American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 9:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 2:36 pm 

Gents:

I am currently looking into getting into the Modern Battles a little bit. Shhhh Don't tell my wife, she thinks that I stay on the computer playing games to much now.

What I am interested in is if I was to purchase one game only for now - what should it be. Should I go with the Squad Battle Games, Mondern Campaign Games or the Panser Campaigns Games.

When I checked out their site, I see that there is not alot of our club members playing over there...so for those of you that is...please help.

Thanks for any of the information....

Willie Tisdale
"The Gray Fox"
General
Commandant - VMI - CSA

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:59 pm 
What is your fancy? Operational or tactical? WW2 or beyond? You have so many choices.

The latest release of the Squad Battles series is Soviet-Afghan War & it is a good one. I couldn't recommend a better one to start. As far as Modern Campaigns goes all the titles are older ones but they are all good too. North German Plain is may favorite.

Panzer Campaigns offers a huge selection of choices. If you have a favorite WW2 battle then you could just choose the title about that battle & start there. For example if you always wondered what is was like to fight at Stalingrad then your choice has been made. The Stalingrad title is outstanding. Heck, they are all good (well, maybe some I don't do so well at but that's another story...)

Why don't you email me if you have more specific questions & I'll be happy to help. I am sure others would be happy to give advice also. I'll be glad to take you on in a PBEM game. I'm real easy to beat.

Brig. Gen. Dale Henken
First Division
XVI Corps
Army Of The Tennessee

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:45 am 

Join the Panzer Campaigns Club - you can play the Modern games and the Panzer games there,a s well as Squad Battles...

General Jeff Laub
Union Chief of the Army
ACWGC Cabinet Member
http://www.geocities.com/laubster22/UnionHQ/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:10 am 

As Dale says, you have many choices. It depends upon whether you like to play operational games like the Panzer Campaign games (each counter represents 300 or so men and 20 or 30 vehicles as opposed to squads of ten men and individual weapons and vehicles in SB series)...I personlly like Bulge, Operation Market Garden, and the East front games. My modern favorites used to be the Squad Battle tactical games of Vietnam and Tour of Duty...played SB Eagles to death. Didn't like the Proud and the Few (Pacific SB) and someone told me that the other WWII SB games after Eagles were much the same as Eagles. I playtested for several of the SB games including Korea which was interesting. As to which club, it doesn't matter...the Modern Battles Club or the Panzer club...you can play both the PZ Campaigns or the SB game in either of them. The MBC can use some new players...it is not what it once was...I don't think...I used to edit a newsletter for that one...three issues anyway.

<b>NOTE WELL Willie. </b> I have an extra copy of the PZ Campaign Bulge '44 that I was going to put up on ebay before Christmas. It is in LIKE-NEW unused conditio<b></b>n, and I will sell it directly to you if you wish for $20 +$2.50 postage via Media Mail. No hard sale as I know I can sell it for that as a minimum on eBay here or abroad but If you are interested in the subject matter of the Bulge then it is a 50% discount over ordering it from HPS. Send me an email and we can work out payment and mailing addresses. It matters not to me, just an offer for your convenience.

I guess I am lucky...my wife loves me playing on the computer...she knows where I am [:D]

PS. Anyone reading this who is interested in a CAMPAIGN 1776 I have one of those exta too...I bought a friend's collection of computer wargames and he didn't really even play these two...same Terms $20 + $2.50 post.

Thanks.

Brigadier General
Tom Ciampa
Commanding Officer
1st Cav Division
XIV Corps, AoC
Games: TS/BG: AN, BR, CH, GB, SH - HPS: AT, CTH, GB, OZK, SH, VK