American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:27 pm 

My compliments to the forum.

I recently graduated from the UMA and was posted to the Army of the Shenandoah. David Danner and Nick Kunz arranged a Lieutenant's Cup game between me and Chris Iddings of the CSA.

Nick recommended the "Raid on Stephenson's Depot" scenario, and Chris and I agreed on optional rules: manual defensive fire OFF and rout limiting OFF with all else ON. I disclosed that "Raid" was the training scenario that David and I just finished (draw, but it was ugly).

"Raid" is 18 turns and as soon as I get an image hosting account set up, I'll post a map. The real depot is northeast of Winchester Virginia. The Union objective is the depot, worth 75 Objective Points. Union Major Defeat is -325 points, Minor Defeat is -125, Minor Victory is 275, and Major Victory is 475. The Union OOB consists of much of I Corps under Reynolds. I get Wadsworth's Division, Robinson's Division, and Rowley's Brigade of Doubleday's Division, plus some artillery.

My plan is to place Wadsworth on the left, Robinson in the center, and Rowley in reserve at the depot. The artillery will be on the heights above the objective and on the heights to the left. The extra supply wagons will be hidden in the rear and the cavalry will provide security.

In the training game, David captured some artillery that I left on the right to cover Cutler's (Wadsworth)reinforcements. Fortunately I was able to recapture them. This time I'm moving them to the center immediately.

VIII Corps

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:24 am 

The image hosting service 'Photobucket' was down for site maintenance yesterday. So today I tried to create an account. I knew I already had an account, but I didn't remember my username or password. Well, Photobucket did, so I had to go through all that. Turns out I had some relevant photos that I plan to post already stored there.

Here is the map of Stephenson's Depot with my rough plan on it:

Conveniently, there is only one objective in this scenario, represented by the red hex. When I turn off units, the objective turns off as well. Is this normal and can I turn off units without turning off objectives? Also, when I turn off units, the unit's 'ghosts' are still visible at their location, represented by a black outlined hex.

I'll post a current map after the next turn.

VIII Corps

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:28 pm 

I swear that the photo was working earlier, but the PB site is still undergoing maintenance. I can't even login at this moment, so an updated photo is not possible for now.

We're at turn 4 of 18, and I just drew first blood (about a half-dozen CSA troopers - scouting in the west). Unfortunately, my unit is in danger of being eliminated. Maybe not.

My eastern arty is almost to the center - they are the range 13 tubes, which I prefer to use for shorter ranges (say ~4-6). My long range artillery fired at some cavalry, to "no effect", but those red legs just love to shoot at cavalry.

My biggest decision is whether or not to occupy the prepared breastworks which exist at the start of the game. Pros include increased protection, cons include somewhat higher visibility and my suspicion that it is a designer's trap.

VIII Corps

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:21 pm 

Hopefully this is a map at turn 5 of 18:

The unit that was in danger routed in good order (in that it went the right way).

It seems like the enemy is attacking on the left; I think there's an infantry brigade and a cavalry brigade. It may be a feint, so I'm going to continue with my current plan. I've got most of my brigade of cavalry on the right to cover Cutler's arrival. Reynolds arrived.

VIII Corps

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:21 pm 

Hmm. The image problem is on my end somehow...

VIII Corps

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:24 pm 

Well, I remember the old Photobucket, which would host images for posting FOR FREE. They've changed their policy and now want $400 per year for third party hosting. Nope.

As soon as I find a free third party hosting site I'll post the map.

VIII Corps

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:33 pm 

Turns out I had an account at imgur that I'd forgotten about. Let's try this Raid turn 5 of 18:

I forgot to mention this earlier - we're playing JTS Campaign Gettysburg.

VIII Corps

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:50 pm 

Jay Hightower wrote:
When I turn off units, the objective turns off as well. Is this normal and can I turn off units without turning off objectives? Also, when I turn off units, the unit's 'ghosts' are still visible at their location, represented by a black outlined hex.

AFAIk no, turning off units will turn objectives off too, and the ghost outlines are also normal.

"Where to stop? I don't know. At Hell, I expect."

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:35 am 

Thank you Christian. I see that some of the developers belong to the club and I've been reading their comments with interest.

BTW, for those concerned about security, my opponent Chris agreed not to look at the AAR until after the game ends.

VIII Corps

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:26 pm 

It's "Raid" turn 7 of 18. The CSA went through the Chic Fil A drive through SW of Stephenson and seem to be maneuvering for an attack en masse (as they should :) I spotted an additional CSA brigade SW of Stephenson.

Here is the Victory screen:

Here is the map:

Stannard's big brigade arrived and will deploy near the left rear flank. Cutler's brigade is on Martinsburg Pike (US11) at the swamp (roughly Stonewall Elementary School) and will join Meredith's excellent brigade. I get no more reinforcements so I get to play the rest of the game with what you see on the map.

I've got my long range artillery in place, with Rowley's brigade creating breastworks for the artillery. My short range artillery is emplaced near Hopewell Road (?), awaiting what I anticipate will be another attack. My right is 'in the air', with the swamp and Paul's brigade acting as speedbumps.

VIII Corps

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:33 am 

We are about halfway through the game and closing to battle. CSA cavalry tried to scout the Hopewell road and found Paul's brigade and some Napoleons. Everyone likes to shoot at cavalry, so everyone who could, did.

Here is the Victory screen:

Here is the map with possible positions and fall-back positions noted:

The "Gray Fox" Cutler is moving his brigade into the woods along and south of Martinsburg Pike, while "Long Sol" Meredith is north of the road.

I moved some artillery to defend the Stephenson Road, along with Stannard's Vermont brigade. I think that the cavalry threat will diminish, so I plan to move the Napoleons and Baxter's brigade to Stephenson's Road to support Stannard. I've spotted several CSA batteries incoming, but I hope to stay a step ahead. I don't like moving artillery much, but this seems necessary.

Rowley is still in reserve, and Davis' cavalry is at the crossroads as a mobile reserve / quick reaction force (plus to keep their points out of CSA hands).

VIII Corps

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:32 am 

The game is heating up and it seems I may have to fall-back to the positions noted previously. I plan to post a turn 12 of 18 report (with maps) when we run that turn. The CSA has at least three brigades plus artillery advancing on the left at Old Charles Town Road. I think that my troops will have reacted in time to that threat but I think there are more Rebels out there. I'm somewhat concerned about an attack from the west or Hopewell road - I'm as ready as I can be, but who knows?

I'm sure that many of you enjoy the history behind the game. My curiousity led me to explore my leadership cadre: Reynolds, Wadsworth, Robinson, Cutler, Meredith, Baxter, Paul, Stannard, Rowley, and Davis (the following descriptions summarized from Wikipedia).

John Reynolds was a graduate of the USMA class of 1841 and a veteran of the Mexican War. He was captured by the CSA during the Peninsula campaign. He was considered the "best general in the army". Reynolds was killed at Gettysburg in 1863.

James Wadsworth was one of the wealthiest men in New York State and attended both Harvard and Yale. He was killed at Chancellorsville in 1864.

John Robinson was expelled from the USMA in 1838 for insubordination then rejoined the army a year later. He was a veteran of the Mexican and Seminole Wars. Robinson was awarded the Medal of Honor for his actions near Spotsylvania in 1864. He was wounded twice during the war and lost a leg. He later served as Lieutenant Governor of New York.

Lysander Cutler (the "Gray Wolf") was a Maine Indian fighter, State Senator, and businessman who moved to Wisconsin for a fresh start after his businesses failed. He was wounded several times and died from his wounds in 1865.

Solomon ("Long Sol" - he was 6'7" tall) Meredith was an Indiana farmer and politician (Sheriff and State Representative). He was wounded several times and retired to farming (raising prize-winning cattle, sheep, and horses).

Henry Baxter travelled to California in 1849 in search of gold. He was wounded several times and after the war served as minister to Honduras.

Gabriel Paul was the grandson of the founder of St. Louis MO. He graduated from the USMA in 1834 and was a veteran of the Mexican War, where he was wounded. He was seriously wounded at Gettysburg (blinded and deafened).

George Stannard was a Vermont farmer and militiaman who was captured at Harper's Ferry in 1862. He was wounded several times and after the war served as the Doorkeeper of the US House of Representatives.

Thomas Rowley was a Pennsylvania cabinetmaker who served in the Mexican War. He was wounded several times and after the was served as a US Marshal.

Benjamin Franklin ("Grimes") Davis was a graduate of the USMA class of 1854. "Our best cavalry officer" was killed at Brandy Station in 1863.

VIII Corps

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:00 pm 

It's turn 12 of 18, here is the Victory dialog:

Here is the map:

I've added some road names, which I should have done much earlier. Also note that I don't know if those would have been the correct contemporary names.

Some of my guys routed (Stannard's D quality), but I've got officers with most of them to rally / undisrupt. The attack does seem to be full on from the south / southwest. Facing the assault, I've got (l-r) Cutler in the woods, Stannard's routed brigade, and much of Baxter's brigade, backed up by artillery. Rowley is in reserve. I've got the rest of Baxter's brigade and an artillery battery en route (emplaced next turn).

I've been debating whether or not I made an error in not launching a melee attack against the cavalry earlier. I thought it might be too early to exhaust my troops and thought that there might be infantry behind them (and behind every tree and hill), but I think that I may have missed out on some points.

VIII Corps

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:58 pm 

I'll post another map at 15 or 16 of 18, then the final map.

I think I have one more monkey roll left in the time remaining. Paul will rejoin the 2nd Division (~two turns), Rowley will form the right at the crossroads (Martinsburg Pike and Hopewell Road,~one turn), Meredith's Iron Brigade will form the reserve (~two turns), and Cutler will fall back but stay in the woods (one turn). Grimes Davis and his cavalry have been chomping at the bit so they'll start hunting (probably close against the CSA cavalry).

I'm starting to plan out the next game...

VIII Corps

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:18 pm 

Thanks for posting. It is good to see an AAR posted here and I hope more officers will do the same.

Union Military Academy Instructor