American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:35 am 
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Bill Peters</i>
<br />Is it just me or has anyone else noted that their A rated Rebs rout too?

This is happening in Vicksburg all too often.

I am playing in the AoA vs. AoC challenge, my opponent Stewart Crisp is a great guy but my A rated regiments in cover behind breastworks rout away. No, dont have a leader on them. A is worth 6. Zilch fatigue.

So how is this happening? No flank shots either.

Am going to migrate over to the AGEOD games after this one is over. Just cant get excited about this happening. There should be a morale 7 for some reb units just like in the Nap series. Some units should not rout when only taking 2 percent casualties or something like that.

Col. Bill Peters, The Boise Rifles, II Corps Artillery, AoA
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

If they are from Walker's division it is because they get no leader modifiers at all because Walker's division is under Johnston's army and Johnston is never on the map so Walker gets no bonus and therefore his units are all out of commend and suffer accordingly. Design flaw in the way the game works that completely destroys any realistic use of detatched troops like Walker's division. I suppose the designer could have fixed this problem by sticking Johnston and a Corps commander into the OOB for all battles where Walker is present just to avoid the command problem even if those officers would not have been present in the actual battle during the war - the real soldiers didn't care that Johsnton was not on the field - they didn't fight any less well because they were "out of command radius".

Regards,

Lt. Gen. Alan Lynn
CSA Chief of Staff
3rd Bgde, 3rd Cav Div, II Corps, AoA

God Bless <><

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:12 am 

Col Peters,

I don't know why the reb A units are routing at Vicksburg, doesn't make sense as an A class unit should not rout unless it has some kind of debit to it's Morale Value, it's starting Morale is 6 and that is the highest number you can roll and according to the User Manual the Morale Die Roll has to exceed the units Morale Value to rout a unit. They get debits to their Morale Value for being D'd, out of ammo, medium/high FA, enfilade fire. If you think there's a problem maybe you should contact HPS Support.

Gen Lynn,

I believe your understanding of the Command Rules is not correct, at least according to the User Manual

"At the beginning of each player’s Turn, a Command Test is performed for <u>all leaders</u> currently on the map. The Command Test begins with the highest commanding leaders on the map and proceeds downward through the command hierarchy."

So Walker makes a command check regardless of whether or not his commander is on the map. With a command rating of B he passes on anything but a 6 so he should be in command most of the time. Once again from the User Manual

"A Leader which passes his Command Test will pass a +1 Command Bonus modifier down to the Command ratings of his subordinate commanders (except to Detached Leaders)."

this would mean Walker would pass on a +1 bonus to his brigade commanders when they make their command check if they are within command radius of him.

Even if Walker fails his command check his brigade commanders will still make their command check and could still pass a bonus on to their units if they pass.

Finally the command status of a brigade officer will only affect his units ability to recover from being D'd, it has nothing to do with morale other than the -1 modifier to a unit's morale for being D'd.

Gen. Ken Miller
1/2/VI
AoS

*Edited for mistakes

Profile Send private message