American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Tue Jun 04, 2024 4:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Naval Superstitions
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:38 pm 
I am currently reading a history of the Naval activities of both sides during the Civil War.

The following is an excerpt from the book:

A woman aboard a ship would roil the waters (but a naked woman would calm them; there being a shortage of available naked women through most of maritime history, carved topless figureheads became popular). If the rim of a glass rang and was not stopped, a shipwreck would ensue. A halo around a seaman's head - the fabled "St. Elmo's fire" - signaled that he would die within a day. It was bad luck to kill an albatross, or even a seagull, because such birds contained the souls of dead sailors. Pouring wine onto the deck would guarantee good luck, but throwing stones into the sea would bring on storms. Flat-footed people should be avoided at the outset of the voyage, and likewise red-haired people. If such contact could not be avoided, speaking to them before they spoke to you would be of some help.

Cats comprised an ocean of superstitions unto themselves. Cats could forecast the weather; a yowling cat meant the voyage would be a rough one (but a playful cat indicated smooth sailing). If a cat licked its fur against the grain, a hailstorm was on the way. And if a cat was thrown overboard - well, that was the most reckless cat-related augury of all. Bad luck of all kinds would plague the ship.

So for all of you sailors in the Club for nations across the world... what of it? Are any of these superstitions still around?

Post subject: Re: Naval Superstitions
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:47 pm 

If you see a cat in a catbox that means he is in rebel territory. If you see a cat in a cathouse that means he is in the rebel officers club. :wink:

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:12 pm 
I was in the dry land Navy, Seabees, and don't recall any supetstitions, might be dark water thing.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:16 pm 

Drex wrote:
If you see a cat in a catbox that means he is in rebel territory. If you see a cat in a cathouse that means he is in the rebel officers club. :wink:

If you see a cat in Confederate hands it means the cook hasn't started supper yet!

Union Military Academy Instructor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:20 pm 

General Ringbloom <salute>

How has the "Gator Challenge" worked out for your teams?

Gator Bloom: Confederate major victory at the time we walked away.
Gator Scrap: Confederate major victory.
Gator Klebbe: Ongoing, but the Yanks are in a world of hurt.

Talk is cheap, and the majority of what we've faced from the AotS wouldn't buy a dirty glass.

CSA Cabinet Secretary

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:46 pm 

WE aim to change that. You can't base your reputation on a few guys. And we still got Hulinsky's Flag, something you don't have. (sorry Roger, if you're out there). The AotS is challenging every Reb army one by one, the AotM is next. We don't talk about it, we fight fight about it! And when Hancock's Division hits the ground, it will be all over for the confederacy.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:49 pm 
Usually when people "hit the ground" its because they are dead... just an observation.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:01 pm 

The paratroopers will be glad to hear that.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:02 pm 

Suh, again my compliments! The AotM was the last army you challenged, to which Gator Alley responded with the results listed above. You might as well talk about it, because your teams haven't done too well. You should know, you were on one of them.

Highest regards,

CSA Cabinet Secretary

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:14 pm 

No, we'll fight about it. We're fighting the ANV now and we will fight you next. What happened in the past is for old men who have nothing but memories. We are in the here and now and our Army fights as a whole not just a division. You will get your chance starting Sept 1.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:43 pm 

Suh, my compliments!

As I was in command of but a division I'll take that as a compliment.

We'll have our chance come September 1st? Suh, the way I see it you've already had yours :mrgreen:

CSA Cabinet Secretary

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:58 pm 

So you are refusing to fight? There are no caps on battles (and bravado) but evidently there is on courage and Sir, you have come up short. So what if you have won some battles, we have also including the victory in only 12 turns over the AotM. We're not talking about a single battle coming up but 20+ battles. The AotS fielded 23 men against the ANV, all in single battles and that is what the AotM will face: not just one division but the whole army. But since when do you speak for the AotM? You are not even a CoS. The negotiations for our upcoming battle will between the myself and the AotM AC. Whether you are a part of the upcoming confrontation remains to be seen.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:14 pm 

Oh, my! I am so deeply embarrassed I don't know if I can live with the shame. "Not even a CoS" has sent me into a depression that I may never come out of, but I'll try. I'm but a lowly corps commander, however I'm pretty sure I'll have some input in any negotiations between the armies. Call it a hunch.

You posted previously "What happened in the past is for old men who have nothing but memories", and then later bring up General Hulinsky's colors. I believe that was Cockroaches Legion, whose flag I haven't seen in some time, and General Hulinsky also retired quite some time ago. Hello, old man :mrgreen:

I remember challenging Cockroaches Legion to reclaim General Hulinsky's colors, however it seems they were too busy and elite to bother with an upstart Gator Alley. I believe that was a refusal to fight, suh. :mrgreen:

You posted earlier "And when Hancock's Division hits the ground, it will be all over for the confederacy". Well, you also posted earlier "You can't base your reputation on a few guys." In fairness, I guess that's true since they have no reputation to base anything on except that their challenge was accepted, which doesn't sound much like "refusing to fight".

You brought 23 men into battle against the ANV, so do you want a peanut? :wink:

CSA Cabinet Secretary

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:31 pm 
If the AotS can't even beat the ANV I dont know why they even bother to come pick a fight with the big dogs out west! Or, maybe I should say the Gators and Elephants out west.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:56 pm 

General Blake <salute>

Suh, my compliments!

I would certainly not question the commitment or abilities of my comrades in the Army of Northern Virginia, although I am certainly interested in knowing how that contest is progressing. General Ringbloom is certainly demonstrating what my grandmother used to say was "your eyes are bigger than your stomach", or what might be more commonly described as "biting off more than you can chew".

They've already met Nicodemus, mostly to their sorrow. They'll next get to "see the elephant" as well.

Your humble servant,

CSA Cabinet Secretary

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next