American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 7:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Campaign tree question
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:33 am 

Need a reminder in my dotage...

Does the <i>level</i> of victory affect the next campaign choices, or just which side wins? In other words, is there an effective difference between a minor and major win when making the next choice?

I know you're "supposed" to be more cut-throat in campaigns and kill everything you can, but chasing down enemy stragglers to get those extra points to boost to a major isn't always a lot of fun for the one being chased! Normally I would accept an end to the game when one side is clearly withdrawing, but in campaign mode it seems these things matter in the next battle...

Maj Gen Sean Turner
3rd Cavalry Division, "The Bishop's Men"
I Corps
Army of Alabama

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:18 am 

Sean,
You'd need to open up the campaign editor to see if the level of victory is significant in determining what happens next. Sometimes it is and sometimes it isn't. It's all detailed in the campaign file for each step of the campaign. Sometimes a draw is as good as a victory, and sometimes a minor defeat is no worse than a major one. It's all up to the designer and the situation he is simulating.

But yes you are right, if you show mercy to a retreating enemy in one battle you may end up with a more difficult task in the next battle, not necessarily because of the implications of the victory level, but because you'll be facing a bigger enemy army with less fatigue. Not that any of this will worry a general of your stature.[:D]

[url="http://homepage.ntlworld.com/a.r.barlow/acw/acw.htm"]General Antony Barlow[/url]
[url="http://homepage.ntlworld.com/a.r.barlow/aoc/Western_Theater.htm"]Commander, Western Theater, Union Army[/url]

Profile Send private message