American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 1:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:31 pm 

If you click on an opponents adjacent unit you are able to find such imformation as there quality,how fatigued they are and also if they are disrupted.Historically during a ACW battle would a general be able to view the battlefield and be aware of the enemy strengths and weaknesses to such a degree.
Col Andy Taylor
4/1/111
AoG CSA

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:21 pm 

The General probably wouldn't....not to the same degree, although reports would reach him as to the locations of specific enemy Divisions and Brigades. The men on the ground though would be able to identify units by their regimental colours. Some had reputations, the Iron Brigade for example.

Brig. General P. Kenney
3rd Division
Cavalry Corps
Army of the Mississippi, CSA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:52 am 

I think it would be an improvement to the HPS games if more of this information wasn't made available especially fatigue levels. I also wish the detail battle report (as opposed to the on map results of combat) was made an option so it could be turned off. It provides entirely to much information on the state of the firing unit.

The ideal would be if this information only became available over a length of time if contact was maintained and was lost again after a length of time not in contact.

As long as I am wishing and its Christmas[:D] I wish spotted units not in contact would only show type and a "?" for size.

Merry Christmas all

LG. Kennon Whitehead
Chatham Grays
1/1/III AoM (CSA)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:52 am 

Assuming your playing FOW, all you can see (if adjacent)is the quality, name of unit, strength rounded to nearest 100 level (For ex: 1XX, etc..)

You cannot see FA level.

If more then 1 hex away, Unit name becomes unknown.

Lt. Col. Richard Walker
I Corps
Army of the Mississippi
2nd Brigade, 3rd Division
"Defenders of Tennessee"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:20 am 

I agree there is much more intelligence available than was historically the case, but in the framework of the game I don't think it is a major problem. I think the ultimate solution, as I have
stated in the past, is preplotted simultaneous movement/fire, but I realize that is much more complicated than it sounds. I also realize it might not prove to be as much fun. What might equalize things would be allowing automatic offensive fire so that the the offensive phasing player can't take immediate advantage of the intelligence he has.

I agree with General Whitehead that the strength in 100's is too much, but you ought to be able to tell the difference between 25 men and 250 men, or between 100 men and 1000 men. At least, with a maximum visiblility of 70 hexes and the weather option that really screws up visibility, I think the game is moving in the right direction.

As I stated at the beginning, I don't consider the excess intelligence to be a major problem and feel there are a number of other improvements in other areas like artillery crews that would do more to enhance the game than limiting intelligence. Just my humble opinion.

To Rich, whose message I just read: It is true that you can't tell fatigue level, but if the morale rating is yellow, you know the enemy unit has suffered a morale penalty, whether from fatigue, flanking fire, low ammo or whatever. You just don't know how much of a penalty or what caused it.

MG Mike Mihalik
1/III/AoMiss/CSA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:10 am 

Many thanks for your replies gents.In answer to an earlier point i do play using FOW.With regard to the morale indicating yellow,that would be my point,if i am adjacent to say three units in a stack with morale "C" one of which the morale shows yellow that would be the one i would target, knowing it would be -1 on the dice roll, hoping for a rout and disrupting the two remaining units.Would opposing commanders on an ACW battlefield be aware that an enemy unit had taken a morale hit?
Kennon mentioned a christmas wish,mine would be for defensive fire in "single phase" to be increased to 75%.Controversial? Probably, but in my humble opinion "phase play" is unhistorical.Historically armies would not cross six hexes without receiving any fire of any kind.
Just my opinion.
Thanks again
Col Andy Taylor
4/1/111
AoG CSA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:03 pm 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Rich Walker</i>
<br />Assuming your playing FOW, all you can see (if adjacent)is the quality, name of unit, strength rounded to nearest 100 level (For ex: 1XX, etc..)
You cannot see FA level.
If more then 1 hex away, Unit name becomes unknown.

Lt. Col. Richard Walker
I Corps
Army of the Mississippi
2nd Brigade, 3rd Division
"Defenders of Tennessee"
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

While if you are using FOW you can't see the fatigue level all you have to do is turn off "On map results" and look at the fire modifiers when it shoots at you. Usually you can deduce it with little trouble.

I don't have a problem with the reporting of strength when adjacent. What I have a problem with is knowing the strength of a unit to the nearest x00 at five miles or more.

The main problem with our ease of access to detail enemy information is that surprise is difficult. Only on a few scenarios is there sufficient cover to prevent an enemy from accurately estimating your force from miles away rather than through contact.

LG. Kennon Whitehead
Chatham Grays
1/1/III AoM (CSA)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:11 pm 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by andy taylor</i>
<br />Many thanks for your replies gents.In answer to an earlier point i do play using FOW.With regard to the morale indicating yellow,that would be my point,if i am adjacent to say three units in a stack with morale "C" one of which the morale shows yellow that would be the one i would target, knowing it would be -1 on the dice roll, hoping for a rout and disrupting the two remaining units.Would opposing commanders on an ACW battlefield be aware that an enemy unit had taken a morale hit?
Kennon mentioned a christmas wish,mine would be for defensive fire in "single phase" to be increased to 75%.Controversial? Probably, but in my humble opinion "phase play" is unhistorical.Historically armies would not cross six hexes without receiving any fire of any kind.
Just my opinion.
Thanks again
Col Andy Taylor
4/1/111
AoG CSA

While single phase play has improved considerably with the new optional rules, I still consider it to broken to be useful except for multiplayer. While it fixes one problem, what use to be called panzer bush, it introduces to many problems with handicapping the defender to be worth while. Also one can justify phased play as being a better simulation of the CW. It restricts reaction which probably simulates the poor staff structure of Civil War armies better than most systems. Civil War units were very slow to react to threats that required them to do anything but shoot.

LG. Kennon Whitehead
Chatham Grays
1/1/III AoM (CSA)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:09 pm 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by KWhitehead</i>

I don't have a problem with the reporting of strength when adjacent. What I have a problem with is knowing the strength of a unit to the nearest x00 at five miles or more.

The main problem with our ease of access to detail enemy information is that surprise is difficult. Only on a few scenarios is there sufficient cover to prevent an enemy from accurately estimating your force from miles away rather than through contact.

LG. Kennon Whitehead
Chatham Grays
1/1/III AoM (CSA)
Hi, General,

Actually, with the 70 hex limit, your visibility is limited to a bit under five miles. But I could agree that beyond a certain distance objects might be indistinguishable, even in clear weather. I just am not sure how far that might be, with ACW binoculars. Also, it makes a
difference if the unit is hiding in the woods or marching down a road or whether it is a wagon, artillery, infantry or cavalry unit. Wish someone would do an experiment to get a realistic appraisal of how distance affects observation. Maybe at a certain distance question marks would be appropriate, like wagons observe.

I agree with your assessment of the pros and cons of single turn and have reached the same conclusion you have.

MG Mike Mihalik
1/III/AoMiss/CSA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:07 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by mihalik</i>
Actually, with the 70 hex limit, your visibility is limited to a bit under five miles. But I could agree that beyond a certain distance objects might be indistinguishable, even in clear weather. I just am not sure how far that might be, with ACW binoculars. Also, it makes a
difference if the unit is hiding in the woods or marching down a road or whether it is a wagon, artillery, infantry or cavalry unit. Wish someone would do an experiment to get a realistic appraisal of how distance affects observation. Maybe at a certain distance question marks would be appropriate, like wagons observe.

I agree with your assessment of the pros and cons of single turn and have reached the same conclusion you have.

MG Mike Mihalik
1/III/AoMiss/CSA

Actually its 4.77 miles but the real problems is that a normal eye at that distance cannot distinquish two objects 2.5 yards apart much less count men. Further complicating estimating just how far a regiment say can be seen is that it depends on your angle of view. In Virginia where there isn't such thing as perfectly flat land a person really can't "see" five miles when viewing something at the same level as themselves. All its takes is one area of ground or vegetation to rise six feet to totally block LOS. And, in a place like I am, Houston area, where the swamp land is flat the humidity is so high that seeing an object at much over a mile is difficult.

But the real question is how much information can a commander obtain from observing enemy forces at various distances?

This is very weather dependent because they could tell that large bodies of troops were approaching over roads just by the amount of dust thrown up above the tree line. On the other hand a pike or wet roads would reveal nothing. But the key word here is "large" or "small" not 400-500 men.

Moving back to closer distances the "rule of thumb" or little finger[:D] you might say is: Objects with one degree of arc look like the width of your little finger at arms length. A man's height at 100 yards is the same. An object that size would be very difficult to aim or hit except by an accomplished marksman. You probably could tell the uniform was blue if the air was clear. You could probably tell if they were closed up or open formation but you could hardly count men accurately because most would be unseen behind the front line. Almost any kind of vegetation between you would block most of your view. Reality probably was that the officers estimated the size of the force at this distance by type of line (two rank), how many flags they could count, and width of frontage. They could probably tell nothing about what brigade or regiment they were. And, this is our typical fighting distance in our games unless there is melee.

Now stepping back to our typical non fighting distance where artillery is the main weapon say 1000 yards lets see what happens.

Our little finger rule now corresponds to an object 17.5 yards tall. We can spot any elephants they might be using but little else. A person with 20/20 vision can no longer separate something less than a foot appart. You certainly can't count men. If the officer had binoculars he might do a little better but my initial search found most were only 2x or 3x instruments. A line of two rank men now appear, assuming weeds are in the way, about the size of the lettering on a dime held at arms length.

My feeling from this short study is that:

If we meleed with them we probably know what we now know from being adjacent to the unit.

If we are merely adjacent and firing at each other we probably know their strength to the nearest 100.

At 1000 yards we know how many hexes they occupy. It's highly questionable that we would know how many regiments were in a hex much less size of the force in a hex.

At distances beyond 1000 years we probably only know there is someone out there but nothing about size or specific location.

There are special circumstances like LOS to a section of road where you can watch the movement of troops down it. You could deduct the size of force by how long you see them marching past a point on the road. But then it could be Magruder marching troops in a circle.

LG. Kennon Whitehead
Chatham Grays
1/1/III AoM (CSA)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:16 pm 

The following is copied from an article discussing Roman Legions, but it is pertinent to some arguments in this thread.

<b>The ability of the commander to control his army during battle was probably not great.

As noted above, it would have been difficult to see or hear much of what was happening during the battle.
Goldsworthy gives a chart of what can be seen at various distances on page 152 of his book. "Figures given in the Victorian Artillerists's Manual on recognition distances provide us with a useful guide [to what can be seen on the battlefield]:
1,700 yards - masses of troops can be recognized
1,300 yards - infantry can be distinguished from cavalry.
1,000 yards - individuals can be seen.
700 yards - heads, crossbelts etc. can be distinguished
500 yards - uniforms recognized, reflections from weapons
250 yards - officers recognizable, uniforms clear </b>

BTW, I've forgotten the author, my apologies to him.

MajGen Al 'Ambushed' Amos

The Union Forever! Huzzah!