American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:36 pm 

Don't want to speak for the club administration but I guess the scenarios have to be fed into the database and that isn't done yet.

"Where to stop? I don't know. At Hell, I expect."

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:31 am 

That is right and it process in the works.

ACWGC Records Site Admin

"If you do not know where you are going, any road will take you there."

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:08 am 

A little Feedback:

I just purchased the title a few days ago and am exploring a bit.

The new 2D Normal View on the map is outstanding. I still find myself working with square cardboard counters but watching the replay in 3D. I really like the size of the 2D Normal view and the 3D is simply great to view at any time.

The new Tool Bar works well for me. I find the new Tool Bar to be clearer to see and easier to intuitively understand the more I use it. I am using the Standard Medium size icons and scanning the bar is much easier for me than before.

I am a huge fan of the new Visible Hex view as well. Make the change at Settings / Hex Highlights / Hex Outline and then go to Visible hexes, neat! There were times in the past that I could hardly see a visible hex with a stack of units on it. Now there is no doubt what hexes are visible.

I like all this!

Back to exploration :)

Army of the Potomac

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:02 pm 

R. Sickbert wrote:
A little Feedback:

I am a huge fan of the new Visible Hex view as well. Make the change at Settings / Hex Highlights / Hex Outline and then go to Visible hexes, neat! There were times in the past that I could hardly see a visible hex with a stack of units on it. Now there is no doubt what hexes are visible.

Back to exploration :)

This is one part of the new features that didn't excite me much. The old format is easier for me because the visible hexes are normal lighting and the ones out of LOS are dark. I don't know ... maybe I missed something but the "beehive" hex outlines was more a distraction factor than an aid.

But lots of new things in the game that are very nice to be sure :)

Optional Rules I Use in WDS ACW Games:
(by column from left to right)
Column 1: All ON except for Man. Def. Fire; Column 2: All ON except for Alt Fixed Unit Rel.; Column 3: All ON except for Art.Capt. & Prop.Op.Fire

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:00 am 

Ed Lytwak and I are playing 005 First Assault I, June 15th, 1864 and have found that the night turns are 20 minutes long, is this meant to be correct? PS: Enjoying the new title, even as the CSA :mrgreen:

Brigade Commander
Alabama State Volunteers
Cleburne's Division
Hardee's Corps
(1/1/1)
Army of Tennessee

Confederate States of America

Last edited by cameronm on Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don't drink and post

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:29 am 

With the introduction of the Extreme Fog-of-War (EFOW), which will very probably, I hope, be updated into all former titles of the Civil War Campaign series, isn't it about time to seriously consider the ability to fragment cavalry regiments for actual recon duty? What bending of reality could possibly be advanced to support the rationale of sending an entire regiment to feel out the enemy positions?

Isn't it time with the advent of EFOW to allow in some manner the incorporation of cavalry squadrons? And if it came to even just being able to split a 400-man cavalry regiment into two equal "battalions," I'd settle for that as starters. I'd even settle for adding one 50-man squadron for each cavalry regiment in the OOB!

Commander, Army of the Tennessee
(2011-2014 UA CoA/GinC)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:40 am 

"Isn't it time"?

Unfortunately, no. No new features until we have updated all past games to current standards. This is to expedite the update process. After all of the updates are out, we will then begin to consider adding new features.

Note that "updated all past games to current standards" implies that, yes, the Extreme Fog of War will be applied to all older games also.

We are not very far away from releasing the next update, BTW. Can you guess which game? :P

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:50 pm 

Joe Meyer wrote:
With the introduction of the Extreme Fog-of-War (EFOW), which will very probably, I hope, be updated into all former titles of the Civil War Campaign series, isn't it about time to seriously consider the ability to fragment cavalry regiments for actual recon duty? What bending of reality could possibly be advanced to support the rationale of sending an entire regiment to feel out the enemy positions?

Isn't it time with the advent of EFOW to allow in some manner the incorporation of cavalry squadrons? And if it came to even just being able to split a 400-man cavalry regiment into two equal "battalions," I'd settle for that as starters. I'd even settle for adding one 50-man squadron for each cavalry regiment in the OOB!

There are in fact many sceanrios with fragmented units, similar to breaking down batteries into sections.

Franklin, Shiloh, Chickamauga, Antietam, Atlanta, Chancellorsville, Petersburg and Shenandoah

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:40 pm 

What's with the standard "visible hexes" not working? No matter what I do, I can't click on a hex and see what hexes are visible from there. Is something wrong with my download, or is there a non-intuitive trick I need to know? The old system was fine, perfect, not broke. I hope we didn't "fix" it . . .

V Corps/AOP/USA

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:04 pm 

Dwight McBride wrote:
What's with the standard "visible hexes" not working? No matter what I do, I can't click on a hex and see what hexes are visible from there. Is something wrong with my download, or is there a non-intuitive trick I need to know? The old system was fine, perfect, not broke. I hope we didn't "fix" it . . .

It's the optional rule. Extreme FOW. Unselect it before you start a game, or be forced to put away for flying saddle bag drone. With it, you'll actually have to physically place a unit on the hex, if you want to see what you can see from the hex. Very effective! Best new feature IMHO.

Franklin, Shiloh, Chickamauga, Antietam, Atlanta, Chancellorsville, Petersburg and Shenandoah

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:47 pm 

Thank you very much for the prompt answer.

What other aspects of the "Extreme" fog-of-war should I be aware of? . . . or where can I find notes and/or a
discussion of it? Couldn't find that in any "help" files.

V Corps/AOP/USA

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:34 pm 

In the game under Help is the Changes file. The part relevant to Extreme Fog of War Option addition is such:

* Added the Extreme Fog of War optional rule. When Extreme Fog of War is in effect, the Visibility highlight only displays from friendly occupied hexes. Also, for enemy units in obscuring terrain (e.g., Forest), enemy force counts will only display as XXX instead of, for example, 3XX.

I like it .... and dislike it. :lol: There were times when I would look and look for just that special Hex that I could park someone on to view the battlefield. A person can still find what they believe will be a good spot but until they get there it is an unknown. I do find however that I am more diligent about moving a unit hex by hex. I watch the visible hexes as the point unit moves along. It really ticks me off when I am sneaking around and then find myself on a hex that burps a visible line onto an enemy unit which can spoil the surprise.

The more worrisome aspect in my mind are the instances of the unknown for Melee purposes. Let's say a stack of three units of XXX. So what size stack are they......300 or maybe a 1000. Only one way to find out. The more I am playing with it the more I am liking it.

I like the fog of war. At my age the mind is a little foggy anyway :mrgreen:

Army of the Potomac

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:57 pm 

Thank you very much, sir.

V Corps/AOP/USA

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:33 pm 

Berto wrote:
"Isn't it time"?

Unfortunately, no. No new features until we have updated all past games to current standards. This is to expedite the update process. After all of the updates are out, we will then begin to consider adding new features.

Note that "updated all past games to current standards" implies that, yes, the Extreme Fog of War will be applied to all older games also.

We are not very far away from releasing the next update, BTW. Can you guess which game? :P

My guess would be Gettysburg

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:37 pm 

My bet is on Peninsula.

"Where to stop? I don't know. At Hell, I expect."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next