American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Civil War Bucket List
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:39 am 

Anyone have a Civil War Bucket List location to visit?

Mine remains Pohnpei in the middle of the Pacific. I mean, come on. So many reasons.

https://emergingcivilwar.com/2017/04/07/ecw-weekender-the-farthest-battlefield-css-shenandoah-at-pohnpei/

Otherwise, I'd like to get down to Palmito Ranch someday as that battlefield seems like a good one to check off the list.

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 4:20 pm 

Pohnpei - interesting. "A friendly and enchanting island awaits" your arrival (https://visitpohnpei.travel/).

The CSS Shenandoah's action there was against some whalers in April 1865. It occurred after it had visited Australia (https://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-01-25/australias-link-to-american-civil-war-remembered/6044832) to undergo repairs. The crew of the CSS Shenandoah enjoyed some shore leave in Melbourne, even attending a "buccaneer's ball" in Ballarat. Ballarat being the site where Australia's 'armed rebellion' occurred - the Eureka Stockade [the Eureka Flag is my avatar here]. 42 Australians joined the CSS Shenandoah before it departed our shores so they would have been present at Pohnpei. They are the only Australians that I know of who may have participated in the Civil War.

Top of my 'bucket list' was Memorial Avenue in Richmond. Sadly, no more.

First Corps
Army of Northern Virginia

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:52 pm 

I would love to go to Shiloh!

What is on the top of your bucket list?

Mine is;
1) Never go to prison.
So far so good. Lol

Army of the Tennessee
USA

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 12:04 am 

Very neat find Blake!! Certainly never knew about it.

I'd like to see Shiloh as well. Bentonville too.....complete the surrender site circuit.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:19 am 

I'm headed to the VA Peninsula tomorrow for a tour of the 1862 Seven Days campaign and the 1864 Overland end-game at Cold harbor and Petersburg. I told my wife that would wrap up my bucket list but my brother reminded me we still need to do the Red River campaign in LA.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:49 pm 

Blake wrote:
Anyone have a Civil War Bucket List location to visit?

Mine remains Pohnpei in the middle of the Pacific. I mean, come on. So many reasons.

https://emergingcivilwar.com/2017/04/07/ecw-weekender-the-farthest-battlefield-css-shenandoah-at-pohnpei/

Otherwise, I'd like to get down to Palmito Ranch someday as that battlefield seems like a good one to check off the list.

While you're saving up for that trip to Pohnpei, you could visit the site of the only naval battle in Oklahoma history.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ambush_of ... ._Williams

Never heard of this until I watched Bass Reeves on Paramount+, which opens with a depiction of the Battle of Pea Ridge.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:34 am 

It's always enjoyable to find little known Civil War monuments or markers in the most random of places.

The same with battles fought by former generals after the war. Whether it is Custer at Bighorn, Loring in Egypt, or Wheeler in Cuba, all would make for interesting destinations to visit.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:50 pm 

Fort Wilkins in Michigan is the northernmost Michigan fort garrisoned during the war. Beautiful place to visit if you are ever in the mood to be in the middle of nowhere up on the Keweenaw.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:21 pm 

Shiloh is a great visit as I was there about a 6 weeks ago. Just be sure to bring a book with some maps as the field is just as confusing today as it must have been back then. Also after talking to one of the Rangers realize the woods were much thinner back then compared to today and that will help things make a bit more sense as well. Might get another trip in before I move if time allows. Only about 1.5 hours from where I'm at in Memphis.

Union Military Academy Instructor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:17 am 

Shiloh is a great visit as I was there about a 6 weeks ago. Just be sure to bring a book with some maps as the field is just as confusing today as it must have been back then. Also after talking to one of the Rangers realize the woods were much thinner back then compared to today and that will help things make a bit more sense as well. Might get another trip in before I move if time allows. Only about 1.5 hours from where I'm at in Memphis.

Very cool Mark and good to know the woods are more dense now than back then.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:54 am 

The best way to visit the larger battlefields is to install the apps from the Civil War Trust website onto your cellphone. https://www.battlefields.org/visit/mobile-apps/civil-war-battle-maps-app

Then, as long as you have cell/satellite coverage you can see your location on the annotated battlefield, and it tracks you as you are walking around. The trick is to download all the maps and media content into your phone while you are at home or hotel before you set out.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:43 pm 

God bless the tour apps. While I do still walk around with the ridiculously good Trailhead Graphics Maps (now out of print), these apps make life much easier.

Trailhead Graphics Maps made visiting a battlefield super easy and fun. With a complete listing of every monument and tablet on the battlefield, they were indispensable to those of us who wanted to see "everything." I don't know if any other company will print something like this in the future. I hope it is done by the park service online at some point but I have never seen anything like it from NPS.

The maps might seem unnecessary when monuments are along a main road, but when you got to Chickamauga or Shiloh, there is no way to know from the main roads how many monuments are buried in the middle of wooded areas - far away from the beaten trails and roads. These maps made finding them possible - and also a bit like a treasure hunt.