American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 1:46 am 

Cool thread!

Computer Programmer/Analyst/Tester/Debugger/Report Writer/Engineer. My wife thinks I prefer the software to her! hehehe

May Dad in the Air Force married a nurse in Oz, Topeka, Kansas, while he was at Forbes, AFB.

1st Set of Wakeman's born away from Fairield, CT, where the clan is from.

1st three board games Midway, Wooden Ships & Iron Men, Squad Leader. Cannot remember which I got 1st. Maybe Jutland? hehehe

1st Computer, Apple IIe, my little brother had the Commodore, had to show him up.

Whole history of family in military from revolution thru 2nd Gulf War.

Hell, even a couple of Wakeman women joined up as men! Sara Rosetta.

Working now with World Vision Australia. (Wife's Australian)

Most of the lefties working there really hate me, either because I am an American or because I love the military.

I really miss Taco Bell, Red Lobster, and Outback Steakhouse. Go figure! Cannot find a decent steakhouse in Australia. Lone Star Steakhouse just closed their doors. ugh!

Cheers,

<font color="gold"><b>Lt. Col. </b></font id="gold">Paul Wakeman, <font color="limegreen">Sharpshooter</font id="limegreen">
<font color="beige">3rd</font id="beige"> '<font color="red">Jayhawk</font id="red">' <font color="beige">Brigade
1st Light Inf. Div.</font id="beige">
<b>XIX Corps, AoS,<font color="gold"> USA</font id="gold"></b>

Cartographer

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 7:27 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by PAW1860</i>
<br />
I really miss Taco Bell, Red Lobster, and Outback Steakhouse. Go figure! Cannot find a decent steakhouse in Australia. Lone Star Steakhouse just closed their doors. ugh!
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Col. Wakeman,

I am so-o-o disappointed. From all the commercials, I thought Outback Steakhouse WAS an Australian outfit! [:(]

But then again, I thought Taco Bell was a Mexican restaurant and Pizza Hut was Italian. Obviously, I need to get out more [:D]!

Your humble servant,
LGen 'Dee Dubya' Mallory

David W. Mallory
ACW - Lieutenant General, First ('Grey Line') Corps, AotM
CCC - Corporal, Georgia Volunteers, Southern Regional Deaprtment, Colonial American Army

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:36 am 

Ah, the Power of US Marketing!

Well, suffice to say, almost every chain in Oz is from US. Only Red Rooster and few other samll fast food are Australian.

We have Friday's and Lone Star Steakhouse (which just closed).

We have a few local Mexican chains - Taco Bill, but it sucks. Nachos and Nandos (Potuguese theme).

I miss the Bennigan's, Apple Bees, Cheesecake Factory. Chi-Chi's, and any place that makes a Philly Cheesesteak!

Here, no chains, but plenty of good Italian & Greek places.

Melbourne has a continental Eurpoe flair.

Cheers,

<font color="gold"><b>Lt. Col. </b></font id="gold">Paul Wakeman, <font color="limegreen">Sharpshooter</font id="limegreen">
<font color="beige">3rd</font id="beige"> '<font color="red">Jayhawk</font id="red">' <font color="beige">Brigade
1st Light Inf. Div.</font id="beige">
<b>XIX Corps, AoS,<font color="gold"> USA</font id="gold"></b>

Cartographer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 12:35 pm 

I work in an accounting department for a financial institution. A decent job if you don't mind sitting at a desk all day.

I got my start in wargaming in the early 90s with Avalon Hill's Great Campaigns of the Civil War boardgames (Here Come the Rebels, Stonewall Jackson's Way, etc). Then I got a computer. After playing some of the old SSI games (good games, bad graphics) I discovered the Talonsoft games on sale. After tiring of playing the AI I found our club on the internet.

Like Scott Ludwig I also reside in New York State but not NYC. I live a few miles away from Revolutionary War sites Fort Stanwix and Oriskany.

Lt.Colonel Dale Lastowicka
1st "Adirondack" Division
XXV Corps
Army of the James
dalelast4@juno.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:08 pm 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by dalelast</i>
<br />Like Scott Ludwig I also reside in New York State but not NYC. I live a few miles away from Revolutionary War sites Fort Stanwix and Oriskany.

Lt.Colonel Dale Lastowicka
1st "Adirondack" Division
XXV Corps
Army of the James
dalelast4@juno.com
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Hey Dale your in the heart of Rev. War country in NYS!! Between Rome and Utica leading to the fun part of the state and shall I say breath taking too the Adirondacks...no I didn't mean Albany!! Hehehe!! [:D][:D]

<center>---------------------------------------------------------------------------
[url="http://www.scott-ludwig.com/"]<b>Colonel Scott Ludwig</b>[/url]

Commanding Officer
[url="http://scott-ludwig.com/ACWGC/ANV"]Army of Northern Virginia
[/url]CSA

[url="http://www.scott-ludwig.com/ACWGC/index.html"]Personal Command Tent[/url]

For the Glory of Virginia!!</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 7:14 pm 

Where do I start? I was raised in Wink Texas with Roy Orbison and Wahoo McDaniel. I went to Robert E Lee High School in Midland Texas with Laura Bush. I played a duet with Doc Severinson on our school band spring concert. I married my high school sweetheart and we have two wonderful children, a daughter who is a paramedic in Austin, TX and a son who is graduating fom high school this year. I was a band director in public schools for 23 years and served in the US Army reserves as a field artillery officer for 13 years. After losing my hearing to those two careers I switched over and started teaching computer science and Cisco Networking. I actually retired from teaching for two years and went to work in Houston for a network servicing company and was working at the Enron Building downtown when they bit the dust. I decided to go back into teaching and am now teaching computer science and Cisco Networking in a small town just north of Corpus Christi.

I started off with the Avlon Hill games. Midway was first and then the 1963 version of Gettysburg. I have most of my board games still with several of them still unpunched. My favorites were Miday, Gettysburg, Blitzkrieg, and Battle of the Bulge. I discovered this club and got involved a little over two years ago. I have had the privelege of playing many wonderful people and meeting some in person last year at Antietam when I made my dream trip to Gettysburg and walked Picket's charge on July 2nd. It was an undescribable feeling to walk over that ground knowing what happened there in 1863. Even more inspiring was the climb up to the undeveloped battleground at McDowell and standing where the 12th Ga. made their stand on Sittlington Hill. I was completely alone there and walking that area visualizing Jackson and Milroy's troops squaring off on that hilltop was something I will always remember. I am looking forward to Richmond this summer and hope to meet many of you there.

Lt. Gen. Don Adams
5th Texas "Lone Star" Cavalry Brigade
I/III ANV
http://www.rootsandsaddles.com/index.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 9:10 pm 
Retired Army, now postal worker. Board wargames '60's to 80's.
Computer wargames 80's to present. On www.theblitz.org since May '99 and one of the first half dozen folks on their civil war ladder when it was created in Sept '99. Live in PA not far from Gettysburg.

BGen, 2/XIX/AoS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 10:10 pm 

Where to start?

I was born in New Brunswick, New Jersey in 1959 where my parents were attending university. My parents worked for the US government (not the military) so we moved around a bit. I graduated from high school in Lincoln, Nebraska.

My start in gaming was in a club at boarding school with AH/SPI games at age 13. My hobbies include target archery (Olympic style not 3D) and motorcycles. I started playing with the club this past spring.

I served 12 years active duty (leaving active duty during the drawdown in '92) and turned into a reservist. I'm currently a Lt Col in the Air Force Reserves.

I'm working as a defense contractor at a shared RAF/ USAF base in North Yorkshire, England but have worked as a contractor in Australia and Germany before moving here. I haven't lived in the States since '89 but am probably returning to the US this summer due to staff changes on the contract I work on. If anyone knows of a good job for someone with a BS in Electrical Engineering and a MS in Computer Engineering please let me know.

Chuck Berdanier
Maj, 2/1/IX, AoO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 10:35 pm 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by caberdanier</i>
I'm working as a defense contractor at a shared RAF/ USAF base in North Yorkshire, England<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Sir, would that be Menwith Hill near Harrogate, the one with the giant 'golf balls'? I live in York myself, not too far away from there.

Lt. Gen. Antony Barlow
CO, XIV Corps,
XO, Army of the Cumberland

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 10:40 pm 

Yes sir it is. I've been surprised by the number of people within the club who say they're from York or Yorkshire. Perhaps a local gathering would be welcome at a village hall for a multiplayer game would be an idea worth investigating.

Chuck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:31 am 
Fascinating thread; thanks for starting/contributing to it, y'all.

5th-generation Californian; great-great-grandparents were living in the Gold Country (Sierra Nevada foothills, Calaveras County) during the ACW, apparently not involved in the war in any way; also a 4th-generation citizen of the People's Republic of Santa Cruz, which my teenage daughters think is quaint. The rest of the ancestors came to the US in the early 1900s, from Ireland and Croatia.

No military service for me; I was exempt from the Vietnam draft (4-G), passed on an appt to West Point, got my undergrad degree here in the SF Bay Area, went to law school in DC, and spent some time doing national politics.

I finally got sick of lawyers and ideologues, came home to Silicon Valley and learned to program water-cooled computers when state-of-the-art storage was an 8.5 inch floppy. I've been designing and building telecomm systems for 20+ years. The first product I worked on transported data at 9.6Kbps, while the current project I'm on runs about 2 billion times faster; in the '80's, a product helped build was (for a little while) *the* backbone of the Internet (NSFNet).

I got into ACW gaming with A-H's 1963 version of Gettysburg when I was a kid, and came back to it when I got the Talonsoft version for the PC a few years ago. In between was a very eerie visit to Devils Den at Gettysburg. I joined the ACWGC 2 yrs ago when beating the AI play solitaire was no longer a challenge, but didn't start playing regularly until about 3 months ago.

I'm not really interested in non-ACW games. I've tried TOAW and some of the other WWII games, but they just don't do it. For me, it's all about the history of the period, not just the game-play.

Lt. Col. Dan'l Murphy
1st Calif. Volunteers
The Bear Flag Rangers
4th/2nd/III/AoG/CSA

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:35 pm 

Just updating an OLD thread

ACWGC Records Site Admin

"If you do not know where you are going, any road will take you there."

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:37 pm 

And again, just to make sure,

ACWGC Records Site Admin

"If you do not know where you are going, any road will take you there."

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:30 pm 

Adding in my part to the "club member mosaic" .....

Grew up in the Los Angeles area. Went from playing Risk and the old American Heritage board games to AH Luftwaffe, joined a local wargame club at Cal State Northridge (CSUN) in 1975. Played miniatures (Johnny Reb at one point) and just really loved it.

Went to hear Jim Dunnigan at UCLA speak on the future of computer wargaming. What he said in his talk has come true. While the computer handles a lot of the things for us (when was the last time you set up a scenario of JTS Chickamauga ;)) there are still obvious issues that it cannot resolve for us. However, the consensus was that for better or worse it was better in many ways. Hidden movement, a computer never makes mistakes on the combat calculations or your movement costs, etc. Was just nice to meet Mr. Dunnigan after playing so many of the SPI games.

Joined the US Air Force in 1979. Worked at NSA as a military analyst. They stuck me in a "ground shop" where I worked an army problem. Oh joy! Never did go to the field sites but I sure enjoyed Maryland and the countryside. Did two trips to Gettysburg. Totally memorable experiences!

During my military time in Maryland at Fort Meade I trusted Christ as my Saviour. Life changing experience. Started attending bible studies and church. Made a huge impact on me not only emotionally but mentally. In one month I had learned to finger pick 50 tunes on my guitar. I had until then only been able to strum. My grades in school changed from a C+/B- to almost straight As.

Got out of the military and worked in the Industrial Security field (locks, safes, documents, etc) keeping our nations info from getting into the wrong hands and making sure that brainy folks didn't accidentally take documents out of the facility! LOL Did that with three companies and then in 1996 I went into the IT field. I worked in that until 2001 when I was asked to move on into the IT Security profession. They needed someone that had my background in both security AND IT to do audits, write manuals, inventory the equipment, work with inspectors, etc. This was good as in 1998 I suffered a minor stroke and needed to move on from the IT work. I literally can pass out if I think too hard while work on computers.

In 2004 I figured that I was heading for an early death if I stayed in the computer work so I left my company of 17+ years and moved from Calif. to Idaho. I enjoyed 9+ wonderful years there and after my mom died in 2013 I came back (reluctantly) to Calif. in 2014 to deliver my mom's things to my sister. Living with friends, renting a room and now down here in San Diego as of March. Its been a real experience to say the least.

As most of you know in 1998 I contacted John Tiller and we have hooked up for 9 computer games in the Napoleonic series. I am working on #10. #9 should release sometime this month or early February. I also have a new Napoleonic series I am working on with a known programmer. Its a brigade level series and if it works out well I will port it over to the ACW and create another games series for this period as well.

I also am an author and will publish my first book this year via Amazon.

I enjoyed 3 memorable backpack trips in the Sierras as well as numerous camping trips either solo, with a small group or with a church group. I love road trips and some day would like to visit New Zealand, Australia and parts of Europe. Oh yes, more of Canada too! Vancouver is the loveliest city in North America. Would like to go back there again!

Life has been wonderful since I trusted Christ. I never would have made this this far without Him.

Aside: I drove buses for 20 years for my church and public schools. I hope never to either ride or drive a bus ever again! ROFL :lol:

Optional Rules I Use in WDS ACW Games:
(by column from left to right)
Column 1: All ON except for Man. Def. Fire; Column 2: All ON except for Alt Fixed Unit Rel.; Column 3: All ON except for Art.Capt. & Prop.Op.Fire

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:02 am 

I left school at 16 and was pressed into the Navy, did 22.5 years and had a great time at public expense. Got into production management for a few years and then moved to mining. Spent a number of years in outback Australia at an underground mine looking after contractors and working on cost down. Left work to train full time for long course triathlon; Ironman etc. Now I do some part time work, but still triathlon training. Married to a very understanding lady, who's only real failing is that she is under the delusion that the American Civil War ended in 1865.

The ACWGC is the only gaming club that I belong to and 99.5% of my gaming is ACW. A guy I met in the USN introduced me to the game Terrible Swift (Slow) Sword and I was hooked. I went out a got the game and the first time I played it I was the Rebs and I have been so ever since. I have most of the GBACW regimental series board games - they were beautiful works of art. Found Battleground Gettysburg in 1998, but not the club until 2007.

My only weakness are; Craft beer, single malt whisky, black powder guns and carbon fibre bikes.
My other hobbies are getting Americans to use proper English spelling and educating them on the metric system :mrgreen:

Brigade Commander
Alabama State Volunteers
Cleburne's Division
Hardee's Corps
(1/1/1)
Army of Tennessee

Confederate States of America

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next