American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Scourge of War
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:04 pm 

Announcement: http://www.matrixgames.com/news/958/Sli ... shing.Deal

Question-Who has played it, and did you like it?

MG Elkin
XVIth Corp-Commander
AotT

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject: Re: Scourge of War
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:17 am 

I no longer have it installed so I will have to give my comments from memory (what little is left of it).

If I am remembering correctly the worse draw back of this and most 3D type games is no email support. They usually have direct play across the internet play but this is difficult to set up and hard to schedule if the game lasts any length of time.

SoW does have great graphics. It's fun to watch them fight. It isn't particular fun to try to actually control the regiments. I found the game particularly bad about automatically forming your regiment into column and marching a 100 yards and then going back into line. This is a side effect of the AI having to control the regiments when you are looking elsewhere. It is the curse of these type games that try to play in real time. As you increase the scale of the battles you play the worse this becomes.

The other problem with this and the gender of real time games is correctly placing units. Without a hex grid to define terrain in absolute terms you will find you have to micro manage your units to get them into position. Want them behind a fence or along a tree line. Maybe twenty or thirty micro commands later you will have your brigade properly placed. Meanwhile two or three division have marched off the battlefield pursuing some AI dream. The AI isn't smart enough and the graphics aren't clean enough for you to place a unit exactly where you intend it to be with a single click. The regiment may end up to far in one direction or another or oriented so it doesn't line up correctly to gain the benefit of the terrain. You end up sending them to the general area you want them in then having to remember to revisit the units to adjust their orientation and position while watching little icons indicate whether it is qualifying for the terrain benefit.

It is really neat to zoom in and watch the little men fire cannons and fight the enemy but you quickly learn not to do this because while you are watch one part of the action the rest of the battle has gone to hell in a handbasket.

Post subject: Re: Scourge of War
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:39 pm 

Thanks for the information.

MG Elkin