American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 12:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 4:58 pm 

Am considering buying this game, and rejoining the club after a long time away. Have the series improved over what was there several years ago? Please let me know so I can decide what to get in the series:-)

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 6:42 pm 

Campaign Gettysburg is a very good one and any of the others in the series are fine, also. Of course, there are many opinions out there.[:D]

<b><font color="gold">Ernie Sands
LtGen, CO XXIII Corps, AoO
President, Colonial Campaigns Club
</b></font id="gold">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 9:43 pm 

Yes, definately. The campaign is great, but even if you just wanted to play the Battle of Gettysburg on its own, you get to do it on a much bigger map. Is it better than the other HPS titles? I don't know. I have Corinth and that is superb too.

General Antony Barlow
Army of the Cumberland

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 1:06 am 

I think it certainly is. There's more content in this one titles than all 5 BG games combined.

LGen. Hamilton
II Corps
ANV, CSA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 1:09 am 

"Of course, there are many options out there". I agree Ernie. So many options, so little time.

To the orginial poster, GB is well worth it.

Gen. Doug Burke

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 1:14 am 

Right--why does HPS have to make so many games? Who can ever play them all? [:(]

Gen. Walter, USA
AoS / War College

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 1:34 am 

If they still have their special pricing for three games you might consider buying three. I highly recommend Gettysburg and Corinth for two of them. I would lean toward Pennisula for third but I don't own the two other western games so really can't compare.

I included Corinth because in its 1.01a version you can design your own games (change OOB's, maps, etc). As a result you can find almost every battle fought in the download sections of the club or related sites. It is also the engine of choice for many of the multiplayer games going like "Fight the War" and Ken Miller's because of this flexibility.

But if you are a die-in-the-wool Battlegrounder get ready for a paradigm shift.[:D] It looks a lot like Battleground but its underlying mechanics have changed.

BG. Kennon Whitehead
Chatham Grays
III Corps, AoM (CSA)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 1:35 am 

HPS Campaign Gettysburg! If you could only get one HPS game, this would be THE one. It comes with over 300 scenarios and an additional 2000that are downloadable from Rich Hamilton's site! A lifetime of playing with just this one game, for sure and already, we are seeing people do MORE scenarios as if it did not come with enough. [:D]

Of course you should really get HPS Campaign Corinth to compliment it. Corinth has some flexibility that was eliminated in the Gettysburg game in that you could alter the OOBs easier. [:(]

You will not be disappointed in either and we would gladly welcome you back into the fold whenever you are ready!

Lt. Gen. Don Adams
5th Texas "Lone Star" Cavalry Brigade
I/III ANV
http://www.rootsandsaddles.com/index.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 1:43 am 

I tend to think Corinth also has the greater variety in campaign branches and scenarios. Gettysburg has the most scenarios in absolute numbers, but the number of different maps is rather small and the bulk of the scenarios is just variations on a few basic setups. Anyway, if I could only get two games, it would be Corinth and Gettysburg for me.

Gen. Walter, USA
AoS / War College

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 2:10 am 

Waves the Ozark Flag [:D]

While they are smaller battle, Pea Ridge and Prarie Grove are my two favorite scenarios in any of these games, especially Pea Ridge. The Mad Scramble!

Good sized map for the forces involved, lots of covered terrain, and the ultimate question

"Where in creation are those rebs at????"

Brig. General Gary McClellan
1st Division, XXIII Corps
AoO,USA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 5:14 am 

Ah a voice from the past, hope you're doing well Ken. This time maybe it would be you being confused for me. [:D]

As to HPS Gettysburg, it has some problems, open to some ahistorical tactics IMO but if you find someone who plays the same way as you do I would say its an improvement, the larger maps do allow you to explore more tactical options.

Lt.Gen.Ken Miller
Veteran's Divsion
VIII / AoS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 7:02 am 

Dear sir,

1) Yes, definitely. (My favorite is still Corinth--but I'm a westerner in the first place and I haven't played a lot from the Gettysburg game yet.)

2) Regarding the 'special offer': It's 5-for-3, so if you can afford three of the HPS games you can have the other two at the same time at no additional charge. (Contact Rich Hamilton.)

3) ANOTHER Miller named Ken? Oh, boy [:)] !

Your humble servant,
LGen 'Dee Dubya' Mallory

David W. Mallory
ACW - Lieutenant General, Chief of the Armies, Confederate States of America
CCC - Corporal, Georgia Volunteers, Southern Regional Deaprtment, Colonial American Army

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 7:11 am 

I like it, but I have to admit I prefer the old Talonsoft switch for everyturn version. When the computer does auto defensive fire it tends to promote Blitzkrieg type offensives that I think are unrealistic. Just my opinion.

Major General Don Golen
Army of the Potomac, USA!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 7:06 pm 
i a new to this club but not new to campaign gettysburg. for playing the whole ACW the older impressions game "civil war generals 2 lee,grant,and sherman" is very good except you cannot PBEM only play against the ai and direct internet play(which i do not care for personally). the ai is pretty good.
my point though is that campaign gettysburg in my opinion handles the ai decently for smaller engagements but for larger battles it does a poor job. i knew that ahead of time when i got campaign gettysburg.in playing it against a human it is a very great game. since in this club the idea is primarily to play games against other HUMANS i think it is unfair to possibly give the impression that the campaign gettysburg is not a good game. what i have done to play by myself(which is what playing against the ai is for) is play it by 2 player hotseat then i play both sides. normally that would not be that much fun because it is hard to be impartial and based on the knowledge of knowing what is going on for both sides would normally ruin the game experience. what i have done is institute a series of not too complicated command and control rules and it works great. that way knowing info does not usually allow you to actually do much about it based on the restrictions of the rules for command and control. i hope this ishelpful to all who read it.
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by RE Daley</i>
<br />As a newcomer to the board, and the Rebel I am.....I shall be somewhat careful and fair as to what opinion I state.

After playing and only against the AI, all the Battleground Series since titled, I remain disappointed with most of the Campaign Gettysburg's Scenarios. Campaign Pennisula is worse than Gettysburg.

That is, I really thought that after all these years, and while being similiar in design engine, the AI would be smarter. However, the intelligence of the AI can be greatly improved by the designer. I think more thought into the orders given to the AI should have been considered before product release.

On the other hand, the map is beauitful and I like the improved Combat Results and Fatigue factors. I will enjoy designing scenarios with this engine and will assure that the Union AI will stay and fight instead of siding back to the streets of Washington.....When the opportunity is given to me, I will enjoy playing against a human.

In conclusion, I have little regret in purchasing the game. It's going to be fun.....

RE Daley
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

NEW RECRUIT CSA
DUTY IS MINE. CONSEQUENCES ARE GOD'S.
ALWAYS CONFOUND,MYSTIFY,AND SURPRISE THE ENEMY

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 10:16 pm 

Hey, I would love to play them all. I like every single one of them (except the air stuff).

I just can't find the time. [xx(]

Gen. Walter, USA
AoS / War College