American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 9:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:48 pm 

Capt Sickbert,

I agree completely with MG Mihalik's reasoning regarding blitzkrieg tactics. But apart from the issue of defensive reaction, and the time it took to open up the defensive line, there is also the issue of command control, orders, communication and manoeuvre capabilities. The game allows us to co-ordinate the actions of multiple units in intricate manoeuvres, dancing around from side to side in the face of the enemy, and to identify and slip through gaps, change direction of attack, re-write the orders, change facing and attack all within a short period of time, under fire, and with the supporting units all fully aware of every movement, and with precise timing, as if the whole thing were dynamically co-ordinated by instant radio communications from a helicopter hovering above the action, and with no effort required to see through the smoke and chaos to understand what was going on. I believe that this is totally unrealistic and that generally speaking manoeuvre on the battlefield was simple and crude and that units generally followed simple orders and were occupied with maintaining formation with neighbouring units as well as their own unit cohesion. At the brigade and division level it would often have been difficult to make sense of what was going on and communication, verification, and the delivery of orders would have taken time, with the very real risk of misunderstanding and errors if things got too complicated. So the embedded melee rule imposes this slowness on proceedings and limits the scope of what can be done. It's not a perfect solution but it does make for a more satisfying game, in my opinion.

[url="http://homepage.ntlworld.com/a.r.barlow/acw/acw.htm"]General Antony Barlow[/url]
[url="http://homepage.ntlworld.com/a.r.barlow/aoc/Western_Theater.htm"]Commander, Western Theater, Union Army[/url]

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:09 am 
Thank you Sirs!

Your responses are exactly what I didn't have a firm understanding of.

Best Regards,

Capt.R.A.Sickbert,
1st Brigade, 2nd Division
V Corps
Army of the Potomac

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:18 am 

I just have to say, again, that though I originally despaired over being the whining jerk that started this whole string...that I do feel better about it as it clearly is, and has been a serious issue and one that clearly is shared by all but those who just want to "win;" their competitive success being more important than any other consideration like historosity and an as fair and balanced a contest as is possible.

The positive bent of this reply of mine here is the wealth of useful information, explanation and reality of the effect of this "blitz" rubric in our wonderful games of HPS ACW battles and our club. Despite any problems, losses or frustrations...this club, the games and all of you fellows...vets and newbies alike...are wonderful. For me anyway, and though one might well say, :"Tom, get a life," I say to all that as a retired guy with an ever decreasing circle of friends and family over the years, AND recently plagued by fate and the serious illness, twice in just three years, of a lovely daughter...this club and my many paper friends in this paper army...you "cyber friends"... have become very very important to me. The club is a part of the tactics I have had to assemble to maintain my sanity and stabilty. I can see now why our good late friend, Richard Meuleveld stayed with us to the bitter end. I hope I haven't embarrassed myself too much saying this, nor if I have overstepped some code of club discussion boards, but it just feels right to say so. It beats taking pyscho drugs. Thank you all for always tolerating me so graciously.

Sincerely and Maudinly yours,[8] I remain,

Major General
Tom Ciampa
Commanding Officer
1st Cav Division
XIV Corps, AoC
Games: TS/BG: AN, BR, CH, GB, SH - HPS: AT, CTH, GB, OZK, SH, VK

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:29 am 

As mentioned before, the single phase blitz tactics will soon be a thing of the past.

Lt. Col. Richard Walker
I Corps
Army of the Mississippi
2nd Brigade, 3rd Division
"Defenders of Tennessee"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:01 pm 

Hi, General Tom,

I can relate, being retired myself. If it wasn't for the club, I might as well go back to work. Also lost too many friends and family over the years. I will remember you and your family in my prayers.

MG Mike Mihalik
1/III/AoMiss/CSA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:10 pm 

That is GREAT NEWS...thanks for posting it.

Tom

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Rich Walker</i>
<br />As mentioned before, the single phase blitz tactics will soon be a thing of the past.

Lt. Col. Richard Walker
I Corps
Army of the Mississippi
"Defenders of Tennessee"
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Major General
Tom Ciampa
Commanding Officer
1st Cav Division
XIV Corps, AoC
Games: TS/BG: AN, BR, CH, GB, SH - HPS: AT, CTH, GB, OZK, SH, VK

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:13 pm 

Very nice of you Mike...thank you. And I will do the same.

Tom

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by mihalik</i>
<br />Hi, General Tom,

I can relate, being retired myself. If it wasn't for the club, I might as well go back to work. Also lost too many friends and family over the years. I will remember you and your family in my prayers.

MG Mike Mihalik
1/III/AoMiss/CSA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:26 pm 

HALLELUJAH!!!! That great gettin' up mornin' is comin' soon! [8D]

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Rich Walker</i>
<br />As mentioned before, the single phase blitz tactics will soon be a thing of the past.

Lt. Col. Richard Walker
I Corps
Army of the Mississippi
"Defenders of Tennessee"

Maj Gen Sean Turner
3rd Cavalry Division, "The Bishop's Men"
I Corps
Army of Alabama

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:52 am 
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Bill Peters</i>
<br />The one I cant stand is the fact that 600 of Gen. Forrest's fine cavalry can suddenly be ZOC killed in this series. Totally unhistorical.

This series needs the No Melee Elimination rule we added to the Nap series. Rich W. is against it. Please lobby for it guys. If ZOC kills are something you dont like as I do please let Rich H. know about it.

Col. Bill Peters, The Boise Rifles, II Corps Artillery, AoA

I don't get it. With Soft ZOC on, the only time a melee results in elimination is if the unit is surrounded. With the isolation rule off, it would take awhile to eliminate Forrest and his troopers.

2nd Lt. Beno
5/2/I AoP
USA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:17 am 

The isolation rule and soft ZOC are two different things. But soft ZOCs should make ZOC kills difficult.

Bill,

I'm sure many here have no idea what the "NE" is all about. You may want to explain it.

However, I believe the new upgrades will resolve many of the outstanding issues.

Lt. Col. Richard Walker
I Corps
Army of the Mississippi
"Defenders of Tennessee"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:58 am 

Lt. Beno,

I'm afraid your West Point instructor was a bit remiss in his duties if he failed to school you on the ZOC kill in the HPS games. It is possible to get a ZOC kill using only 4 units. See the War College Report on the subject. If you don't have the password contact your division commander.

Gen. Ken Miller
1/2/VI
AoS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:31 pm 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by krmiller</i>
<br />It is possible to get a ZOC kill using only 4 units. See the War College Report on the subject. If you don't have the password contact your division commander.

I was about to point this out, but is it a secret? I wouldn't want to spoil the surprise... [:I]

But yes, only 4 needed, which came as a bit of a surprise first time it was done to me.

Maj Gen Sean Turner
3rd Cavalry Division, "The Bishop's Men"
I Corps
Army of Alabama

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:42 pm 

What I do find funny is that it is different in the three serieses (can someone please tell me the right plural for this word?).

ACW: Occupy the three rear hexes; have units adjacent to all three front hexes. They don't have to exert a ZOC on these hexes. This means <b>four</b> units usually suffice for the kill (three in the rear, one adjacent to the center front hex).

Napoleonic: Occupy the two rear hexes; have a ZOC on the two front hexes. The flanks don't matter. This can be done with but <b>three</b> units.

Early American: Occupy the two rear and the two flank hexes. The front hexes don't matter. <b>Four</b> units.

Gen. Walter, USA
<i>The Blue Blitz</i>
3/2/VIII AoS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:37 am 

Unfortunately you can't just eliminate the ZOC and Isolation kill since they also server a purpose. Without them a lone regiment can wander in your rear tying down an entire brigade chasing them. I usually like to play with soft Zones and Isolation as a result. This forces you to keep your troops together and not send small cavalry units off raiding in the enemyies rear. Unfortunately, these rules don't distinquish between a "lone" regiment and a regiment temporarially separated by combat. During the Civil War regiments seldom surrendered unless completely cut off or attacked by overwhelming forces.

Whether HPS can fix the single phase system remains to be seen. It has far more problems than just melee blitzing.

LG. Kennon Whitehead
Chatham Grays
III Corps, AoM (CSA)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:34 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">What I do find funny is that it is different in the three serieses (can someone please tell me the right plural for this word?). <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Series is the plural of series.

<b><font color="gold">Ernie Sands
General, Commanding, Army of Ohio
ACWGC Cabinet Member
ACWGC Records Site Administrator
</b></font id="gold">