American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 11:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:27 am 

The dwindling subject matter aside, I think the system is getting a tad stale. Probably what would help most is a review of the engine with an eye towards incorporating a "wego" turn similair to the Johnny Reb miniatures system or the old World at War games. There would still be the board game flavor but with more dynamic and less predictable play. And probably be more representative of the role of an overall battlefield commander.

Gen. Doug Burke

Other hobby: Running 30-40 miles per week. Several races a year from 5K to marathon. Boston marathon 2007.

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:10 am 

I think the HPS games are great and will buy every one until something better comes along. I thought the Battleground Civil War games were great too, but HPS beats them in many ways - bigger (huge) maps, greater range of casualties and morale, number of scenarios and variations, etc.

I would say I plan to keep buying them until I find one that I can beat Ken Whitehead at, but I fear I'd run out of money first. [:D]

MG George Denney
1st Division, VI Corps
Army of the Shenandoah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:22 am 

These are great games and have enjoyed playing them. Especially, the western theater battles. If I had the money I would buy all of the HPS series.

Years ago I downloaded a game from Cat Daddy Games that is called American Civil war - Gettysburg. Those graphics are fun to watch and give more of a "battle" type setting. Maybe that will be the next generation of CW games?

Col. Seger
4/3/VIII, AoS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:05 am 

For the HPS Civil War series, I'm still buying. I can't say the same for the Colonial nor Napoleonic titles. See my comments on the new "Chancellorsville" disk. This one has the potential to be my favorite HPS title.

I WOULD like to see some standardization in the scenarios as far as terrain costs go. I realize that HPS has let the individual designers have their way in this matter but I think it was a mistake. But it drives me crazy when woods in one game costs 4 mps and in another 5 mps. This has lead to some crazy anomalies that get in there like the experience I had once in a Campaign Ozark game. A unit moved into a hex that he could never get out of for the whole game.

I like the Chancellorsville disk for another reason ie: going back to full batteries instead of those cursed 'sections'.

I DO think that HPS could be doing a lot more with these titles. More fully developed command control optional rules would be a good thing.

But I do see that we are reaching the 'saturation point' as to campaign titles. The 1864 overland campaign might be interesting but as "Atlanta" and the "Franklin" disk showed, battles against impregnable fortifications are not all that interesting.

That leaves us with some kind of "Shenandoah" disk I guess.

Bg. General Gilbert Collins
Army of Alabama
III/I/2nd Brigade