American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 11:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:54 am 

I have Atlanta,Vicksburg and Gettysburg, would like to get additional games but not games wear the artillery is broken down into sections. the sections seem to clutter the map and slow the game down Is their any way of combining sections into batteries? I tried this in designing A game for Gettysburg but could dot do it am I missing something? Ernie

Lt.Ernie Fantini
2/3/V111
AOS

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:18 am 

Lt.

The OOBs are locked. You have to use one that come with yhe game.

Although they 'clutter' up the map arty sections are more realistic, and even play balance up, imo.

MG Al "Ambushed" Amos, Commanding Officer
4th "Amos' Ambushers" Bde, 1st Div, XX Corps, AoC, USA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:15 am 

Try not to worry or be too much put off by sectional Artillery breakdown amongst the different games. As mentioned, sectional breakdown IS probably a better representation and is certainly fairer for the two opposing sides.
I find the big scenarios on Gettysburg are the only situations where large numbers of gun sections seem a real pain. The Union Artillery reserve alone covers more than 4 miles of road when strung out in march column ...if the full Batterys were modelled instead then the same force would cover a bit over a mile and a half! Annoying I agree, but I honestly don't think any of the others games feature too much Artillery related frustration of the same degree.

Brigadier-General Jim Wilkes.
2nd Brigade, Cavalry Division, XX Corps.
AoC. U.S.A.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:44 am 
Ernie,

The only game you can do mod for is Corinth Version 1.01......The game is no longer made in that version, so you would have to copy it to a 2nd folder for playing Mods and patch it back to 1.01.....

Hank

BG Hank Smith
Army of Georgia
Smith's Corp Commanding

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:29 pm 

My real question is what games do not have sectional artillery, Atlanta and Vicksburg don't are their any others? As far as the debate goes I can see both sides. Myself I like to play full battles or at least hole days, I can see with shorter games with less units sections would seem more appropriate, but were dose it stop company size units may be considered more real, or platoons, squads ? I wish I could play A Tiller game of Gettysburg at brigade level. I don't want to spend my money on games with sectional units if I can help it. Ernie

Lt.Ernie Fantini
2/3/V111
AOS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:48 am 

Hank, Not strictly true.

<font color="red">(The only game you can do mod for is Corinth Version 1.01)</font id="red">

If you want to do a scenario with a battery of six guns then use one of the original two gun batteries and change the 2 to a 6. Now the other 2 sections change 2's to 0's. Now when you set up the scenario just use the six gun battery.

<font color="orange">Altered Line from OOB.</font id="orange">

<font color="orange">U 6 5 A T 32 10 2nd, Me Lt
U 0 5 A T 32 10 ((AB)) 2nd, Me Lt
U 0 5 A T 32 10 (C) 2nd, Me Lt</font id="orange">

Original Line from OOB.
U 2 5 A T 32 10 (A) 2nd, Me Lt
U 2 5 A T 32 10 (B) 2nd, Me Lt
U 2 5 A T 32 10 (C) 2nd, Me Lt

You will also see that I changed the unit id by removing the (A)from the first section and put it in the second section. ((AB))It will work.

Is that clear?
Hank, Ernie try it and see.

General
Frank (Old Banshee) Mullins,
XVI Corps,
Army of the Tennessee.
Commanding.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:36 am 

I would suggest you do not modify the original oob files and if you do make sure you notify your opponent because he will have to replace his with your version. This can produce problems if one of you is playing two opponents in the same game engine.

You will find most of the designers have attempted to satisfy as many people as they can by providing alternate OOB's for those who don't like the artillery sections.

Ernie,
In answer to your original problem with the artillery sections.

Atlanta - all Campaign Atlanta OOB's have both a battery and it's component sections listed, when creating a scenario you can place either one battery or it's component sections into the scenario.

Gettysburg - there are 3 versions of each OOB, for example
<b>June 30a</b> - This is the standard version with guns in sections and cavalry having some detachments and some larger units
<b>June 30aa</b> - This version has guns in sections and all cavalry broken into 100 man or smaller units.
<b>June 30ax</b> - This version has the guns in batteries and the cavalry in regiments with no detachments, ala the old BG system. The rebel batteries are consolidated into guns of one type with the overall total number of each type supposedly correct although I never bothered to verify it.

Vicksburg, probably because of the mixed gun type on both sides or the designers decision does not have a full battery oob.

For information on the HPS game files and a primer on using the scenario editor go to http://www.acwgc.org/acwco/ scroll to the bottom and you'll see a link for the ACWCO Engineering site.

Hope this helps.

Gen. Ken Miller
AoP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:03 am 

Ken,

Thanks for pointing out the three oob versions in Gburg. The 'aa' version is what I was wanting to use to make scenarios. I haven't made many since I didn't think this version existed. Yippiee!

MG Al "Ambushed" Amos, Commanding Officer
4th "Amos' Ambushers" Bde, 1st Div, XX Corps, AoC, USA