American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Mon May 20, 2024 5:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:57 am 

Can anyone provide the <u>facts, circumstances, and reasons </u>of all the command changes within the I Corps, AoP (Brgade-Division-Corps)that lead to John Newton being placed in command after Reynolds was killed? (Just during Gettysburg only.)

Gen Dave Danner
Army Commander
Army of the Cumberland

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:50 am 

Well,

Doubleday took over at first, but then he was caught playing baseball at a critical time and removed...

Sorry, I've heard the reasons, but I'd have to go home and look it up.
I know that Meade generally used a "fire brigade" method to reinforce parts of the line that were being pressured, so troops and officers of some Corps were very spread out...

If no one else gets you an answer, I'll look it up when I get home.

Col Thompson
1/3/VI
AoS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:47 am 

My understanding is that Gen. Meade, was not aware of all of the facts concerning Doubleday's very able handling of the First Corps following Reynolds death. Orders had already been issued by Meade for Newton (one of Meades West Point Classmates) to takeover the Corps after Meade learned of Reynolds death. For some reason the facts never really came out and all Meade was aware of was Doubleday's previously mediocre (according to reports by Howard) performace. Thereforce the decision stood after the battle. Doubleday was rightfully very bitter about it all, he did not even regain his divisional command to my knowledge.

Lt. Gen. Ed Blackburn
I/I/VI/AoS
"Forward Bucktails"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:19 am 

I believe Gen Blackburn is correct and there was some comments made about the handling of I Corps, probably by Howard who was trying to deflect criticism of his own handling of the fight. After Meade arrived he sent for John Newton who was junior to Doubleday to come and take command of the corps. The ironic part about that was Newton didn't arrive until late on the second day and wanted to retreat from Gettysburg at Meade's command conference making the comment this was no place to fight a battle.

Gen. Ken Miller

Army of the Shenandoah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:15 am 

Reynolds death left alot of confusion on Day One. Howard and Doubleday barely held it together before others arrived to help...

General Jeff Laub
Union Chief of the Army
ACWGC Cabinet Member
http://www.geocities.com/laubster22/UnionHQ/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:04 pm 

General Doubleday succeeded to the command after Reynolds was killed, but who took over his Division and then Brigade? Does anyone know? Doubleday did a fine job as the I Corps, although driven from the field by a superior force, they succeeded in capturing, at different times and at different points on the field, parts of three brigades of the enemy, --Archer's, Davis', and Iverson's--taking them in open field fighting, where there were none of the usual accessories of breastworks, intrenchments, or protection of any kind other than that which the field afforded. There was speculation that possibly Rowley was intoxicated during the first day and that that played a role in the changes too even though Newton was very deserving but cautioned withdrawl.

Gen Dave Danner
Army Commander
Army of the Cumberland

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:31 pm 

I think Meade put Hancock in charge of BOTH the I Corps and Howards, after the death of Reynolds. Meade believed that he could use officers as he saw fit, regardless of seniority, as Howard was senior to Hancock.

<b><font color="gold">Ernie Sands
General, Commanding, Army of Ohio
ACWGC Cabinet Member
ACWGC Records Site Administrator
</b></font id="gold">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:50 pm 

I remember from the original AH Gettysburg that the Union commanders of the I Corps divisions were: Wadsworth, Robinson and Rowley. When I first saw "history" after that game I was always confused about Doubleday commanding a division.

But, I agree with the other posts, Doubleday took over after Reynolds was killed. He did a good/great job that first day. Howard was unjustly critical (probably to deflect from his own performance) and probably led to Doubleday being removed from command. Hancock was put in charge of the center, I, II and XI Corps. But like I said earlier Meade did what was necesary, besides throwing brigade where they were needed, he put the right people in charge at the critical times. I think Meade did a GOOD job...

Col Thompson
1/3/VI
AoS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:26 pm 

I too have read the stories of Rowley being drunk and his subsequest trial. I recently discovered he was originally from Pittsburgh and came across a website about a book on his trial.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_q ... _n17194084

Have to see if I can find a copy of the book.

Gen. Ken Miller

Army of the Shenandoah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:03 am 

I think Devens who commanded the Division of the Howard's Corps at Chancellorsville was drunk when Rebs attacked his Flank but he was never triald for this am i correct??? why didn't they put him on trial???

Col. Przemek Niedzielski
4th Brigade
3rd Division
2nd Corps
Army of the Missisipi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:43 am 

Ken:

Thanks for the information and the web site address. The attached book review not only answered all of my questions but has forced me to purchase the book itself. Salute.

Gen Dave Danner
Army Commander
Army of the Cumberland

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:23 pm 

In actuality Reynolds was officially in command of the left wing of the AOP leading up to and at Gettysburg. Therefore, Doubleday was acting I Corps commander even before Reynolds was killed. Thus, Rowley, as senior Brigade commander in 3rd Division, took command of the Division and then Col. Chapman Biddle, senior Colonel in Rowley's brigade took over the brigade. When Reynolds was killed this command structure was already in place so no changes were necessary. Howard, being the Senior officer on the field after Reynolds died took command of the Field. Later in the afternoon, Hancock arrived with orders in his pocket, from Meade, to take over command of the field, agreed work with Howard, Hancock's Senior, and share command. When Meade arrived around 3 AM on the 2nd, he placed Newton in command of I Corps as he was a personal friend, and because Meade already held a negative view of Doubleday's capabilities from previous encounters.

Doubleday did indeed revert back to command of the 3rd Division which he held for the remainder of the campaign, acquitting himself well. When the AOP was reorganized, the I Corps was consolidated and became the 4th Division of V Corps. At this time Doubleday was reassigned to the Washington Defenses, where he saw his last combat when Early showed up in July of 1864.

It should be noted that for his actions at Gettysburg, Doubleday was promoted to Colonel in the Regular Army lists. Also he spoke out against Meade and his handling of the Gettysburg Campaign in front of the Joint Committee on the Conduct of the War, in 1864.

Col. Bill Spitz
3rd Division
I Corps
Army of the Potomac
[image]http://tmg110.tripod.com/federal/us-1c3d.gif[/image]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:27 pm 

Oops, I forgot to mention that the left wing of the AOP that Reynolds commanded, consisted of the I, III, and XI Corps.

Col. Bill Spitz
3rd Division
I Corps
Army of the Potomac
[image]http://tmg110.tripod.com/federal/us-1c3d.gif[/image]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:54 am 

I love it when we debate history and in the battle of Gettysburg this is one of the topics with a bit of controversy. Those that feel Doubleday's performance on day one was excellent are not without their detracters. More than a few (including myself) would describe his performance as unimaginative and poor overall. To wit, after assuming real command of I Corps (which for all intensive purposes John Reynolds had until his death) General Doubleday refused to alter away from General Reynolds original plans until his righ wing was crushed by rebels even though he was most likely very much aware that pressure was building up on that sector. Also, he placede brigades in precarious crossfire positions throughout the day. There are a few other reasons as well. He did not appear to have any CC over his artillery section and in fact had an I corps artillery chief who at times completely disobeyed his orders that day. Do I think I Corps as a whole fought like lions? Of course I do, but I think Doubleday was replaced because Meade and Hancock recognized that while he could be a staunch divisional commander (especially on the defensive) he wasn't up for Corps command.

General Don Golen

AoP, brigade assign pending Union!

http://www.acwgc.org/USA_WTC