American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Campaign Games
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:14 pm 

Good morning Gentleman.

I have played two PBEM Campaign games (Petersburg) and both ended early after one side or the other achieved a major victory. Is this outcome a campaign ender in all the JTS ACW games? It is also my understanding that casualties occurring in the first game of a campaign do not carry over into subsequent games in the campaign. Is that correct?

Respectfully,

Lt. Walt Dortch

UA Operations Officer
UA Wolverine Team Leader

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject: Re: Campaign Games
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:43 pm 

There are three separate campaign paths available within the Campaign Petersburg package: The June and July Campaign, The Late 1864 Campaign and The Appomattox Campaign. You can select any one of them and preview their potential depth and direction. To do this just click upon your campaign selection, name your file (for instance campaignX.cpf) and you will be presented with the Situation Dialog. Chose the side you which to explore and be sure to check the Use Expected Values box. The top selection of the chosen campaign will be highlighted. Simply select the OK button to proceed to the first portion of the campaign. From there you can see and select in sequence the various pathways available and be presented with the expected outcomes.

In former game packages a Major Victory for either side in the early battles did not necessarily end the campaign, but I am unsure of that being the case within the Petersburg package. Perhaps Rich Walker, the game' designer, can enlighten us on that. I am fairly certain, however, that casualties for both sides are carried forward within the particular campaign path selected.

Commander, Army of the Tennessee
(2011-2014 UA CoA/GinC)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:01 pm 

In the June/July Campaign, only a union major victory will end the campaign. The logic being that Petersburg has fallen, so ends the siege.

The same is true for the other two campaigns, but only a Union major victory will end the campaign, not a CSA major victory, I can see that perhaps I should adjust these so that they potentially don't end after the first battle. My logic was that that if any battle ended in a major defeat for the CSA, their defense would be doomed. On the other hand, most Union defeats would simply mean they have to regroup, and then attack again.

Regardless, I can see that ending a campaign after just one battle might be a bit premature.

Franklin, Shiloh, Chickamauga, Antietam, Atlanta, Chancellorsville, Petersburg and Shenandoah

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:27 pm 

Hello Rich

Thanks for this reply. So is this logic generally what applies in other Campaign games in the series? The other question I have is whether losses carry over from game to game within a particular campaign?

UA Operations Officer
UA Wolverine Team Leader

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:24 am 

Walt Dortch wrote:
Hello Rich

Thanks for this reply. So is this logic generally what applies in other Campaign games in the series? The other question I have is whether losses carry over from game to game within a particular campaign?

Yes, but there are level recoverys depending on the inteerval between battles.

Franklin, Shiloh, Chickamauga, Antietam, Atlanta, Chancellorsville, Petersburg and Shenandoah

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:27 am 

Walt Dortch wrote:
Hello Rich

BTW, each games in the series is different, so the Petersburg logic would not apply to the other games,

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:16 am 

Hi Rich

Thanks for both replies. Is there any way to find out what the campaign logic of the various games ahead of getting started on one?

UA Operations Officer
UA Wolverine Team Leader

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:07 pm 

I guess checking the campaign out with the campaign editor is a way to do.

"Where to stop? I don't know. At Hell, I expect."

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:37 pm 

In Campaign Overland, there are several campaigns; the Historical Campaign takes you through all the major battles: Wilderness, Spotsylvania, North Anna, and Cold Harbor; the "What if" Campaign (I forget the actual name) takes you on a similar path but has many more branches and some hypothetical engagements -- for example, it allows Grant to choose a westward movement as opposed to his historical eastward advance across the Rapidan and into the Wilderness; there is also a Cavalry Campaign -- like the historical campaign, this campaign game takes the opponents through all the major cavalry fights during the 1864 Overland Campaign and suggests a point scoring system to determine the winner based on the number and level of victories across the cavalry engagements.

So yes, each game title is different in terms of campaigning.