adding some wagons. I put an edited 007 scenarion with more wagons on the CSA War College site but it has many more changes than just small arms supply.

Another change that will have a significant affect is to reduce the range of rifles to a maximum of 4 by editing the pdt file. This cuts down considerably on the waste of ammo during Defensive Fire (assuming you didn't go to the extreme of setting the AI to minimum range). Whether this is enough to get you into the third day depends on how much fighting occurs and how good you are at conserving ammo.

Whether HPS will be adding any more wagons is doubtfull. I do wish they would add a medium range selection to the Defensive AI for small arms. Also shorting the range of rifles would help by forcing people to conserve ammo. It's also an alternative to no medium range selection.

LG. Kennon Whitehead
Chatham Grays
III Corps, AoM (CSA)

Profile Send private message